PDA

View Full Version : Think this should be in the gripe column

Sheilz
25th March 2011, 09:16 PM
On Monday I have to visit Milton Keynes for work purposes. My immediate boss refused to let me drive down despite me informing her that I have very strong views on body scanners and will not under any circumstances walk through one. If that means never leaving Scotland then so be it. My boss told me that was 'my problem' and told me I was flying down and no arguments and that I had to do the trip in one day.
Flights were duly booked for me to go via Gatwick since there no return flights to Abz on Monday evening. A hired car has been booked so in total they have coughed up over £500 for my travel. Luton doesn't have a body scanner, Gatwick does plus of course it means having get to MK, spend a couple of hours there and then getting back with the hired car. I checked the airport blurb and if someone is asked to go through the scanner and refuse they aren't allowed to fly. I would consider this to be gross violation of my human rights and if asked would definitely say No. That's the moral dilema now of course having checked the road map I note that part of the route involves the English national carpark and having never driven down those roads before the very thought of getting to MK in time, leaving MK on time to avoid delays etc on the national car park is making my stress levels go through the roof. Frankly the thought of driving anywhere in the vicinity of London terrifies me. For that alone Munro reckons I should take the airline ticket, shred it, take Dougall for a canny drive down on Sunday book into a premier inn and use most of Monday for the return trip and for me just to consider the money as being well spent if it saves me either hassle at the airport or stress from the pressure of getting back in time to check in for my flight. Any thoughts?

I guess I'm most pissed off with my boss whose response has been autocratic to say the least. Clearly the cost of flying has not been the deciding factor since a two day car hire and overnight in a Premier Inn would've been much cheaper.

satans little helper
25th March 2011, 11:14 PM
how come you dont like body scanners?? :confused:

GCA3N
25th March 2011, 11:32 PM
I understand but also why the big NO NO to them.

Sheilz
26th March 2011, 12:27 AM
Because they're a gross invasion of my right to privacy. You do appreciate that I'm not talking about an xray machine but the one that basically strips you naked. If my information is correct there has been a bit of an outcry against them in the US. There is also the health issues associated with unnecessary exposure to radiation from them. A one-off dose would be negligible but if you were a seasoned traveller the implications could be much more serious. My objection though lies in the fact that being forced to go through one of these things violates my human right, its different if you chose to fly then you are willingly taking the risk however my personal choice is not to, yet my employer dictates that I must. At Gatwick and I presume also at Heathrow you are within your rights to refuse however you don't get to fly! If I did fly and ended up having to say 'No', I guess I'd just have to phone in on Tuesday to ask for all my calls to be re-directed to Gatwick. Could set up my own wee office there or even claim squatters' rights!!

Gismo
26th March 2011, 04:29 AM
I understand your dilemma Sheilz and you are quite right to stand up for yourself.
You know the situation and have a plan in place, for what it's worth, the background count of Aberdeen often has a higher radiation count than most body scanners

GCA3N
26th March 2011, 10:09 AM
I understand your dilemma Sheilz and you are quite right to stand up for yourself.
You know the situation and have a plan in place, for what it's worth, the background count of Aberdeen often has a higher radiation count than most body scanners

I was going to add that plus the cosmic radiation from long haul flights dwarfs that again of a body scanner.

satans little helper
26th March 2011, 03:31 PM
keep in mind though they are there to keep us safe, but i see your point.
No terrorists=no scanners....

Stewart
26th March 2011, 05:28 PM
Good luck with it, I understand your view on health but to be Safe in the sky I’d do absolutely anything. The only time I’ve flown since 9-11 was a private plane and I was actually at the controls. Got to say I seen the second plane hit the second tower live and it put the ****ters right up me for commercial flights and not flown since.

My sister fly’s round the world and on planes every week although most of her flights are to Luton for her work and its never been brought up. Is this new this style of scanning?

Sheilz
26th March 2011, 09:15 PM
Its being rolled out across major airports following the attempted Christmas bombing. It wont stop a determined terrorist. Common sense tells you that. I know if I was inclined to be one of them I'd have my chosen weapon hidden inside my body. That's not rocket science to work out. So what happens to Joe Bloggs then? Will every or randomly chosen passengers be subjected to all sorts of intrusive internal exams and xrays to see if they've got anything hidden in them? That's my view and I would imagine I am very much in the minority there. Some like yourself will agree because they feel very strongly about feeling safe in the sky, others, and sadly probably the majority wont even have thought about it, they'll just glory on in their usual sheep-like state.

Dougall is all ready for the road tomorrow so hopefully the weather at least will be on my side :smilewinkgrin:

GCA3N
26th March 2011, 09:17 PM
Good luck with it, I understand your view on health but to be Safe in the sky I’d do absolutely anything. The only time I’ve flown since 9-11 was a private plane and I was actually at the controls. Got to say I seen the second plane hit the second tower live and it put the ****ters right up me for commercial flights and not flown since.

My sister fly’s round the world and on planes every week although most of her flights are to Luton for her work and its never been brought up. Is this new this style of scanning?

Statistically your chances of being killed on the road are far higher mate. Sorry for that happy thought.

Mon the fish
27th March 2011, 06:52 AM
What's for you won't go by you. Live fast, enjoy life. Go out with a bang, not a whimper

satans little helper
27th March 2011, 12:50 PM
What's for you won't go by you. Live fast, enjoy life. Go out with a bang, not a whimper

good advice that :thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
27th March 2011, 07:21 PM
Lenore and I always seem to set off the regular detectors when we fly -especially Lenore - last year we flew out of Manchester and it was our first experience with a body scanner. Have to admit to being a bit sceptical, but I found standing still with my arms in the air for 10 seconds significantly less personally-intrusive than having a stranger run his/her hands over my body touching my genitalia.

When you weigh up the number of "bodies" passing through each scanner on each persons shift there's no way they'll possibly remember or 'get off on' one individual.

Sheilz, you're right to be able to refuse to travel by air, regardless of the reasons, so I hope your road trip goes well.

A.

GCA3N
27th March 2011, 07:28 PM
Lenore and I always seem to set off the regular detectors when we fly -especially Lenore - last year we flew out of Manchester and it was our first experience with a body scanner. Have to admit to being a bit sceptical, but I found standing still with my arms in the air for 10 seconds significantly less personally-intrusive than having a stranger run his/her hands over my body touching my genitalia.

When you weigh up the number of "bodies" passing through each scanner on each persons shift there's no way they'll possibly remember or 'get off on' one individual.

Sheilz, you're right to be able to refuse to travel by air, regardless of the reasons, so I hope your road trip goes well.

A.

100% agree Andy when I go offshore I fly from Aberdeen and the frisk is shocking I mean really, they go right up the inside of your leg and well pretty much everywhere else.

satans little helper
27th March 2011, 07:48 PM
100% agree Andy when I go offshore I fly from Aberdeen and the frisk is shocking I mean really, they go right up the inside of your leg and well pretty much everywhere else.

that would be great if shes bang tidy though :p:D

weefossy
27th March 2011, 08:40 PM
Sheilz, I'm no HR expert, but I don't think your employer can force you to fly. We had 2 people at Bright Grey who had a fear of flying and they were allowed to travel everywhere by train. You could go by rail to Peterborough and hire a car from there. Not to long a drive to MK. I have done similar when there were flight problems. The hire company even dropped me back to the station.
As long as you are reasonable about making an effort to get there, your employer should have no case to argue.

GCA3N
27th March 2011, 08:48 PM
that would be great if shes bang tidy though :p:D

Yeh if only, tends to be middle aged male, balding with a distinct body odour problem.

AndyP & Lenore
27th March 2011, 10:16 PM
Yeh if only, tends to be middle aged male, balding with a distinct body odour problem.

It's the sly grin that slowly spreads across their face when the beeper goes off that scares the bejesus out of me.

Being serious for a moment, these guys/gals are (I like to think) professionals doing a very difficult job in challenging times. I'm sure the majority are absolutely fine. It's just the occasional 1 that gets a little too 'handy!'

A.

GCA3N
27th March 2011, 10:19 PM
It's the sly grin that slowly spreads across their face when the beeper goes off that scares the bejesus out of me.

Being serious for a moment, these guys/gals are (I like to think) professionals doing a very difficult job in challenging times. I'm sure the majority are absolutely fine. It's just the occasional 1 that gets a little too 'handy!'

A.

here's hoping Andy,:rolleyes::smilewinkgrin:

Sheilz
27th March 2011, 11:03 PM
There has been an outcry in us because of pretty blondes being targeted for the us version of patdown. This involves patting down inside trousers etc. There has been such an outcry that the excessive searches have been discussed in the senate. The issue of travel is being brought to the attention of the chief exec tomorrow. My contact was not pleased about it. Anyway dougall had a braw run down the road. I broke with tradition and missed out the post run mini run. Nice long lie tomorrow before toddling into town. Forecast is good for tomorrow so should have a canny run home. Ace. My boss just doesnt like folk getting any enjoyment from a task. If i hated driving she would have insisted on me doing just that.

GCA3N
27th March 2011, 11:16 PM
There has been an outcry in us because of pretty blondes being targeted for the us version of patdown. This involves patting down inside trousers etc. There has been such an outcry that the excessive searches have been discussed in the senate. The issue of travel is being brought to the attention of the chief exec tomorrow. My contact was not pleased about it. Anyway dougall had a braw run down the road. I broke with tradition and missed out the post run mini run. Nice long lie tomorrow before toddling into town. Forecast is good for tomorrow so should have a canny run home. Ace. My boss just doesnt like folk getting any enjoyment from a task. If i hated driving she would have insisted on me doing just that.

I think some reverse psychology is in order next time me thinks ;)

Sheilz
28th March 2011, 05:59 PM
Am just north of lancaster. The sun is shining. Shades and a tank full of petrol. Mary would be outraged if she saw the lug to lug grin . Lol