PDA

View Full Version : "Rust" pimples!

KenL
13th April 2011, 08:00 PM
Today I washed, clayed & waxed my S. To my horror I found 3 tiny bumps in the paint. They have a tiny chip at the centre of them but no dent or anything.

These may be the result of stone impact but should this happen on a modern galvanized car?

Should I ask the dealer to take a look at them? Or, should I try to repair them? They are tiny. Anyone got any tips?

AndyP & Lenore
13th April 2011, 09:06 PM
It wouldn't do any harm to have Vardy's have a look at it, but my suspicion is that if its chips they will walk away.... I doubt they will take any notice of what's going on underneath. If the paint had been blistering without any sign of chips, you'd be in a different situation.

A.

Craig
14th April 2011, 11:57 AM
Yeah I agree with Andy. Same applies with wheels ..... If there is kerbing on a wheel which is not near some imperfection, they will refuse to look at it.. Best of luck tho ;)

baptie
14th April 2011, 12:52 PM
I had the exact problem with Harrys, they would not touch paint as they claimed it was stone chips.
Douglas Park carried out the work under warranty. both rear quarters were badly blistered

KenL
14th April 2011, 03:59 PM
Interesting! Two of the small blisters are on the rear panel. Car needs brake fluid changed, will mention it then.

Big Gordy
14th April 2011, 04:04 PM
Is the mini metalwork galvanised...?? If it is it shouldn't rust for at least 10 years..!! Thought it was only Porsches and the like that were galvanised.

KenL
14th April 2011, 04:10 PM
Is the mini metalwork galvanised...?? If it is it shouldn't rust for at least 10 years..!! Thought it was only Porsches and the like that were galvanised.

No, pretty much all modern cars are galvanized. That is why you hardly see a rusty old hanger these days.

Crombers
14th April 2011, 09:50 PM
No, pretty much all modern cars are galvanized. That is why you hardly see a rusty old hanger these days.

Yup, just look at my 2003 Fiat Punto. Up on the ramps today for a n/s/f suspension 'checkoot' (all it needed was re-greased) & my mechanic mate said to me 'sweet as under here, sound as a £'

They just don't build em like they used to, thank feck!!!

Mon the fish
15th April 2011, 07:35 AM
But R50s/R53s do rust... check under your door seal rubber. Mine's has been in 3 times in the past year for rust issues under warranty, and as I've owned it from new I know it's not a shoddy repair

jdl_1967
21st April 2011, 09:35 PM
What causes this under the paint?

KenL
11th May 2011, 08:31 PM
Car was in today at Peter Vardy. Warranty Manager thinks it is "stone chips". I said even if it was a chip, it should not "rust", plenty other stone chips on my car, much more obvious that have not bubbled. My third MINI and I have never seen this before.

They have taken pics that have been sent to MINI.

Will report when I find out. Might post on MINI2 and TotalMINI to see if anyone on there has similar experience.

GCA3N
12th May 2011, 05:58 AM
Very strange Ken hope you get this sorted soon mate.

cookie9561
17th May 2011, 10:22 AM
i have an r56,washed car and noticed blistering on both rear panels close to wheels,took it down to calterdons in inverness,service manager was great,took one look and said he had seen a few like it,the reason he explained was that in factory between galvanisation process and paint stage if any rough edges are seen then guys rub them down,if they then dont clean residue off properly small flecks of metal stick to body,then put through paint stage,its these flecks of metal which rust,poor quality inspection it seems,should be cleaned properly before getting paint.My car was inspected to see that no repairs had been done though if they were carried out at an approved bmw body shop the repair would be covered by warranty,thankfully mines was covered and had both rear panels fixed,cant fault calterdons,service manager a top guy

KenL
17th May 2011, 06:45 PM
Thanks for that, still waiting to hear from dealer.

cookie9561
3rd July 2011, 10:24 AM
any progress on your blistering issue ?

KenL
6th July 2011, 03:19 PM
Yes, just spoke to the dealer today. The pics taken by the dealer were of no use so I took others. I also stressed that I would not expect these to "rust". These pics were sent to the regional BMW warranty person who has approved that they fixed under warranty.

So a success, just waiting for the car to be booked in. Thanks to Peter Vardy for their support in this.

Colin
6th July 2011, 11:49 PM
Good result Ken :thumbs up:

cookie9561
7th July 2011, 12:22 AM
thats a great result mate,think a lot to do with it is the dealer and there attitude towards customers

GCA3N
7th July 2011, 09:51 AM
Ken that's good news as said a good dealer helps alot.

sent from my galaxy S ll

KenL
7th July 2011, 01:41 PM
Thanks folks. Will report back when it has been in. KenL

KenL
27th July 2011, 10:39 AM
Got my car back, paint seems perfect. Had a lovely wee Cooper in Velvet Silver as a courtesy car, really liked it. The ride on 16" wheels with normal tyre is so different to mine.