PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Arghhhhhh

Gismo
16th March 2011, 04:52 PM
Decided to format and reinstall Windaes 7 cause the PC had slowed to almost a crawl.
I'm anal about backups (ooerr) and had plenty copies of the same files blah blah
Cut a long story short, when importing my files back to where i wanted them and then confirming that all the files were ok.................. i deleted the back ups :blush:
Anyway, turns out, that when you copy files in a folder in Windaes 7 it creates a short cut, not a frikkin actual copy, result, all files lost :ragin:

Invested in a file recovery programme and voila, it is in the process of recovering my deleted files.

Due to some of my files having too long a name it didn't delete to the recycle bin, big lesson learned today and $70 lighter :computer:

Craig
16th March 2011, 06:12 PM
Oops ! :thud:

(ya fud). :clap:

Gismo
16th March 2011, 09:40 PM
Hmm, turns out that anything placed in the Library (where i had it) actually is a short cut to the file wherever it is stored on the PC :blush:

AndyP & Lenore
16th March 2011, 11:46 PM
Oops. :sad:

Learned a long time ago backups are never deleted. Ever. Period. Just buy another hard drive.

And it's not really Windaes 7 fault. Really. Is it. I mean, really.

A. :hand:

lamdacore
17th March 2011, 02:07 AM
Shouldn't of bought software. Recuva from piriform is a superb file recovery tool.

Gutted though. File recovery is long slow process.

Try acronis or shadow protect for backups or stick your data on an external hdd. I'm sure you can get TB drives for around £60
Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Gismo
17th March 2011, 02:11 AM
Yep, i had external back up drives running constantly, but, after i'd cleaned up my PC and "saved" my files i deleteed the back ups :blush:

All in it took 25 mins to recover the files including downlooding the software, buying it and installing it, well pleased with the outcome.
Approx 150 GB of data, very fast in my book

Gismo
17th March 2011, 02:12 AM
And it's not really Windaes 7 fault. Really. Is it. I mean, really.

A. :hand:Of course it is, stoopid stoopid file structure :blush:

zimbo
17th March 2011, 10:43 AM
(ya fud). :clap:

:laugh: thats him :thumbs up: