PDA

View Full Version : Runflats

Crombers
3rd May 2011, 07:00 PM
One of my front runflats is flat :argh:

Pirelli Eufori & Camskill's are looking for £130.68 :lol:

Now as yet I have no idea whether some we fud has been at it or if I have damaged the tyre (nail etc etc) in some way.

The tyres have a healthy amount of tread left but unsure whether run a brand new tyre on one side with what I currently have on the other :confused:

Then again I was thinking of maybe fitting two new non runflats on the front, I take it there is no issue here :confused:

Any tips for the old fart here, will be welcomed.

The Dogfather
3rd May 2011, 07:55 PM
Changing RFs to non RF you need to do all four.

Mixing old with new isn't terrible as long as the brand is the same and tread isn't massively worn.

For the amount that you drive the MINI I'd just stick the one RF on.

Craig
3rd May 2011, 08:13 PM

Mixing old with new isn't terrible as long as the brand is the same and tread isn't massively worn.

For the amount that you drive the MINI I'd just stick the one RF on.

Yep, wot he said. If the car hasn't been driven on flat though, then you could get it repaired if it's got a fair amount of tread left ;)

The Dogfather
3rd May 2011, 08:18 PM
Don't pirreli say that the euforis can't be repaired, just repeating what I've heard elsewhere though....

Crombers
3rd May 2011, 08:51 PM
Don't pirreli say that the euforis can't be repaired, just repeating what I've heard elsewhere though....

Yeah should have said, Pirelli do not recommend repair and as such no one will touch em

Crombers
3rd May 2011, 08:54 PM

Why is that?

Craig
3rd May 2011, 09:03 PM
Why is that?

due to the characteristics of the tyres. Runflats are harder and have less feel, where std tyres are softer and have more feel, so you may have them on the fronts and push harder, for the back tyres not the keep up in the grip stakes and you end up backwards into a hedge !

Crombers
3rd May 2011, 09:22 PM
due to the characteristics of the tyres. Runflats are harder and have less feel, where std tyres are softer and have more feel, so you may have them on the fronts and push harder, for the back tyres not the keep up in the grip stakes and you end up backwards into a hedge !

Fun eh! , cheers for the tip :thumbs up:

The Dogfather
3rd May 2011, 09:33 PM
mind you your not known for pressing on so I doubt there's much to worry about

Crombers
4th May 2011, 12:47 PM
mind you your not known for pressing on so I doubt there's much to worry about

Indeed I am not :rolleyes:

N16SHP
4th May 2011, 01:52 PM
I'd agree with Paul. When I picked up a puncture on my RF's, i replaced both as they were pretty worn down so I thought best to try and keep them as close as poss, but if the wear is not too bad on the other, as Paul rightly said, just replace the one.

Scottie
4th May 2011, 05:06 PM
what tyres are these the ones you got with my wheels or are they long worn out??? cause the ones you got from me are not RF

Crombers
9th May 2011, 06:22 PM
Update:

Turns out that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the tyre as I've now had it checked out twice but I still keep loosing pressure. Ive now handed the wheel back to the refurb company to see if they can see anything untoward (they gave me a spare Bridge Spoke that they had lying about.

Anyone had any issues after alloy refurbs?

Delboy
9th May 2011, 07:28 PM
Sounds like the wheel might be porous. Not sure if the refurb process can do this to a wheel that was previously sound??

Crombers
9th May 2011, 08:59 PM
Sounds like the wheel might be porous. Not sure if the refurb process can do this to a wheel that was previously sound??

Yup, may be the case. I've looked at other sites regarding this problem & they advise to use tyre gunk to fix. No problem with alloy pre refurb so just trying to tick off all possibilities.

Craig
9th May 2011, 09:13 PM
Could also be a fault with the seal round the rim as you've had that fault before ... Best dunk it I'n a big bath of water and it will show up ;)

Colin
9th May 2011, 09:16 PM
I had two leaking wheels on a previous non mini. It was leaking on the inside rim, which was damaged.

Best way to check is put the wheel and tyre under water and look out for the bubbles, stands out a mile when you do that.

If it is the rim thats leaking don't waste your money on tyre gunk, it doesn't work, I tried it!

Crombers
10th May 2011, 01:09 AM
Spoke to a lad at work tonight & he reckons it could be the wheel that's causing this. My immediate concern is getting this fixed for the weekend & I'm fast running out of time. If it's the seal at the rim then surely a refurb illiminates the risk of any contaminants preventing a decent seal between tyre & alloy. At some point I'm going to decide to bite the bullet & buy a new tyre regardless of the fact they cannot find any fault at present. Problem is that it's only when under load i.e. on the car that any pressure is lost as no air loss can be found when the wheel is off the car.

Anyone got a spare 17 that I could hire for the weekend :rolleyes: