PDA

View Full Version : handling problem

Jim Burns
7th May 2011, 12:02 AM
Help!! my mini feels like the back end is going to let loose when going round a sharp corner (reasonable speed), i had eibach springs fitted & a bit better, i discovered that i have runflats front & normal tyres rear will this make my cornering feel 'squigy'??.
Also have a problem with rear brakes sticking slightly (new discs/pads fitted proffesionaly 500 miles ago) is this a common problem??
thanks

Gismo
7th May 2011, 02:42 AM
Get your tyres sorted out to be the same front and rear, differing grip levels, either all run flats or all non, should be better

Mon the fish
7th May 2011, 07:36 AM
Runflats on front only should give you understeer rather than oversteer. The mini does have a better balanced chassis than other small cars, which can be improved by fitting a stiffer rear anti-roll bar like mine :smilewinkgrin:

Have you had the alignment checked?

Craig
7th May 2011, 08:16 AM
Rear calipers seizing is a common fault. Can be serviced but normally are replaced....

Big Gordy
7th May 2011, 05:51 PM
Rear calipers seizing is a common fault

How true :argh: I'm on my second off-side rear :frown:

Jim Burns
8th May 2011, 02:26 AM
thanks for the reply's, am looking at changing all 4 tyres (kids onboard at times so have to be safe), think i will get the rear calipers replaced as well (safety first), alingment was checked yesterday & is ok, what anti roll bar is recommended & will it help the handling??
Thanks

Mon the fish
8th May 2011, 08:11 PM
The S comes with anti-roll bars; I've replaced the standard rear with a stiffer one - this helps to 'rotate' the car a bit better, helping the back end turn, and reducing understeer.

Potentially it could lead to oversteer, but I've not had any unexpected slides, and it definitely helps the car turn in better, as the back follows the front, if you get what I mean.

Jim Burns
6th June 2011, 12:52 AM
changed my runflats at the front for dunlop superspeed, what a differance, much quieter & handling sorted, like a new car brilliant

Gismo
6th June 2011, 06:29 AM
changed my runflats at the front for dunlop superspeed, what a differance, much quieter & handling sorted, like a new car brilliantNice one

Craig
6th June 2011, 07:16 AM
Good news Jim ;)

stoney
6th June 2011, 07:44 AM
changed my runflats at the front for dunlop superspeed, what a differance, much quieter & handling sorted, like a new car brilliant

glad you have your prob sorted :thumbs up:

GCA3N
6th June 2011, 08:37 AM
Sounds good,but is it ok to run non rf's with rf's?

Thinking down the insurance route too if they would say anything.

Colin
6th June 2011, 09:28 AM
Sounds good,but is it ok to run non rf's with rf's?

Thinking down the insurance route too if they would say anything.

He already had normal tyres on the rear Greig.

GCA3N
6th June 2011, 09:47 AM
He already had normal tyres on the rear Greig.

ah right I see.:thumbs up: