PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Fan

cooperchris
20th April 2011, 10:11 PM
Has anyone had any bother with there fan not switching on when the car gets up to temperature on an r50?

Twice i had to switch the car off after the thing boiling up on me, Only when i'm sitting still for a few minutes. Happened first thing this morning but got the fan to work, Went from glenrothes to stirling and it was all fine. Drove home an it was fine so doesn't seem to be any blockages, Stopped at the shop an it started boiling again. Checked it tonight an just cant get the fan to come on when temp comes up.

Quick test an the fan works manually so i'm thinking its the fan switch.The temp gauge in the car always stays half way so not sure if thats even working prop.

Hopefully someone can help

Thanx Chris :thumbs up:

Craig
20th April 2011, 10:25 PM
Sound like a thermostat issue to me.... Just cos the fan works manually means it's not and electric or fan prob but the computer not working out it's too hot and to switch on the fan... Hope you get it sorted mate... Not having much luck !! :frown:

GCA3N
21st April 2011, 06:07 AM
Thermostat as Craig says, can these not be adjusted?

cooperchris
21st April 2011, 11:23 AM
Cheers guys,

Just cant see it being that because the water is getting round the engine fine. Not unless the thermostat has something to do with the control of the fan :idunno:

Soon as the fan kicks in it stops boiling, Its just not coming on :argh:

GCA3N
21st April 2011, 12:39 PM
The thermostat controls at what temp the fan comes on. If it is set to high then it will not come on soon enough and if too low it will run continually.

cooperchris
21st April 2011, 03:49 PM
The thermostat controls at what temp the fan comes on. If it is set to high then it will not come on soon enough and if too low it will run continually.

cheers greg

Found out today that there is power going to the fan control module but there is nothing after it. An its only £10 for a new one so will try that an see what happens :thumbs up:

GCA3N
22nd April 2011, 12:33 AM
cheers greg

Found out today that there is power going to the fan control module but there is nothing after it. An its only £10 for a new one so will try that an see what happens :thumbs up:

Good luck mate.