PDA

View Full Version : Stone chip in heated windscreen

cat1spot
22nd March 2011, 10:01 PM
Hi,

Looking for some advice please.

I got a big stone chip last night,:sad:, which has caused a tiny crack in my windscreen, I'm not sure whether it could be fixed by a repair but was wondering if anyone could advise whether a repair is possible on a heated screen or if the crack damaging the screen would cause the all of the heating elements to fail.

If the screen does need to be replaced do I need to get it done by Mini as I have the rain sensor and auto-dimming mirror or do the windscreen repair companies deal with those? An added complication is that the car is only 9 months old and has an outstanding issue with rear view mirror vibration.

I've only ever had a standard windscreen replaced once before on a car out of warranty before so sorry if these are obvious questions!

Any advice much appreciated,
Vicki

Forbes
23rd March 2011, 10:17 AM
Speaking about the r53 here. The windscreen guy said to me they can do repairs on them but if they hit, or it already is on a wire it will stop it working on half the screen.

As mine was in my line of sight I got my windscreen replaced and the windscreen company could do everything. Took them circa a hour, normal one took them around 10mins

cat1spot
23rd March 2011, 08:46 PM
Speaking about the r53 here. The windscreen guy said to me they can do repairs on them but if they hit, or it already is on a wire it will stop it working on half the screen.

As mine was in my line of sight I got my windscreen replaced and the windscreen company could do everything. Took them circa a hour, normal one took them around 10mins

Ben,

Thanks for the info. I phoned Autoglass and they're coming to my work tomorrow to do a repair. Unfortunately the chip is just off centre of the screen maybe slightly towards the driver's side about 6 inches below the bottom of the where the mirror connects to the screen so if half of the heating goes due to the wire breaking it's going to be pretty useless as a heated windscreen. If they're wanting just to repair it I suppose I'll need to agree to it but subject to the heated screen continuing to be operational.

Fingers crossed it'll be ok,

Vicki