PDA

View Full Version : Evo short revire of the S Diesel...

KenL
25th April 2011, 06:56 PM
Full article here: http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/267136/mini_cooper_sd_diesel_hot_hatch_review.html

"What’s it like to drive?

It has an extra 26lb ft compared to the Cooper D, at an identical 1750rpm, while maximum torque stretches an extra 450rpm to 2700rpm. That results in a 0-62mph time that’s over half a second quicker, yet in truth the car doesn’t feel substantially brisker. There’s an obvious improvement in performance, but perhaps not enough to warrant Cooper S badging."]

This really sums up for me how this car is NOT worth the money. I know I have not driven it but on paper at least is has way less outright performance than a "real" S and is £750 more expensive.

The real shocker for me is that it is a whopping £2750 more than a Cooper D which only has ~30 bhp less.

So, if my next MINI is a diesel, I really doubt it would be one of these!

Stewart
25th April 2011, 08:27 PM
It will be a great car but it should be in the price bracket below that of the petrol Cooper S. But we know thats never the Case with BMW Mini.

Gismo
25th April 2011, 09:00 PM
Sorry, for me a Cooper S is a petrol engine, not a rebadged, rehashed, re whatever, typical BMW marketing, a Cooper S is a petrol engined Mini, end of :sad:

AndyP & Lenore
25th April 2011, 09:49 PM
Sorry, for me a Cooper S is a petrol engine, not a rebadged, rehashed, re whatever, typical BMW marketing, a Cooper S is a petrol engined Mini, end of :sad:

I don't necessarily agree with that, but I do think that there should be a reasonably level playing field for "S" badged cars - the base 0-60 of Diesel 'S' should really be the same or very close to the Petrol 'S'.:idunno:

A.:D

Mon the fish
27th April 2011, 07:29 AM

I'm with Gismo on this. The S should be special, sporty, quick, loud; and thrive on revs - like a little race car. Whilst diesels have come on in recent years, they still don't rev as sweet, sound as sweet, or respond like a petrol. The badge, to me, precludes diesels.

And as for a diesel JCW... has there ever been a diesel M3? Will there ever?