PDA

View Full Version : FAO Mac lovers and IPOD users

R7 ETH
23rd July 2004, 04:47 PM
Just been reading 3GGG's recent purchase and was wondering if i bought an IPOD is it as as simple copying the WMA files onto the IPOD to listen to ?

You see what i do is put CD's in my laptop then copy them using WMP which creates WMA files.

Do i need a bit of freeware to convert the WMA files into a format that the ipod will recognise or can the ipod read the WMA files ?

Also is the IPOD the best for the money ?

Also how many CD's would i get on the Mini Ipod which is 20GB ?
Sorry for all the Q's:D

GAJ
23rd July 2004, 05:22 PM
Well Gareth - The iPod does not recognise WMA files. WMA is a proprietary Windows format which does not currently work on the iPod. I believe that there is no reason why they could not work; it is just that Apple has decided to use MP3 and AAC formats. This may change with a future software update but who knows. The iTunes music store uses AAC.

There are plenty utilities kicking about that will convert your WMA files to MP3 and this is an option if you have loads. For the best sound quality though, you would be best to re-rip them from the CDs as AAC or MP3s; the reason being both WMA and MP3/AAC are 'lossy' compression methods i.e. they lose some information, resulting in degredation in quality. Although when you rip from CD to one of these formats the degredation is hardly noticeable it is there. When you convert one lossy format to another lossy format the degredation obviously increases. iPods come with free iTunes software which makes this very easy. This software is also used to 'load' the iPod. It depends on how fussy you are!

Is the iPod best value for money? The answer is horses for courses! I would answer yes and I have had 4 different large capacity MP3 players. It is not the cheapest but in terms of ease of use it blows all the others away. It also looks cool as..!

A 20GB model will hold around 5000 songs or so on average, it depends on whether you will be filling it with 2minute blasts by the Ramones or 20 minute epics by Tangerine Dream!

For maximum listening pleasure I recommend the Ramones!:D

R7 ETH
23rd July 2004, 05:27 PM
quote:

A 20GB model will hold around 5000 songs or so on average,

Sweet :cool:

Been on Amazon and theirs is the cheapest so far about £175.00.
so if i get the IPOD mini I then install the software (which works with windows ????) then stick all my CD's in and record them to MP3 using the IPOD software :question:

Gismo
23rd July 2004, 05:28 PM
Shoulda known Gaj would beat me to it 8):evil:;):)
Wher's 3GGG :eek:

I don't think the iPod accepts WMA files :I
The usual format for music is MP3, download from the net something like musicmatch and rip your CD's into MP3 format

Having had 2 kinds of MP3 player i reckon the iPod is better than the Creative, but, as KJ mentioned in another thread the iRiver looks quite nice

You should be looking to get a fair amount of tunes on a 20 gig unit, roughly 5000 songs

GAJ
23rd July 2004, 05:40 PM
Gareth the iPod MINI is not 20GB though. It is only 4GB!

The rest of what you say is spot on!

R7 ETH
23rd July 2004, 05:47 PM
Doh yeah you are right :I

So i would get about 500-600 tracks from the 4GB one probably.

Think i might place the order at lunch time, give time for people to give some comments

Gismo
23rd July 2004, 05:56 PM
I've not seen the 4gig version, but i would strongly recommend you get something with a larger hard drive, you'll forever be loading tracks etc

R7 ETH
23rd July 2004, 06:00 PM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/sim-explorer/explore-items/-/B0001Q25PQ/0/026-6034959-7596461

GAJ
23rd July 2004, 06:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by R7 ETH

Doh yeah you are right :I

So i would get about 500-600 tracks from the 4GB one probably.

Think i might place the order at lunch time, give time for people to give some comments

The iPod mini holds about 1000 songs.Suppose it depends how many songs you have got to put on it. I bought my current iPod (40GB) as my old one was full. I've currently got about 5000 songs on this one and I am still able to use it as a handy portable firewire hard drive. It's soooo cool!:cool:

I much prefer the look and feel of the iPod mini but the capacity is too small for me. Personally, I would hang fire a wee bit and get the new improved 4th generation iPod (http://www.engadget.com/entry/4078754764342743/). V Cool!:cool::cool:

minidriver#1
23rd July 2004, 06:29 PM
does the ipod take data files also? cos a bigger drive would come in handy for taking your work around with you which is what i do with my iriver.

GAJ
23rd July 2004, 07:11 PM
Yup! It works just like any other external Harddisk. It also stores calenders, contacts, notes etc. like a simple PDA and (at least if you have a mac) updates and synchronises this data with your computer everytime it's connected!

Oh! And my dad is bigger than your dad!!;)

3GGG
23rd July 2004, 08:07 PM
Sorry, I've been a bit busy this morning and only had a quick chance to read the thread, Gareth if you have iTunes 4.5 or later on a Windows PC then you can convert WMA files to AAC or MP3 format. iTunes is a free download from Apple and is the jukebox program you use to sync up to an iPod.

3GGG
23rd July 2004, 08:10 PM
Regarding capacity, it depends how big a collection of music you have and how much of it you need with you at any time, but personally 1000 songs is enough for me most of the time, you can put them into playlists in iTunes and just decide which playlists you want on the iPod.
I do have a 20GB iPod as well, but have only used about 3.6GB of it so far. The rest is handy as a data drive for backups etc.

The Dogfather
24th July 2004, 01:57 AM
I'd go for the 20GB version at least, I've got the 10GB I-Pod and it's nearly full. My CD collection isn't that large but I get CDs out of the library for 50p and copy them to my PC and I-Pod. I rip to MP3 as that allows you to create custom MP3 discs, which hold nearly 160 tracks, these can be played through most DVD players, great for parties etc.

itunes is a great piece of software. Also, if you have a PC or MAC which is WiFI enabled and buy device called Air Tunes (£99)you can play music over a wireless network. IE. just set up your PC with custom playlists in Itunes. Connect the AirTunes device to your HiFi. Set the PC/Mac to play any playlist in itunes and music will come out of your HiFi, simple, the device works wirelessly to about 20m.

R7 ETH
26th July 2004, 07:12 PM
Just ordered my new Silve mini I pod from Comet !!!

Seems like no one has them in stock yet but comet said they were expecting them today :p

euan
28th July 2004, 01:29 AM
I recently bought a 20Gb Ipod and have spent hours loading tracks onto it - upto 13GB now.

I wanted a Mini as I fell in love with it, but it was never going to be enough space for me.

X30YES
31st July 2004, 09:17 PM
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/......I use this one to convert etc , easy to use ....or look
http://www.download.com/3000-2140-10042534.html

X30YES
2nd August 2004, 04:29 PM
iPod iTrip mini + PowerPod Car Charger for iPodmini
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41002&item=5711780689

R7 ETH
2nd August 2004, 04:43 PM
Thanks for that link think i might start bidding

GAJ
2nd August 2004, 04:54 PM
Too late. The auction finished yesterday!

X30YES
2nd August 2004, 05:06 PM
as you say G ...it's finished, but sure it will be back again soon