PDA

View Full Version : A great run turned bad

GCA3N
30th April 2011, 07:50 PM
Went out for an awesome run today over to St Andrews well all was going well until a deer decided it needed to get across the road right in front of me, as you may imaging I am gutted.

Car won't get picked up until Tuesday, so it's going to be sitting outside my front door till then:frown:

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/greigallan/DSC_0011.jpg

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/greigallan/DSC_0010.jpg

Neil - TXJ
30th April 2011, 08:11 PM
Gutted for you Greig. Looks like several panels have been damaged do you think it is anything more serious?

KenL
30th April 2011, 08:17 PM
Really sad about your car and the deer. Hope you get sorted quickly.

G17RDY
30th April 2011, 08:51 PM
Oh No Greig, so sorry to hear and see that!

You must feel awful, hopefully you will manage to get things sorted quickly.

Gismo
30th April 2011, 08:57 PM
Oh deer, sorry, couldn't resist, gutted for you Grieg, knowing it'll be fixed isn't what you want to hear, it's the hassle of getting it done, hire cars etc etc.
Hoping for a speedy turn around

GCA3N
30th April 2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks folks obviously gutted but family are all ok so that's the main thing. Looks like it may need a new bonnet, there is a crease at the right light, hopefully anyway as there are a few nasty stone chips so a fresh re-sprayed bonnet will be a small consolation to today's events.

I know it's only a car but it was my pride and joy and just want it fixed already. Also have a very nice £300 excess that I was unaware, I am sure I asked for it to be lower, and my 20 years accident free finally comes to an end.

It is bizarre because afterwards I said to my wife why did I not swerve to miss it, she said well you would have hit the 2 motor bikes and car on the opposite carriageway.

I don't even recall these but it shows how your basic instinct works as I have had 2 or 3 close calls before with deer and swerved each time.

Car gets picked up on Tuesday and I have a hire car to get me to Aberdeen to work, so my baby will all being well be ready for my pick up 2 weeks later. It just so happens to be my birthday then so will be a nice pressie.

Signing off for the now hurting too much talking about it.

Again thanks all.

stoney
30th April 2011, 09:57 PM
Unlucky Greg I did the same a few year ago in my work can and sid much more damage as hit it full on the front :o

Mini Ecosse
30th April 2011, 10:17 PM
Sorry to hear about your deer encounter.
Hope a good repair will be made.

zimbo
30th April 2011, 10:31 PM
:frown: sorry to hear and see this Greig, the main thing is that you and the family are ok :yes nod:

satans little helper
30th April 2011, 11:09 PM
feeling your pain dude :sad: feckin deers!!:argh:

RobSco
1st May 2011, 12:19 AM
:frown: sorry to hear and see this Greig, the main thing is that you and the family are ok :yes nod:

My words exactly, couldn't have put it any better and I know how you will be feeling as it happened to me a few years back one early dark morning when going to my work, they run out of nowhere giving you no chance to avoid them...

Hope your all OK... Thats the main thing... :yes nod:

cooperchris
1st May 2011, 01:35 AM
Hope all is fixed soon an glad everyone is ok.

Had a couple of close calls with deer in the past an not with my car either, Picked a mate up one night from the pub, dropped him of an on the way home(4am) thought all roads will be quiet and started to have a bit of fun. Didn't expect the deer to jump the hedge. didnt think a car could stop that fast and every hair on my body was standing on end. Wasn't above 30 the rest of the way home.

AndyP & Lenore
1st May 2011, 01:48 AM
Gutted for you mate. But, it could have been so much worse. Deer and windscreens don't mix.

Thought of fitting a deer whistle? Especially now where you live.

A.

Craig
1st May 2011, 09:00 AM
Feck! Gutted mate, I'm sure it will be back to full fitness soon ;)

The Enrique's
1st May 2011, 10:08 AM
Atleast the family is okay.... I'm sure you'l be glad and smile again when your pride and joy is back in two weeks time.

Stewart
1st May 2011, 12:29 PM
Yeah I was reading about this very thing, my Uncle a Vet always goes on about this time of year and the young dear on the Roads. We need to keep in mind for the HT.

Gutted for you :frown:as you take more care of your car than most. Really sad picture I nearly spat out my afternoon Tea there when it came up.......As everyone has said thankfully no one was hurt, Cars can be repaired but I can only imagine how your feeling at your pride and joy taking a hit.

I hope its back on the drive looking like new soon…

ELFMAN
1st May 2011, 03:07 PM
Really sorry to see this Greig. At least you guys were OK, apart from the obvious fright... East to say, but panels can be fixed and paint resprayed, family can't be replaced. Look forward to seeing the car back in its full glory. Definitely a warning for all us Highland Runners...

Single Malt recommended in the mean time.

Flash_Amber
2nd May 2011, 07:40 AM
Oh No! I'm gutted for you. It's always something thats in the back of my mind when driving round the perthshire countryside, there are loads of deer where we live. Dont know if i'd be more upset about my car or the deer though!

blueworks
2nd May 2011, 09:54 AM
Gutted mate.Nice car too.
Did you take the deer home and cook it for dinner??(sorry i'll leave now)

Colin
2nd May 2011, 11:22 AM
Just seen this Greig!! Glad your all ok!!

I'm sure the car will be good as new in no time. And like you say you might get a new bonnet out of it?!

Burple
2nd May 2011, 03:04 PM
Gutted for you mate. But, it could have been so much worse. Deer and windscreens don't mix.

Thought of fitting a deer whistle? Especially now where you live.

A.

Just looked these up... Hmm.. very interesting! I've had a couple of pretty close calls in the lastfew weeks, I'm seriously tempted to try one of these. They look small enough to hide out of the way.. anybody else tried one?

Makes me very glad we didn't hit the big one we got close to on Sat night :(
Gutted for you tho Greig, you don't have to be going quick for them to make a mess like that :( Glad you're all ok tho! Hope you get it sorted without any pain!

Mini Ecosse
2nd May 2011, 03:31 PM
Just looked these up... Hmm.. very interesting! I've had a couple of pretty close calls in the lastfew weeks, I'm seriously tempted to try one of these. They look small enough to hide out of the way.. anybody else tried one?

I have two sitting beside this desktop, have been lying here for 12 months! Me thinks I will just go and fit them. easy to fit as they come with double sided tape.

Penny Louise
2nd May 2011, 05:57 PM
Soryr to hear this! Happened to a friend of mines years ago and her Audi was a write-off. Like everyone says though, there's nothing you could have done to avoid it and you should be thinking yourself lucky that you, your family and other motorists are all ok. As brutal as it is, cars are only metal at the end of the day. Hope you get it fixed soon with minimal issues!!

weefossy
2nd May 2011, 10:46 PM
Really sorry to hear about the bump, could have been a lot worse though. Glad nobody was hurt.
We have a deer whistle ready to fit before the Highland Run, only cost a couple of quid.

MINI William
3rd May 2011, 07:15 AM
Gutted for you. As others have said could have been alot worse. Hopefully you will have the car back in no time

AndyP & Lenore
3rd May 2011, 11:06 AM
http://www.deerwhistle.co.uk/index.html

£8 for a deer whistle:thumbs up: ..... £300 excess:ragin:. No brainer.

Gonna get mine ordered before the Highland Tour.

GCA3N
3rd May 2011, 09:53 PM
http://www.deerwhistle.co.uk/index.html

£8 for a deer whistle:thumbs up: ..... £300 excess:ragin:. No brainer.

Gonna get mine ordered before the Highland Tour.

Done research on these I wouldnt waste your time or money mate.

sent from my Sony Ericsson arc.

gillianmcd
3rd May 2011, 10:22 PM
Oh no! Gutted! Glad you are all ok but I feel your pain :( x

Stewart
4th May 2011, 05:29 PM
Done research on these I wouldnt waste your time or money mate.

Yeah it sounds a great idea excuse the pun, but various tests and reviews had them pegged as a waste of space.:idunno:

Scottie
4th May 2011, 06:06 PM
I had one on my Treg when we stayed up north... I still manged to hit a deer swerved out but the bum of my Treg and the bum of the deer met. I wouldn't waste your money

Duncan Stewart
8th May 2011, 08:05 PM
Ouch! :sad:
Makes me realise how lucky I was when I hit a deer recently but only needed a new bumper

Glad everyone is OK

GCA3N
30th May 2011, 03:00 PM
Garage called car should be ready Thursday Yeha only a month and 3 days since it was delivered to them.

Fingers crossed that the repair work is upto scratch.

Neil - TXJ
30th May 2011, 03:37 PM
Great news

Craig
30th May 2011, 03:41 PM
Good news Greig....;) I've been without my mini for nearly 4 months now and it's torture!!! :frown:

GCA3N
30th May 2011, 04:40 PM
Great news

Cheers Neil

Good news Greig....;) I've been without my mini for nearly 4 months now and it's torture!!! :frown:

I remember waking up one day without my much treasured Honda CRX Vtec and feeling sick to the pit of my stomach. The only thing keeping me going is knowing I am getting it back.

TBH Craig for me you are Mr mini and If I could not believe you got rid of that wee cracker. I know circumstances dictated your actions but you so need to get yourself back into another mate.

Craig
30th May 2011, 04:45 PM
Well I've been trying to work out once the sportage is here how that can happen, but no easy answers !! ;)

N16SHP
30th May 2011, 05:48 PM
Good to hear Greig!!!

Stewart
30th May 2011, 08:20 PM
Hope all goes well with the car. Be nice to see you back with the new Mods, you know the weekly thing..:smilewinkgrin:

GCA3N
30th May 2011, 08:48 PM
Hope all goes well with the car. Be nice to see you back with the new Mods, you know the weekly thing..:smilewinkgrin:

Have two already bought so i won't dissapoint ;)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

GCA3N
30th May 2011, 08:49 PM
Good to hear Greig!!!

Cheers pal.

Colin
30th May 2011, 10:30 PM
Good news you'll be itching to get behind the wheel again!!

GCA3N
30th May 2011, 11:22 PM
Good news you'll be itching to get behind the wheel again!!

Like you can't believe. I am a bit apprehensive though if i am being honest.

GCA3N
2nd June 2011, 09:58 AM
can't actually believe this but garage called today for some BULL**** excuse saying there is a fault in the wiring and it needs a new part that has to come from germany. Now looking at sometime next week, I have actually got steam coming out my ears.

Nationwide crash repair of Perth you are a bunch of ******* *********

All this compounded by the amazing service from the insurance company...eh right!!!!

zimbo
2nd June 2011, 10:10 AM
Not good Greig, insurance companies and repair companies = :frown:

Craig
2nd June 2011, 10:17 AM
Oh dear :frown:

Let's hope the job is good once you get it back :yes nod:

Penny Louise
2nd June 2011, 10:53 AM
Had bad experiences with insurance & repair companies in the past too... know how you feel! Someone rear ended my first car years ago and my insurance company at the time sent me to Arnold Clark for the repair (I was very young at the time and didnt argue with their choice) and I had nothing but hassle!! Car was in over 6 weeks for a back bumper and tailgate. When I eventually phoned up and asked what was happening with it, they said "Oh your car has been ready for over a week" - ehh thanks for telling me!! And when i got it home, the back bumper was covered in orange peel which I was really pissed off about so I ended up paying for a full respray elsewhere myself as I couldn't be bothered with the hassle anymore.

Hope you get your car back soon and hope you're happy with the repair!!

GCA3N
7th June 2011, 09:58 AM
call this morning they have ordered the wrong part. Enough is enough going to take my car away this morning, wish me luck I might be arrested this morning when I am through with them.

Craig
7th June 2011, 10:09 AM
Fecking hell Greig.:frown: Who is it in with?

Colin
7th June 2011, 10:13 AM
call this morning they have ordered the wrong part. Enough is enough going to take my car away this morning, wish me luck I might be arrested this morning when I am through with them.

Sounds like a bunch of cowboys! Not good Greig :ragin: Give them hell.

gauldrymini
7th June 2011, 11:10 AM
:sheep: Greig...why is it sometimes getting things done right is like herding cats:frown:

may the force be with you:yoda: when you go to get your car.

EcosseGP
7th June 2011, 01:24 PM
Shocking .. Don't believe some garages how can they run a business smoothly making simple mistakes .. They're quick enough to get the bill right usually never seen them under charge anyone yet !! Good luck mate

GCA3N
7th June 2011, 01:29 PM
Thanks everyone UPDATE:

Back from the garage read the riot act to them and the manager (stand in guy this week) was brilliant.

BMW grassicks have not only ordered the wrong connector but they also ordered the wrong front splitter!!!!!!!

Needless to say went down there too and almost lost it with the manager.

Long and short is they are sourcing a different plug which should be here this afternoon. The correct front splitter is ordered and will be here tomorrow morning.

I told the manager I will be back at 11am tomorrow morning to get my car back and to discuss compensation for the whole ordeal.

I am glad I had a 65 minute drive to the repair shop as I am not sure what I would have said.

So see what tomorrow brings.

On the up side the respray looked ok but hard to tell as there was a thick layer of dust over the whole car.

Oh yeh I also instructed them to go no where near it when it comes to cleaning it, told the guy that if they cleaned the car as well as they look after their customers then I'd rather do it myself.

Stewart
7th June 2011, 04:07 PM
Not good at all, I always think all it takes for a good bit of service is for someone to take an actual interest in the Car. Grassicks of Perth don’t sound that great but I’m beginning to wounder if any place is these days.

Good luck with it all, it's about time you had your car back.

zimbo
7th June 2011, 04:44 PM
Grassicks of Perth: incompetent idiots of the 6 or so parts ordered 2 were the wrong ones.

Surely that will again be down to the bodyshop giving Grassicks the wrong information on which parts to order for your car? :idunno:

GCA3N
7th June 2011, 04:55 PM
Surely that will again be down to the bodyshop giving Grassicks the wrong information on which parts to order for your car? :idunno:

no ali they do the work for Grassicks so they told them what they needed. Grassicks never confimed the chassis number etc, Lets put it this way the manager apologised for their part in the delays.

Anyway just called the garage AGAIN, I got no call back, they recieved the new plug and it FITS!!!!! now for the new splitter to arrive tomorrow and that should be that.

Delboy
7th June 2011, 05:43 PM
Sorry to hear of your hassles with the various parties. Hope you get it back tomorrow ok.

Makes me wonder since I also switched to Chris Knott...

silver spirit
7th June 2011, 06:13 PM
HI Sorry to hear about your bump \ at the end of the day no one was hurt and the car will be repaird i have run up and down to Oban at all times of day and night for the last 30years and i am always on the look out for our furry friends and i have friends that have totaled a 4x4 after hitting a deer So good luck with your repairs. By the way i have had 2 cars with Grassicks and had the best of service from all departments .

gauldrymini
7th June 2011, 07:30 PM
no ali they do the work for Grassicks so they told them what they needed.

Greig, was the bodyshop Ian Ross Finishing? Think he has a workshop in Perth and Luncarty. We had a wee job done there and to be fair I think DENTS8 in Dundee did better . Hope you find your car is OK.

Andrew

GCA3N
7th June 2011, 07:34 PM
Sorry to hear of your hassles with the various parties. Hope you get it back tomorrow ok.

Makes me wonder since I also switched to Chris Knott...

The thing is del they seemed to just push everything onto highway insurance, basically all I got was "we are just the broker". TBH highway are the biggest ones at fault. I am not sure what a broker has responsibility to do but they didn't do anything for me.

ELFMAN
8th June 2011, 09:24 AM
Nothing's ever simple Greig, hope it all works out OK.

GCA3N
8th June 2011, 02:01 PM
SHE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well even the pick-up was an ordeal.

Called Grassicks Mini to make sure the correct splitter was delivered, Yes, so good start. Made my way up this morning arriving at 10am.

Got out the car to see my baby sitting there ready. It had been given a jet wash as instructed but it was still filthy. However they were told not to wash it so good start.

Anyway met with the manager and had a good look around the car everything appeared ok, turned everything on and still no problems I thought great.

Anyway after another 10 minutes litterely going over the car with a fine tooth comb I noticed the tray under the car was hanging down at one side, turns out they missed a nut, anyway 2 minutes and that was sorted.

I checked all the body work and the repair itself is 100% perfection, I mean the whole front end is now as good as the day it came out the wrapper.

However on checking over the rest of the car I found a scuff on the rear quarter next to the light. It was definitely not there before.

Keeping calm I showed this to the manager, quickly he got the car back inside and one of his techs buffed it out, whew!!!

Anyway car is home mods started and car washed 3 times, serious it was so dirty.

I have bought new graphics but TBH it is so minted now I am not sure what to do.

So should I keep it clean, put the graphics as they were or full matt black vipers.

Cheers everyone for all your well wishes and support.

Colin
8th June 2011, 02:12 PM
Phew good news Greig. :thumbs up: Bet your glad that ordeal is over!

I'd say don't rush in with the graphics, give it a week and see how you feel.
You'll be too excited at getting the car back to make a proper judgement. :smilewinkgrin:

zimbo
8th June 2011, 03:15 PM
Glad the cars back at last Greig and satisafactorily too :thumbs up:

ELFMAN
8th June 2011, 03:25 PM
Good news Greig! :thumbs up:

I'm with Colin - chill for a while before you dive in... you'd probably have them back off and changed within a week anyway!!!!! :smilewinkgrin:

GCA3N
8th June 2011, 03:45 PM

I'm with Colin - chill for a while before you dive in... you'd probably have them back off and changed within a week anyway!!!!! :smilewinkgrin:

this is true:rolleyes:;)

Craig
8th June 2011, 03:58 PM
Great news Greig !! Glad she's back and as good as new :yes nod:

Mini Ecosse
8th June 2011, 04:01 PM

Ditto :thumbs up:

GCA3N
8th June 2011, 04:40 PM
Great news Greig !! Glad she's back and as good as new :yes nod:

Ditto :thumbs up:

Cheers lads, appreciated. :thumbs up:

GCA3N
8th June 2011, 05:26 PM
I can't actually believe this but found another three scuffed areas. 2 on the zenon light where they have NOT taped off before machine polishing the bonnet.

Had enough now just want to cry. It doesn't really show on the photos but looks bad.

Annoyed I missed this but never looked at the left hand xenon.

Called area manager getting a visit from him this week.

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/greigallan/2011-06-08170937.jpg

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/greigallan/2011-06-08170703b.jpg

EcosseGP
8th June 2011, 09:01 PM
No way ... Just keep the photos & see what happens but you're right probably from the buffer ..

RobSco
8th June 2011, 09:29 PM
Hi Greig

Good to see you've got the car back - Hope you get it all sorted out with the Area Manager, it's always hard to spot the faults when picking up your car after a repair especially if it had just been jet washed before picking it up as this would be hiding all.

Take time out and have a close look at it before the Area Manager arrives making a list and get all resolved once and for all...

Hope you get well compensated for you troubles... :thumbs up:

GCA3N
8th June 2011, 09:33 PM
Hi Greig

Good to see you've got the car back - Hope you get it all sorted out with the Area Manager, it's always hard to spot the faults when picking up your car after a repair especially if it had just been jet washed before picking it up as this would be hiding all.

Take time out and have a close look at it before the Area Manager arrives making a list and get all resolved once and for all...

Hope you get well compensated for you troubles... :thumbs up:

Cheers mate. Yeh like you say hard to spot everything. Gave the car a wash, well 3 washes today so got a chance to inspect it more closely.

Stewart
8th June 2011, 10:32 PM
Sorry to read that a few wee points are needing fixed and I should have known about washing as I had wrote on the old FB. Three times:thumbs up:

GCA3N
8th June 2011, 10:45 PM
Sorry to read that a few wee points are needing fixed and I should have known about washing as I had wrote on the old FB. Three times:thumbs up:

cool bud.

Gismo
9th June 2011, 04:27 AM
I think it's a wee bit unrealistic to expect to see the faults after you've demanded that the car isn't washed prior to pick up :Whistle:
But, now that you've had a chance to see what's up i'm sure you'll get a satisfactory outcome :thumbs up:

GCA3N
9th June 2011, 08:14 AM
Alan the car was jet washed and was clean enough to look at the repair job. The scratch on the rear quarter was unexpected but found after inspection by myself. The scratches on light were shear negligence on the garage. After all the crap I went through with their sloppy work there was no way I was letting them clean it. This was compounded when I went up on tuesday and see them washing a car with a bucket and sponge.

The bonnet is immaculate no swirls or chips, I could imagine after their wash that wouldn't have been the same.