PDA

View Full Version : Next car a diesel?

KenL
20th April 2011, 10:23 PM
With fuel prices as they are and possibly getting worse is anyone else thinking diesel for their next car?

As much as I love my S, I am thinking a Cooper D (not an S D) could be my next car.

Craig
20th April 2011, 10:27 PM
Yeah my next car is going to be a diesel ..... Going from 24/25 mpg to over 50mpg will be great ;)

Big Gordy
20th April 2011, 10:58 PM
Cost me £92.50 to fill the Audi tonight :frown:
On the bright side I do get 800 miles for that :thumbs up:

Scottie
20th April 2011, 11:06 PM
I average 62mpg in real terms on my daily trip to work 11.2 miles single trip travelling A roads only. I've a diesel clubman and my next one will also be a diesel. Cost to fill every fortnight is 40 pounds

GCA3N
21st April 2011, 06:06 AM
With fuel prices as they are and possibly getting worse is anyone else thinking diesel for their next car?

As much as I love my S, I am thinking a Cooper D (not an S D) could be my next car.

If you get the Diesel now Ken just think in about September 2013 you should break even ;)

Question Ken are you changing your car because it's that time again or is it purely to buy a diesel?

The Dogfather
21st April 2011, 06:34 AM
I've gone from 70+ miles a day to 30 miles a day so no matter how you look at it a diesel just doesn't make sense.

Mind you our van is a diesel, and I'm glad it is I hate to think what it would get if it was petrol. :eek:

KenL
21st April 2011, 07:17 AM
If you get the Diesel now Ken just think in about September 2013 you should break even ;)

Question Ken are you changing your car because it's that time again or is it purely to buy a diesel?

All good questions Greig and things I would need to consider.

Going from 38mpg to 60mpg would save me 600 per year. So, keeping the car for 3 years would save dosh overall assuming residual values stood up.

I am not buying a car for at least a year, just wanted to get some discussion going:thumbs up:

Mon the fish
21st April 2011, 07:32 AM
Depends how much you love driving. If you like the open road, redline, power delivery, you will be willing to pay the extra for petrol. Obviously depends where you live as to how many open roads are near you.

I know I always will, just don't like the noise and power delivery of diesels

GCA3N
21st April 2011, 09:08 AM
All good questions Greig and things I would need to consider.

Going from 38mpg to 60mpg would save me 600 per year. So, keeping the car for 3 years would save dosh overall assuming residual values stood up.

I am not buying a car for at least a year, just wanted to get some discussion going:thumbs up:

Understood Ken I was echoing a point made earlier regarding all the other aspects of changing cars. I just think is is sad times when we all have to make decisions like this.

KenL
21st April 2011, 09:20 AM
Yes I know Greig. The price of fuel is a nightmare. I think something must be done about it. If fuel for houses went up like this the body who regulate would not allow it. Why is there not a similar setup for vehicle fuel? No doubt it is because the government are laughing all the way to the bank!

Gismo
21st April 2011, 09:21 AM
I think the economics of running a petrol versus a diesel are based on brand new cars where the initial cost of the diesel is higher and then working out the savings of mpg etc etc

Buying second hand reduces everything overall and to me makes a diesel economically more viable.
I buy cars based on performance and am lucky enough to be able to afford the cost of fuel, but, i'm sure if i had to make a choice then the diesel would win hands down :thumbs up:

choc
21st April 2011, 09:25 AM
my missus has a brand new mini one ,getting 52 mpg going to her work which is town driving,zero road tax helps also

Gismo
21st April 2011, 09:36 AM
my missus has a brand new mini one ,getting 52 mpg going to her work which is town driving,zero road tax helps alsoWhich also leads onto another concern, the more folks buy zero rated tax diesels obviously will pass the costs onto the petrol drivers even more so........

zimbo
21st April 2011, 10:01 AM
My last mini the hatch which was also a Diesel was only purchased because of this exact situation, "The rising cost of fuel!!" at that time I could not afford to pay prices for Unleaded so traded in my One in for the R56 'D' and have never regretted it and was absolutely gutted when I had to sell it at the beggining of last year due to unemployment etc and once I got working again and worked out my financial situation I went on the look out for another mini and ended up with my current Clubman D (second hand) and this time round my tax is even cheaper too (£20) and I love my clubbie. The only thing that I am disappointed with is the fact that this one does not have the sport button which the last one did, but apart from that it is great.

Like Alan said buying my clubbie D second hand has saved me a huge amount compared to buying new, I personally don't think i'll be a new car again, rather get an ex demonstrator etc instead so I don't take the hit.

But I must admit the price of Diesel is getting VERY VERY rediculous right now and it has even driven me to ride into work on the bicycle lately which is a bad sign :rolleyes:

Yes I do miss petrol powered minis and I will have another one day (hopefully), I love the sound of petrol minis with stainless exhausts... :p thats mostly due to having the playminis on my two earlier minis and mostly thanks to Euan and his awesome sounding blue 'S' that he had, by far the best sounding MINI I ever had the pleasure of hearing :yes nod:

So Ken as long as you spec or get a D with the sport button (assuming you'd still like a little bit of oomph?) then I am sure you will be pleased with the car. The cheap tax and great MPG does help a heck of a lot.
It is very sad that in these current times people are having to consider going from Petrol cars to Diesel ones just to survive and get by in everyday life, which IMHO is all due to the fact that the Government are a greedy bunch of money grabbing ba$tards!! :ragin: 86% of the cost of fuel is money going straight to them... :ragin:

Sorry about the little rant at the end there :Whistle:

GCA3N
21st April 2011, 12:42 PM
We're on a roll the day :lol:

euan
21st April 2011, 01:14 PM
We bought the missus a new (used) car recently and it's petrol. Why? Because it'll do 5-6000 miles per annum and the equivalent diesel was 1500 more expensive. As such, the figures didn't add up.

My new car will be a diesel, though it'll be a BMW in either 320d or 520d spec, depending on how flush I'm feeling at the time (company car time!). I'm 10 miles from work, and have started working at home at least one day a week and will be cycling in at least one day per week. As it is I'm filling up every 2-3 weeks at about £80 a pop in the A4 and really driving like a granny most of the time as well. What's the point in having a high performance car if you can't use it!

Andrew
21st April 2011, 08:52 PM
I started to work in Glasgow again and I expected to clock up 19000 miles a year. My Cooper was 4.5 years old, so with petrol prices on the up I bought a pre-registered diesel Clubman. With the £20 road tax and the high mpg (I've already been mocked on another post for this :frown: ) I thought I would save money from the off.

I'm now on detached duty locally for 3 - 6 months. I'll be walking to work every day so I'll have to wait before the higher car and diesel cost even themselves out.

ELFMAN
22nd April 2011, 03:00 PM
Yes I do miss petrol powered minis and I will have another one day (hopefully), I love the sound of petrol minis with stainless exhausts... :p thats mostly due to having the playminis on my two earlier minis and mostly thanks to Euan and his awesome sounding blue 'S' that he had, by far the best sounding MINI I ever had the pleasure of hearing :yes nod:

Ahh Zimbo, I owe you a pint! :beer: :thumbs up:
The only 'downside' to that car was the fuel consumption, but as I did very low miles to and from work, that wasn't a concern for me most of the time. Anyway, if MPG worries ever crossed my mind, I just had to floor it, and strangely, I couldn't see the petrol gauge past my silly grin! Love my R56 :cool:, but I DO miss the 'Wee Blue Beastie'... :sad:

Stewart
22nd April 2011, 05:39 PM
Does Alan count in this as he's in the states:smilewinkgrin: Go on rub it in what the price these days a lt over there:ragin:

Seriously if I could get a Mini get 60+ MPG around town I’d be delighted. The Cooper averages 40+ although on a run its mid fifties but its mostly puttering around Glasgow for me with the occasional blast some place scenic. One of the reason I came on here is I promised myself to enjoy this car more thus try to take in a few of the great Mini runs. I don’t mind the price of fuel on a run as the car getts better mileage and its not grudged as much as its enjoyable.

I’d consider a second had Cooper SD as it’s cheaper to run and I’d probably use it more for enjoyment because of that. When I was young we all lived in our cars just driving for the hell of it, sadly times have changed.

I cant justify the high price from new as I’ve had the mini for three years come July and its only done 21K but I got it with 1k on the clock and over £3K off the list price. So in time I’m sure the right SD or D deal will be out there.

Gismo
22nd April 2011, 07:34 PM
Does Alan count in this as he's in the states:smilewinkgrin: Go on rub it in what the price these days a lt over there:ragin:Wel...........since you asked, gas (petrol) is around $3.60 per GALLON :thumbs up: = approx £2.25 per GALLON = 46 pence a LITRE :Whistle:

Andrew
22nd April 2011, 07:58 PM
Wel...........since you asked, gas (petrol) is around $3.60 per GALLON :thumbs up: = approx £2.25 per GALLON = 46 pence a LITRE :Whistle:

:thud:

KenL
22nd April 2011, 08:11 PM
Wel...........since you asked, gas (petrol) is around $3.60 per GALLON :thumbs up: = approx £2.25 per GALLON = 46 pence a LITRE :Whistle:

No doubt the locals are up in arms. Not that long ago that it was less than $2 per gallon.

Is that conversion for US or imp gallon? 3.8 litres for US compared with 4.55 for an imp gallon.

Gismo
23rd April 2011, 07:34 AM
No doubt the locals are up in arms. Not that long ago that it was less than $2 per gallon.

Is that conversion for US or imp gallon? 3.8 litres for US compared with 4.55 for an imp gallon.Yep, folks are moaning and yep, i converted using imperial gallons, so, perhaps i should have said $3.60 US Gallon = approx 59 pence litre :lol: damn i pay too much, seemingly in New York they are paying over $4 per US Gallon

zimbo
23rd April 2011, 07:55 AM

:moonie:

Cheapest diesel locally now is £1.40.9 pl absolutely OUTRAGEOUS!!!! :ragin:

As soon as I can find a way into the US or Oz then I'll be outta here, had enough of living in Rip OFF Britain, ENOUGHS ENOUGH!! :ragin: a person can only take so much.

Gismo
23rd April 2011, 10:20 AM
:moonie:

Cheapest diesel locally now is £1.40.9 pl absolutely OUTRAGEOUS!!!! :ragin:

As soon as I can find a way into the US or Oz then I'll be outta here, had enough of living in Rip OFF Britain, ENOUGHS ENOUGH!! :ragin: a person can only take so much.One easy way into the USA is through a college course, this also allows you to work to pay your way :thumbs up: my youngest daughter is in the process of doing this :D

zimbo
25th April 2011, 11:05 AM
One easy way into the USA is through a college course, this also allows you to work to pay your way :thumbs up: my youngest daughter is in the process of doing this :D

Mmmm whats an old git like me going to be able to do at college... :rolleyes:

The Enrique's
30th April 2011, 09:57 AM
Best choice i made when i bought my very first mini as cooper D..... still loving it!