PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer Hassle + Safari Help

Gismo
1st April 2011, 10:44 AM
I've stuck with Internet Explorer even during the many problems i encountered with it but finally gave up on it today :ragin:

I've tried various browsers over the years and always went back to IE, for me, while it works i really like it, however, enough is enough.

It continually crashes and hardly shows any pages correctly, even in compatible mode, opening multiple tabs often results in screen freezes, blah blah blah.

So, today i installed Safari, works great, but, for the life of me i can't find the place to open a set of tabs when Safari starts up :computer: can anyone put me out of my misery :Whistle:

euan
1st April 2011, 10:57 AM
I think it's somewhere like "home tabs" in the bookmarks or preferences options. Long time since I played with it as I refused to let Apple bundle tons of stuff into iTunes downloads for me that I didn't want!

Gismo
1st April 2011, 11:08 AM
Hmm, i'm beginning to think that the latest version does not support this feature

N16SHP
1st April 2011, 11:18 AM
On my mac, in Safari I go into preferences, then there is an actual options tab called tabs that you can organise from. But being a mac user I use Firefox as Safari IMO is balls!!

Burple
1st April 2011, 12:06 PM
can anyone put me out of my misery :Whistle:

Yes...

Set fire to it (or uninstall it if you prefer :hand::p)

....and install Firefox!! :laugh::laugh:

Firefox does it no bother under Tools> Options> General> "Use Current Pages" in the startup box.. :p;):smilewinkgrin:

GCA3N
1st April 2011, 12:22 PM
Cannae whack google chrome.

Stewart
1st April 2011, 12:53 PM
Must say I'm stuck on IE 8 as I've just got used to it and its working ok for me just now.

I do have Safari on the pc as well but never use it, I used it way back for Google maps as IE is deliberately crap on it.

Gismo
1st April 2011, 04:13 PM
Firefox does it no bother under Tools> Options> General> "Use Current Pages" in the startup box.. :p;):smilewinkgrin:Cheers Ewan, have installed that and will give it a try too :thumbs up:

Gismo
1st April 2011, 04:27 PM
Hmm, firefox, when i click on any of the menu headers, like Bookmarks, the menu displays what's there, but, when i move the cursor over any of the listed items it blanks out everything making it difficult to select what i want.
Still, way better than IE9

N16SHP
1st April 2011, 05:17 PM
Firefox is a pretty stable browser, and I dunno about IE as I've not used it in years, but when Firefox does have the odd wobble and crash, when you reopen it takes you back to the last page you were on which is handy!!

The Dogfather
1st April 2011, 06:01 PM
can anyone put me out of my misery :Whistle:

I think there's a clinic in Switzerland that might be able to help, although it does seem a bit drastic just because your having a problem with your browser.

http://www.dignitas.ch/

RobSco
1st April 2011, 06:19 PM
I use Safari on my MAC, so when I need to open a new tab I Click on File. Click on New Tab and a new one appears, Once you have two tabs showing it's a matter of Double Clicking at the side, next to the last tab opened and another tab appears...

Hope this Helps... :thumbs up:

Stewart
1st April 2011, 06:25 PM
Just using firefox and I think it is quicker and its looking just like my IE with my favorites bar done at the top so i might give it a bash.

Can anyone tell what font IE used by default as the text now looks a bit different?

The Dogfather
1st April 2011, 06:54 PM
the default text is Arial, but you can change it

AndyP & Lenore
1st April 2011, 07:25 PM
I changed to chrome about 18 months ago and never looked back. I remember at the time you tried it too Alan, but you ditched it after a while. What was up with it?

A.

Gismo
1st April 2011, 07:41 PM
I changed to chrome about 18 months ago and never looked back. I remember at the time you tried it too Alan, but you ditched it after a while. What was up with it?

A.Some stoopid idea probably, but, am willing to try again, IE is defo ditched this time though, firefox works well so will stick with that for the now

Gismo
2nd April 2011, 03:49 PM
So, using firefox and google chrome, i can't load the main forum page when clicking the FORUM link, it half opens the main NMS home page, if i use safari everything works ok, hmm, very strange

AndyP & Lenore
2nd April 2011, 11:38 PM
So, using firefox and google chrome, i can't load the main forum page when clicking the FORUM link, it half opens the main NMS home page, if i use safari everything works ok, hmm, very strange

That doesn't sound right. Chrome works fine for me on all my PC's. never had any trouble opening the forums. PC problem?

A.

Gismo
4th April 2011, 10:21 AM
Can anyone using Google Chrome help me out by clicking on the link and tell me if the jobs are shown as per the pictures attached.

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/images/smilies//link.gif (http://www.newtecheng.com/jobs.aspx)

See attached images, one shows IE9 and the other Google chrome, on IE9 the jobs are shown but in Google Chrome the jobs are not shown, weird

The Dogfather
4th April 2011, 05:37 PM
Safari - No
Firefox - Yes
Chrome - No

All on a Mac

Stewart
4th April 2011, 10:56 PM
Well on the PC.

Firefox - Yes just Paul has said.

Burple
5th April 2011, 10:32 AM
Well on the PC.

Firefox - Yes just Paul has said.

Same here, all ok on Firefox and IE8 but that's 8 tho, not 9....

AndyP & Lenore
5th April 2011, 12:14 PM
Weird.

Chrome 10 - No. IE8 - YES.

But in Chrome, if you right-click on the page then click "view page source" you can see the jobs all listed in the Java scrip at the bottom of that page. But even with Java Script enabled, the jobs still don't show.

A.:confused:

Stewart
5th April 2011, 04:17 PM
Have to say after a few days I'm getting used to firefox and it does work faster than mt old IE8

Burple
5th April 2011, 04:43 PM
Have to say after a few days I'm getting used to firefox and it does work faster than mt old IE8

http://img602.imageshack.us/img602/6223/shnod.gif

:D

Gismo
6th April 2011, 10:19 AM
Was having continual problems with Chrome that i think i've fixed, i changed the Java add on to a 32 bit instead of a 64 bit application, still not able to see that jobs list though and the options menu is working again, it simply would not open before.
So, went back to FireFox and the page refreshing problems are now fixed leaving the only problem being the bookmark menu is blacked out when i scroll the cursor over it, but, i can live with that knowing that all links are useable.

Anyone else heard of the black out problem?