PDA

View Full Version : orange contract upgrade

Scottie
6th April 2011, 10:29 AM
Anyone know the uk release date for the galaxy 2 on orange.

GCA3N
6th April 2011, 10:48 AM
I spoke to O2 about it, the guy seemed pretty clued up and said that it was going to have issues due to the duel core processor. Anyway he reckoned it will be a while yet. That was 4 weeks ago or so. Have you looked at the sony erricson experia arc, read alot of reviews on it and it looks amazing.

Craig
6th April 2011, 11:05 AM
Anyone know the uk release date for the galaxy 2 on orange.

Speak to Paul (Dogfather) he is best placed to know ;)

The Dogfather
6th April 2011, 08:32 PM
Actually, when I know I can't tell anyone as its commercially sensitive, unless its been officially announced of course.

However, I'm now supporting the T-Mobile side of the business now so I'll not be told about when it'll be sold on Orange just TM.

Either way the rumour from the blogs is it won't be ready till May, but that's just the rumour.

The Dogfather
6th April 2011, 08:55 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/06/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-gets-upgraded-to-1-2ghz-delayed-until-may-o/

Scottie
6th April 2011, 09:05 PM
Upgrade due may. Deciding either galaxy s 2 Or. Htc desire hd in black

Re the Sony had the mini pro x10 and did not rate the phone

The Dogfather
6th April 2011, 09:10 PM
Motorola Atrix might be better than both, there's a Desire S out soon as well. Plus a LG with a 3D screen but its also dual core dual memory as well.

Scottie
6th April 2011, 09:19 PM
It's the oled screen I like on the galaxy I had. The atrix might be a option as it is a 4" touch screen was hoping to go 4.3. For me I like the bigger screen the iphone4 is just a tad to small and my blackberry ok for work but not for play.

The Dogfather
6th April 2011, 09:52 PM
The Atrix does a lot of clever stuff with TV and keyboards as well. The current Galaxy screen will be bettered by the LG Brightness, so bright it can be use in direct sunlight, not sure of the spec on that though.

There's a load of handsets out soon all on the back of that mobile conference.

GCA3N
6th April 2011, 09:54 PM
The Atrix does a lot of clever stuff with TV and keyboards as well. The current Galaxy screen will be bettered by the LG Brightness, so bright it can be use in direct sunlight, not sure of the spec on that though.

Paul what have you heard about the Sony experia arc.

The Dogfather
6th April 2011, 10:02 PM
http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones/motorola-atrix-review-50002122/

Not a lot, its spec isn't that great so nobody is excited by it. I can't remember the last decent phone SE made.

Scottie
6th April 2011, 10:22 PM
Ta. So when do you think these phones will come out. Trouble is you buy one and then there is another one that comes out which is better.

AndyP & Lenore
6th April 2011, 10:32 PM
Ta. So when do you think these phones will come out. Trouble is you buy one and then there is another one that comes out which is better.

More often than not, a week later.:ragin:

The Dogfather
7th April 2011, 03:19 AM

Fi these things tend to go in generations, these devices are the next generation. The Desire HD is the previous generation.

I reckon they'll all be out by June/July, but there maybe delays here and there.

The Dogfather
23rd April 2011, 09:37 PM
Fi, the Atrix is about to be launched, more details here (http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-broadband/motorolaatrix)

Its exclusive to Orange and if you sign up they'll email you to tell it when its on sale.

Oh, its Froyo but an update to Gingerbread will be available. This is seriously quick and the screen is awesome.

Scottie
23rd April 2011, 09:48 PM
I'll have a look thanks, kinda decided with the galaxy s2 or the htc sensation. been in touch with orange just waiting now on the 8th of May which is date of my upgrade availabilty

weefossy
24th April 2011, 07:56 PM
It's a phone................:smilewinkgrin:

"Hi Sioban, will be back from the pub at 10.30"
"Hi Mom, has your home help been in today, weathers nice"

not at all complicated.....:Whistle:

Scottie
4th May 2011, 04:51 PM
Well I ended my contrat with Orange instead of renewing only had 30 days left. Went with O2 and I got the Samsung Galaxy Sii

OMG this phone is really good .. iphone 4 is to old now they so need to catch up... the arc while a very very nice phone it was not a match for the SGSii.. the atrix you mentioned Paul.... had a look in store today at one and screen was a let down... think they missed a trick there but only time will tell. Only one that may match the SGSii I reckon could be the sensation.

Waiting till after my tea before I get the phone set up completely so looking forward to it, I've had a terrible 3 weeks without a smartphone sold my others and had to use my old Nokia I felt so bare......

G17RDY
4th May 2011, 08:49 PM
I've just got myself a new Xperia Play, changing from an Iphone 3GS which i have had for over a year now.
The xperia play is an incredible piece of kit and blows the iphone clean out of the water!!!!!

Worth a look, it's not just a gaming device, the gingerbread software is incredible. The phone does everything so well. I'm really super impressed, plus there is a racing game in which you can go a MINI cooper S....Happy days!!

AndyP & Lenore
4th May 2011, 09:07 PM
Due an upgrade in September, so I can see it's going to be a difficult decision to make. Such an "i" geek these days with the Pad, Pod's and Phone.

But, I'm wondering if the iPhone 5 may be out later this year which would tempt me.

A.:D

Scottie
4th May 2011, 09:28 PM
Allan is thinking about a play

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

GCA3N
4th May 2011, 09:32 PM
Arc returned too glitchy galaxy s 2 obtained WOW what a piece of kit

The Dogfather
4th May 2011, 10:14 PM
Arc = typical SE

I would guess that there has to be a iPhone 5 in order to keep up with the latest Android handsets, I'd also expect a new version of iOS (http://www.pcworld.com/article/226519/ios_5_spotted_in_the_wild_thanks_to_crash_report.h tml) as well.

Just speculation mind.

The iPad 2 has just got the latest Arm 5 processor, the new iMac has Thunderbolt and Apple have invested heavily in a new data centre recently.

I would guess an new iPhone would have the new processor, Thunderbolt and free Mobile Me as well as improvements to the camera with more multitouch shenanigans.

The Dogfather
4th May 2011, 10:16 PM
Well I ended my contrat with Orange instead of renewing only had 30 days left. Went with O2 and I got the Samsung Galaxy Sii

OMG this phone is really good .. iphone 4 is to old now they so need to catch up... the arc while a very very nice phone it was not a match for the SGSii.. the atrix you mentioned Paul.... had a look in store today at one and screen was a let down... think they missed a trick there but only time will tell. Only one that may match the SGSii I reckon could be the sensation.

Waiting till after my tea before I get the phone set up completely so looking forward to it, I've had a terrible 3 weeks without a smartphone sold my others and had to use my old Nokia I felt so bare......

What was wrong with the screen Fi? Not bright enough, the resolution is supposedly right up there.

The Dogfather
4th May 2011, 10:19 PM
I've just got myself a new Xperia Play, changing from an Iphone 3GS which i have had for over a year now.
The xperia play is an incredible piece of kit and blows the iphone clean out of the water!!!!!

Worth a look, it's not just a gaming device, the gingerbread software is incredible. The phone does everything so well. I'm really super impressed, plus there is a racing game in which you can go a MINI cooper S....Happy days!!

Are you comparing the brand new Arc to the 2 year old 3GS or the 1 year old iPhone 4?

The play is compromised by its size, at least the Arc fits comfortably into a pocket.

Scottie
4th May 2011, 11:02 PM
The screen colours just looked dull but maybe that is down to what I prefer.

re the iphone it's the apps I much refer android and alot more are free. I think apple is so popular because of their clever marketing maybe don't know really. I dare say with the iphone 5 they need to make it faster bigger and better camera

Scottie
4th May 2011, 11:03 PM
have you bought a screen protector yet none of the good ones are availble or I can't find any on the net.

Arc returned too glitchy galaxy s 2 obtained WOW what a piece of kit

AndyP & Lenore
4th May 2011, 11:17 PM
.....I would guess an new iPhone would have the new processor, Thunderbolt and free Mobile Me as well as improvements to the camera with more multitouch shenanigans.

Flash capability would be a good start. Would it be too much to ask for a 3D screen?

Fi, does your new phone play flash content? BBC News video's and Flash navigation bars etc.

A.

Scottie
4th May 2011, 11:25 PM
Flash capability would be a good start. Would it be too much to ask for a 3D screen?

Fi, does your new phone play flash content? BBC News video's and Flash navigation bars etc.

A.

yip. Oh and it also has a iplayer

G17RDY
5th May 2011, 07:11 AM
Are you comparing the brand new Arc to the 2 year old 3GS or the 1 year old iPhone 4?

The play is compromised by its size, at least the Arc fits comfortably into a pocket.

No, i'm comparing my Xperia Play against my iPhone 3GS - which is some respects isn't a fair comparison as i am comparing an older technology against the lastest.
However there are some fundamental differences between the current iPhone and andriod phones, which i think just makes android phones better.
I was a iPhone fanatic, the best thing since sliced bread, and at the time of buying my 3GS, there was no other phone to rival just what the iPhone could do, however now we have other manufacturers such as Samsung, HTC and Sony which have caught up and, IMO surpassed the iPhone in terms of functionality, software, design etc.

The iPhone is still a great device, but there are things it just can't do, or doesn't do well.
Due to the screen size i always found the iPhone difficult to browse webpages on, and hated playing games. However with the Xperia's slightly larger screen it removes the difficulties i had before with browsing webpages, reading emails etc.

The size of the Xperia play vs the iphone is not really a massive issue. Length and width are the same, it is only the depth which is slightly larger on the xperia play, however we're not talking a great deal more. Infact, as crazy as it may sound, the play feels better in the hand being that bit more chunkier.

GCA3N
5th May 2011, 08:02 AM
have you bought a screen protector yet none of the good ones are availble or I can't find any on the net.

No not yet.

The Dogfather
5th May 2011, 08:29 AM
No, i'm comparing my Xperia Play against my iPhone 3GS - which is some respects isn't a fair comparison as i am comparing an older technology against the lastest.
However there are some fundamental differences between the current iPhone and andriod phones, which i think just makes android phones better.
I was a iPhone fanatic, the best thing since sliced bread, and at the time of buying my 3GS, there was no other phone to rival just what the iPhone could do, however now we have other manufacturers such as Samsung, HTC and Sony which have caught up and, IMO surpassed the iPhone in terms of functionality, software, design etc.

The iPhone is still a great device, but there are things it just can't do, or doesn't do well.
Due to the screen size i always found the iPhone difficult to browse webpages on, and hated playing games. However with the Xperia's slightly larger screen it removes the difficulties i had before with browsing webpages, reading emails etc.

The size of the Xperia play vs the iphone is not really a massive issue. Length and width are the same, it is only the depth which is slightly larger on the xperia play, however we're not talking a great deal more. Infact, as crazy as it may sound, the play feels better in the hand being that bit more chunkier.

Its very unfair to compare a 3GS with a Play as it came out in July 09.

Your problem with browsing isn't down to the screen size rather its an issue with resolution, the iPhone 4 still has the best resolution only the Atrix comes close. In my job I see every handsets coming through and the Play doesn't cut it against the Galaxy 2 or the iPhone4. Until recently the iPhone had the edge over the Android's but the latest generation, which IMO doesn't include the SE phones, have caught and in some areas surpassed the Apple device. However, as I mentioned I expect that Apple will have a new device and new OS just around the corner.

The Dogfather
5th May 2011, 08:42 AM
By the way I think the OS which has the optential to impress the most hasn't even been mentioned, Windows Phone. The first version of which lacked quite a lot of functionality but had an impressive look, feel and ease of use. I expect that WP8 will add in a lot of the missing functionality especially with the tie in with Nokia.