PDA

View Full Version : Cooper SD

jam80s
14th April 2011, 06:28 PM
Has anyone got, ordered or test driven the new Cooper SD? I'd like to know what your thoughts are.

ajamesj
14th April 2011, 09:38 PM
I am thinking of heading to see if I can get a test drive soon. Not planning on selling my Dooper just now but the Cooper SD is an option am thinking about when replacement is due

jam80s
15th April 2011, 09:16 PM
Well I have decided take the plunge let my cooper go and buy the MSD.

ajamesj
15th April 2011, 09:19 PM
You had a test drive yet ??

jam80s
15th April 2011, 09:26 PM
Yes I have, twice now with the latest today. I have never driven a MCS so can't compare but I was impressed its very quick.

KenL
15th April 2011, 11:07 PM
I am disappointed that it has 40bhp less than a "real" S but is 700 quid more expensive. Why do makers charge more for diesels? I would have thought they were cheaper to build.

Stewart
15th April 2011, 11:31 PM
Ken it’s when they deliberately under tune an engine to fit into a range that annoys me, tuned the MCSD will match or even over take the standard car but that would never do would it. Not that I’m into remapping etc but you know someone will do it soon to a SD. I love the idea as I’ve said of the SD just not keen on paying over 20K for one. Jam did they give you a car or was it just a quick round the block?

Mon the fish
16th April 2011, 09:12 AM
It's more to do with the turbo that it's easy to remap - it's why JCW's can be remapped to near 270bhp with minimal mods.

I just don't like the power delivery of a 4 cylinder diesel in a performance car - throttle lag, and no consistent smooth power through the rev range; a spike of torque (which is nice around town), but then lacking at the top end.

I would like the economy though...

jam80s
16th April 2011, 09:55 AM
Stewart, I got to take the car out on my own the first time then second time it was just me and my son, so could push as hard as I liked, it felt great powering it out from corners and round abouts, great fun.

jam80s
16th April 2011, 09:58 AM
Mon the Fish,

I can't base this on something like a JCW not having driven one, but for me the power was smooth and throttle responded to the slightest touch, the power seamed to me to be always available.

Stewart
16th April 2011, 11:42 AM
I took a S out but it was a waste of time, but then i was just filling in time when my car was in for a Service. But if you have a salesman in the car and you go round the block you cant get a feel. Worse still it was a brand new S with twelve miles on the clock so even if I had got out myself I was not going to push it as at the end of the day its someones car when they buy it.

So basically it felt just like my car as it was town driving.

KenL
16th April 2011, 04:44 PM
Good for you Stewart. I hate the "drive it like you stole it" attitude to demo cars, they will be someone's car one day.

jam80s
16th April 2011, 05:11 PM
Ken its just as well i'm buying the demonstrator I drove then.

Duncan Stewart
16th April 2011, 09:23 PM
Seriously considering an SD when I change next year.
I know its got less BHP than the petrol but it has loads more torque.

Since having my petrol S I've found my everyday driving style has changed from the "rev right up the to the red line" style I drove my Coopers to a much more relaxed mid revs, ride the torque style.
I've also often driven my mates 2L TD Focus with similar torque to the SD (but heavier) and love the effortless power delivery.

Thus I think the SD will actually be more powerful in everyday driving situations (although a petrol being taken to the red line in every gear may be quicker if you manage to get traction)

The fact I'm spending over £50 a week on petrol now is also a factor! :argh:

Will be very interested to hear how you like your SD :thumbs up:

KenL
16th April 2011, 10:04 PM
It will also be interesting to hear real (not exagerated) fuel consumption for the SD. I very much doubt I would ever buy one. The Cooper D makes much more sense to me. I can't stomach the price being asked for it.

The Dogfather
16th April 2011, 10:08 PM
I thought about replacing my current MINI with a Cooper SD but for the same money I can get an pre-reg Alfa Brera JTD.

Another alternative is a low mileage 3 year old MX5 and save £10k for fuel. ;)

zimbo
17th April 2011, 04:56 PM
Another alternative is a low mileage 3 year old MX5 and save £10k for fuel. ;)

I sense "Vidalbuffoon" might be making a return to the forums... :lol:

The Dogfather
17th April 2011, 05:34 PM
Might be considering a return to RWD ;) and hairdressing

N16SHP
17th April 2011, 07:09 PM
I love the 2L TDI Audi/VW engines, so much torque and quick between the lights.

The only thing that gets me, like you Ken, is I don't understand why diesel's cost more than petrol, then when you get to fill it up, it costs on average what 7p extra a litre, so how long do you have to own the car before your actually better off than just buying the petrol? I remember they did an experiment on Fifth Gear with two identical petrol and diesel's and they estimated that you'd need to own the car for roughly 2 and a half years before you broke even. Factor in the Mini turn over rate (how often people own then change their Mini whether to another Mini or another car altogether) which is in average roughly 2 years, is it worth it?

I really do like the concept of the Mini SD though!

KenL
17th April 2011, 08:42 PM
Just done a quick calculation based on 12k miles per year.
With petrol at 130p and diesel 7p dearer and my 38mpg in the S and an estimate of 50mpg for an SD it would cost 370 quid per year more in fuel per year in the S. So more than 2 years to break even.

N16SHP
17th April 2011, 09:43 PM
Just done a quick calculation based on 12k miles per year.
With petrol at 130p and diesel 7p dearer and my 38mpg in the S and an estimate of 50mpg for an SD it would cost 370 quid per year more in fuel per year in the S. So more than 2 years to break even.

So I wasn't too far away lol!!

KenL
18th April 2011, 08:04 AM
So I wasn't too far away lol!!

I suppose so!

jam80s
18th April 2011, 08:30 AM
I have a daily 40 mile round trip commute to work each day and intend to log each fill up so i should get accurate fuel figures to share with you all.

KenL
18th April 2011, 08:48 AM
I have a daily 40 mile round trip commute to work each day and intend to log each fill up so i should get accurate fuel figures to share with you all.

Excellent!

Neil - TXJ
18th April 2011, 07:19 PM
What is the view with depreciation? Will it hold its value better or worse than the MCS as this could be a bigger factor than fuel consumption.

Duncan Stewart
18th April 2011, 08:19 PM
Really interested in the "real world" MPG as well
Mini petrol S is supposed to do about 50mpg but I only get about 30mpg, although I do drive mostly on twisty country roads :smilewinkgrin:
On main roads I can get nearer 40MPG

I would not buy the diesel on the cost factors only (They don't always work out cheaper as Ken says) I'd have to prefer the way it drove as well

jam80s
5th May 2011, 08:29 AM
I have now filled up from half full twice now, the car has done just over 1000 miles (was 500 when I got it) and the fuel computer in the car say's 49mpg and calculating from fuel in and miles covered I'm getting 49.3, this has been with a mix of town and dual carrageway driving although yesterday on the motorway I was not taking it too slowly, so the average came down. On the first fill my calaculations came out a 51.3 and after yesterday the second fill avaerage was 47.4 I am looking forward to these figures going up as things loosen up.

Stewart
5th May 2011, 05:27 PM
I’d imagine you’ll get 60 plus on a run and considering the power that’s there and the price of fuel these days it’s a nice option.

I really wanted to go up a rung in the Mini family and I think a SD would suit me personally down to the ground only problem is I can do very little in the way of mileage these days.

I know it will not sound as sweet as an S on the go but I’ve never had the pops so I would not miss them.

Glad your enjoying the car mate.

KenL
5th May 2011, 09:44 PM
Please keep everyone posted on the consumption.

Enjoy the car, but don't burn too much fuel!

jam80s
1st June 2011, 03:19 PM
First Month MPG report.

I have now had my MCSD one month, and covered 1500 miles.
the average MPG as recorded by the Car Trip Computer is 51MPG
I have had 6 trips to full up with three top ups of less than 20 ltrs
2 of less than 25ltrs and one of 39 ltrs. so a total of 130ltrs giving a calculated MPG of 51.5MPG
This has been achived with a mix of driving with a low of 47.4MPG covering 240 miles which included a bit of a motorway thrash(>80mph)for 70miles.
A high of 56.1MPG over 185 miles mainly sensable motorway driving (circa 70mph).
Here's the fill breakdown
21ltrs 237miles 51.3MPG
23ltrs 240miles 47.4MPG
16ltrs 178miles 50.6MPG
16ltrs 192miles 54.6MPG
15ltrs 185miles 56.1MPG
39ltrs 440miles 51.3MPG

Stewart
1st June 2011, 04:53 PM
That looks rather good considering your not out and out aiming for maximum economy but rather real life figures.

I don’t know your car history but do you think the car is front heavy? I was reading a review and the only bad point was that over the standard S they felt it was not as sharp into bends with the added weight.

jam80s
1st June 2011, 06:04 PM
I use plain old supermarket Diesel. The 39ltr fill cost £52.61 @ £1.34.9/ltr

I don't find the front heavy, however I have never driven a petrol MCS so can't compare. I do find it a bit firm and bouncy going round bends and roundabouts with vigour when the surface is rough or got pot-holes

zimbo
2nd June 2011, 10:23 AM
I use plain old supermarket Diesel.

You cant beat supermarket Diesel :thumbs up:

I do find it a bit firm and bouncy going round bends and roundabouts with vigour when the surface is rough or got pot-holes

That could be the run flat tyres, assuming thats what you have on the wheels. :yes nod: horrid things that they are :frown: