PDA

View Full Version : The Golfers Thread

Craig
20th April 2011, 10:42 PM
Anyone out there love chasing the little white ball?

This thread is for discussions about the game, tips, new bits of kit and good or bad games etc ;)

I'll start with my thoughts....:D

I have been a casual golfer for a few years and 2 years ago I joined my local club. Because of family things (as most of you are aware) the last couple of years haven't made it easy for golf and at the moment I don't have a valid handicap, but I've vowed to sort that out ASAP ... Hopefully have a new handicap sorted in the next week or so :cool:

As for my kit, well recently got myself a new trolley, a powakaddy touch and it is awesome :thumbs up:. Also treated myself to a new driver , a Cobra S3 and it's working well. The rest of my clubs are snakes irons, 2 snake eyes hybrids and a 60 degree hot blade wedge and putter.

Just been out for 9 holes with a couple of neighbours and shot 39 which for me was superb as the last handicap I had was 22 ;)

Anyway, who's next :smilewinkgrin:

KenL
21st April 2011, 07:25 AM
I am a golf nut, played since I was about 10.

I am a 6 handicap, desperate to get lower but creeping up a bit at the moment.

I am a member of 2 clubs in east lothian.

I carry my bag. Have a Ping G15 driver, Titleist CB irons, Vokey wedges and an Odyssey putter.

Forbes
21st April 2011, 07:54 AM
I am a 12 handicap, I'm rubbish and can't see it going lower.

I am a member of 2 clubs, Royal Aberdeen and Craibstone.

I am lazy so have a powercaddy. Have a Cleveland driver, Callaway X-tour irons, Taylormade TP wedges and an Ping Craz-e putter.

Craig
21st April 2011, 08:08 AM
It must be cheap for membership where you guys are, cos your looking at about £650/£700 for average courses near me.....

Good effort with the handicaps guys :thumbs up:

Gismo
21st April 2011, 09:17 AM
Also a 6 handicap but since leaving the UK i've not played at all :sad:
I also carry my clubs as it's the only bit of excercise i got and i always found it easier to walk straight to my ball.

In Montrose there is an annual 5 day tournament around the end of July topped off with a pro am, I've managed to get to the final once but failed to win and also a semi place where i obviously lost.
This event is well attended every year and folks come from all over the UK to participate.

I have Callaway X20 clubs, Callaway driver and the 2 ball putter, various wedges and rescue clubs.

Fee's for Montrose are around £250 for unlimited access to the Championship course which is used for qualifying for the British Open when it's in Scotland and is the 5th oldest course in the world and also the 2nd wee course which is a par 66, very much used by beginners and folks wanting a quick round.

PS: Good thread big man :thumbs up:

Craig
21st April 2011, 11:34 AM
Cheers Alan...

That's a great price for Montrose!! ;)

You need to get back on the course, bound to be some cracking courses over there.

Some of my favourites here that I've played is Auchterarder (the cheap mans Gleneagles ;)), The Glen at North Berwick and Ladybank ;)

euan
21st April 2011, 01:20 PM
Not played this year yet, though soon to be rectified as I'm too Tenerife in a couple of weeks where the villa backs onto the golf course :-) I'd love to play more but can't due to having a wee boy and limited free time at weekends. As he gets older I will get out more, used to play every week.

I've got a set of Mizuno Mx-15 irons, various putters (Scotty Cameron, 2 ball, McGregor - I get cast offs!), Taylor Made rescue mid and a variety of Callaway and Cobra drivers (again, cast offs, my old man plays a LOT).

Used to be a member at Newmacher when I lived in Aberdeen and used to play Gullane when I lived in Edinburgh as my mate was a member.

Forbes
21st April 2011, 07:11 PM
It must be cheap for membership where you guys are, cos your looking at about £650/£700 for average courses near me.....

Student ;)

andykintore
21st April 2011, 07:14 PM
i play at kintore good course and price too

Forbes
21st April 2011, 07:15 PM
i play at kintore good course and price too

Old 9 are a killer on the legs though

AndyP & Lenore
21st April 2011, 08:18 PM
Used to play but stopped a couple if years ago when "life" started getting in the way and it was easier to say 'stuff it', hit the snooze button and get another hour of sleep instead of getting my ass out of bed and getting on the course.

Can't even remember what my clubs are... Mizuno MX-15 irons and.... ???? Woods.

Never had a handicap, unless you include my clubs. :lol:

A.

Sheilz
21st April 2011, 08:23 PM
Haven't played since 2002 when I astounded everyone at the crazy golf with my utter ineptitude for the game and was encouraged to use a VIP pass to the cafe to save myself from further humiliation

KenL
21st April 2011, 09:26 PM
I am a member at Haddington which is 460 and Dunbar which is 580 for fees.

Haddy is a great parkland course and Dunny is a challenging links which is used for the Open final qualifying.

Craig
6th May 2011, 09:44 AM
Well that's the second card in to get my handicap back. Shot 91 with two howler holes ( a 9 and a 7!!). Played well I'n the main tho (41 thro 9). Playing tomorrow so hope the handicap is sorted by then ;)

Anyone watch the golf last night and see Dustin Johnson 3 putt from about 3 feet... :thud: I did laugh a wee bit :yes nod:

Forbes
6th May 2011, 10:37 AM
Well I might as well add that next week GB&I walker cup team are practicing at Royal Aberdeen, so I have a couple "lunch only" caddy rounds

Craig
6th May 2011, 11:29 AM
Well I might as well add that next week GB&I walker cup team are practicing at Royal Aberdeen, so I have a couple "lunch only" caddy rounds

Oooohhhh very fancy !! ;)

Enjoy !

Gismo
6th May 2011, 01:14 PM
Well that's the second card in to get my handicap back. Shot 91 with two howler holes ( a 9 and a 7!!). Played well I'n the main tho (41 thro 9). Playing tomorrow so hope the handicap is sorted by then ;)Good thing though is that you should only be scored at worse for a double bogey and something to think about when you are actually playing a medal round :thumbs up:

Craig
6th May 2011, 03:23 PM
Yeah had heard that Alan. Hope to get about 16ish as my handicap. Ss is 70 for our course ;)

GP BILLY
6th May 2011, 04:10 PM
Just started to play again (tennis elbow operation) :thumbs up:
I am a member of www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk/ (http://www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk/) (Bogside) If your down this way
and I am no working, I will happily take you for a game (get to take out
12 guests a year) I have a powakaddy classic as I don't like carrying my
clubs:laugh:

Craig
6th May 2011, 04:53 PM
Just started to play again (tennis elbow operation) :thumbs up:
I am a member of www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk/ (http://www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk/) (Bogside) If your down this way
and I am no working, I will happily take you for a game (get to take out
12 guests a year) I have a powakaddy classic as I don't like carrying my
clubs:laugh:

Nice one Billy, I'll hold you to that one day ;)

Delboy
7th May 2011, 09:57 PM
A golfers thread....!!!???

http://lolpics.se/pics/482.jpg

Craig
7th May 2011, 11:15 PM
You do know I could just delete this Del ;). Dinnae think that champ is won yet :lol:

GP BILLY
10th May 2011, 08:39 PM
When I bought my clubs I spent ages looking a all different makes
and going down the the driving range and trying all they had......:smilewinkgrin:
I finally choose the ones below (reason I just had to have them)

They are called KNIGHTS (been told they are something to do with nike but that could be wrong:laugh:)

Shalfs
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f356/9049/d13a0631.jpg

But the thing that sold me was on the back of the club face:yes nod:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f356/9049/3b5f928c.jpg

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I have PING G5 driver and recovery/5 wood
and a Adams Tight Lies 3 wood
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f356/9049/5a0de0b7.jpg

And why carry your clubs when you can have a powakaddy:thumbs up:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f356/9049/62307c34.jpg

Craig
11th May 2011, 08:53 AM
Very unique choice Billy ;). And your right, powakaddy all the way !! :lol:

Craig
12th May 2011, 12:52 PM
I've just realised Billy that your a lefty !!

Well the medal on sat went very well, apart from a stupid mistake on the par 3 15th that cost me a 6:frown: shot a 65 and a 63 would have won it:argh: lesson learned, take your medicine !!! ;). Anyway, handicap now down to 17.8 so going in the right direction :thumbs up:

euan
12th May 2011, 09:19 PM
I've just realised Billy that your a lefty !!

Well the medal on sat went very well, apart from a stupid mistake on the par 3 15th that cost me a 6:frown: shot a 65 and a 63 would have won it:argh: lesson learned, take your medicine !!! ;). Anyway, handicap now down to 17.8 so going in the right direction :thumbs up:

I was playing with my old man in Tenerife last week (I'll post a pic of the hole later once I've got them off the camera) who has gone from a handicap of 6 a few years ago to 18! Bandit territory...

euan
12th May 2011, 10:01 PM
Here you go, how's this for a tea shot...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2130/5714276438_29cf1becdb_b.jpg

Gismo
13th May 2011, 02:57 PM
And what do you know, i'm going for my first game since last September at one of the local courses, doubt my 6 handicap will play well today :lol:

Craig
13th May 2011, 03:24 PM

Sploosh !!! :lol: I'd be about 15 off the tee !!

Nice tho ;)

Craig
13th May 2011, 03:25 PM
And what do you know, i'm going for my first game since last September at one of the local courses, doubt my 6 handicap will play well today :lol:

Nice day for it.... Mind.... FORE !!! :lol:

Neil - TXJ
13th May 2011, 05:51 PM

I would be aiming a long way left and then a nice little chip on but with my slice I would still be the water. Doesn't appear to be many players on here with high handicaps - never had an official handicap but would be delighted to get below 20.

Neil

Craig
13th May 2011, 06:29 PM
I would be aiming a long way left and then a nice little chip on but with my slice I would still be the water. Doesn't appear to be many players on here with high handicaps - never had an official handicap but would be delighted to get below 20.

Neil

Neil, I was a 24 handicap til earlier this year so your not alone ;). My best advice is play more and if you can getva wee lesson. It can sometimes mess with your head a wee bit but it's put me easily 6 to 10 shots a round better off :thumbs up:

Might be time for me to sort out another NMS Golf outing :yes nod:

Neil - TXJ
13th May 2011, 08:25 PM
Neil, I was a 24 handicap til earlier this year so your not alone ;). My best advice is play more and if you can getva wee lesson. It can sometimes mess with your head a wee bit but it's put me easily 6 to 10 shots a round better off :thumbs up:

Might be time for me to sort out another NMS Golf outing :yes nod:

Finding the time is the challenge, Saturday morning, boy No1 play football, Sunday morning Boy No2 playing football!

Keep thinking of having a couple of lessons but am nervous of them telling me everything is wrong and I need start again - I am not bothered about being a low handicap, just want to play a round of golf without making a fool of myself and enjoying!!

If anybody interested I could try and arrange something at the club I am a member of. Calling it a club is probably slightly wrong as it is part of a Macdonald hotel so not your typical golf club but can be relatively quiet on a Saturday and Sunday. Course is a decent standard provided it hasn't been raining as doesn't cope well with a lot of rain. Although I am member have only played a full round a couple of times and try to just play a few holes in an evening if I get chance.

Link to course attached and a couple of photos from my house

http://www.macdonaldhotels.co.uk/cardrona/golf/

euan
13th May 2011, 09:04 PM
For those interested, this was where our tee shots landed - mine is the one nearest the flag.

I've played the course a few times now and just have the confidence to stand up knowing I'm not going to fluff it into the water. I also usually take a bit more club. I'm no expert though, this was my first round since November and I'd not played for a year before that, kids and weddings really mess up the social diary!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2570/5714279360_fa8efa1d3d_z.jpg

Gismo
13th May 2011, 09:06 PM
Well, a tale of two halfs for me, out in 39 and back in 51 :eek:
We were playing skins and let's just say one guys counting didn't work the same way as mine, he got 4 skins (nae jokes :lol: ) and it kinda put me off the back nine, still, enjoyed the day :thumbs up:

:golfer:

euan
13th May 2011, 09:28 PM
Well, a tale of two halfs for me, out in 39 and back in 51 :eek:
We were playing skins and let's just say one guys counting didn't work the same way as mine, he got 4 skins (nae jokes :lol: ) and it kinda put me off the back nine, still, enjoyed the day :thumbs up:

:golfer:

Out in 39!!! that's superb if you've not been playing.

I loved my round the other week, was nice to be out on the course again and has definitely got me wanting to go and play some more this year.

AndyP & Lenore
13th May 2011, 10:00 PM
http://tili.co.uk/fun_stuff/golfmagnet.jpg

Mini Ecosse
14th May 2011, 06:29 AM
http://tili.co.uk/fun_stuff/golfmagnet.jpg
:lol::lol::lol:

Craig
20th September 2011, 08:11 AM
Well, off to Whitekirk on Friday for a game with a few of my neighbours :clap:

Got an Open Fairways membership so getting the 4 ball for a bargain £70 :yes nod: really looking forward to it..... Here is hoping for good weather :thud: :lol:

Craig
12th November 2011, 09:22 AM
Just about to leave for The Glen at North Berwick. Cracking day, really looking forward to it !! :thumbs up:

Craig
12th November 2011, 06:39 PM
Well just back - what an absolutely gorgeous day! :yes nod: the golf was mince but the weather and scenery made up for it ;)

euan
14th November 2011, 12:18 PM
There are some cracking courses down that way, that looks a really nice one.

My mate used to live in a house in North Berwick that was right on the coast, the views were amazing and seeing that course reminded me of that place. Lovely place.