PDA

View Full Version : Window Tinting in Aberdeen

AberdeenMini
23rd July 2004, 07:20 AM
Anyone know of a good reputable place in or around Aberdeen? I'm wanting legal tints.

Gismo
23rd July 2004, 05:00 PM
Hi, John and I both got our cars done at Gordons Garage in Pittodrie Place (or something, can't remember), excellent job and cheap too, £150 if i remember correctly.
The guys that do it use the garage about once a week, i don't have the number but if John see's this he might still have it.

You could always try the garage itself :)

AberdeenMini
24th July 2004, 08:33 PM
Cheers BonniScotland, will do! :)

X30YES
29th July 2004, 05:49 AM
asked about dark windows tonight at the dealer ....not legal after Jan this year ?

Sheilz
29th July 2004, 06:13 AM
What happens if you already have them? I'm getting factory tints on mine. On nm2 someone said they make the car look like a van.:( Are the factory done tints the same all round (apart from windscreen)? Why is life never simple?
:D:D

X30YES
31st July 2004, 05:47 PM
Thought about getting them done on my new car ,( just slipping that one in quietly);)to be told that some law thingy has been adapted preventing blacked out widows being fitted after a certain date (dealer info)!!!

Craig
31st July 2004, 06:10 PM
the law is that most new cars (mini included) have tinted windows and the manufacturer has tinted them to the maximum allowed by the law, therefore any further tints on the driver or passenger front window will be illegal. This also means if your caught, your car is given a prohibition order so that you are unable to use it until the tints are removed. (this is a brief summary of what is about a 2 page document...)

bottom line - if you have additional tints on your front windows, they are illegal...

The factory tints are only done on the back windows and rear windscreen, so they are perfectly legal...

john
31st July 2004, 06:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Hi, John and I both got our cars done at Gordons Garage in Pittodrie Place (or something, can't remember), excellent job and cheap too, £150 if i remember correctly.
The guys that do it use the garage about once a week, i don't have the number but if John see's this he might still have it.

You could always try the garage itself :)

No longer available at Gordons garage,so it looks like Tinthause is the only option or there is a guy works out of a unit at Kintore does it too:cool:

GAJ
31st July 2004, 07:24 PM
This document (http://www.pentagonglasstech.com/downloads/pentagon_legal_update.pdf) explains the current situation regarding Section 32 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations so far as it applies to tinted window film.

Sheilz
1st August 2004, 04:52 AM
Ok Angus, tell us what you've ordered, spec and delivery date. C'mmon, spill the beans!
:D:D:D

eddie 44
1st August 2004, 06:57 AM
work mate was charged £60 for having dark tints on
driver & passenger side widows . it seem tayside police
have a new toy :mad: they call it tint master ,:disapprove:
it cost him £ 40 to get tint removed . he was driving
a people carrier , so what the :D

sleepyrascal
2nd August 2004, 07:22 AM
TRUST ME, get you and your car over to see Scott at Tinthaus in Aberdeen. I had mine done and it looks great. They know everything there is to know about tinting, and will fill you in on all the do's and dont's etc. DETAILS BELOW!

(01224) 890690

3 Bourtree Techno Pk, Minto Av
Aberdeen
AB12 3JZ

sleepyrascal
2nd August 2004, 09:24 PM
Can I add. With regards to legality issues and window tinting... Yes it seems that it is now illegal for tints on front windows (drivers&frnt pssngr), however, I have medium tints on these windows which darkens the glass without blacking out the window. I have been alongside many traffic cops and none have bothered in the slightest. Also, I assume that the new legislation was launched to wipe out the stupid tints that some drivers were using. I mean black windows!! My tints seem to be acceptable, and although technically illegal, the police turn a blind eye! The key is, only get a light tint.

However, someone might be able to fill me in on a few questions I have. If the police did stop me, could I argue that my tints, although not factory fitted, were installed before the legislation, and therefore, legal??

Also, how would the tints I have affect my insurance? (TESCO). I didn't bother checking before I went ahead with it. silly me.

I think If you want tints, it has to be all windows or none. Your mini will end up looking like some wierd van concept from the wierd world of BMW with only rear tints!!

Sheilz
3rd August 2004, 06:44 AM
I agree. I'd a gander round JC's and wasn't impressed with the effect of only the back three windows done. It looks droll. Wee Ecy's first visit will i think be to tinthaus and then to get his bumpers done. (M4XNS is a car to die for:p:p)
:cool::D:D:D

sleepyrascal
3rd August 2004, 08:21 PM
if you mention to scott that i sent you to tinthous, he might give you a discount. worth a try. I'm Ewan by the way.

MartinSullivan
3rd August 2004, 08:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by sleepyrascal

if you mention to scott that i sent you to tinthous, he might give you a discount. worth a try.

I am going to give that a shot :p owt for nowt!!!! :D

Craig
6th August 2004, 03:46 AM
sleepyrascal - to answer your questions, regardless of when you got your tints done, if they are over the percentage allowed (i think 70 % of light has to get through), then they are illegal. when you got them done doesn't matter. I think I will have to move, cause our traffic polis will do you for looking at them, far less having tinted windows!!

I agree the 3 tinted at the rear doesn't look the best, but the thought of constantly being pestered by the local constabulary stops be from even thinking about it. Some of the local cops have been advised by the traffic to get their windows tint removed, so if they are willing to do their own....:(:(

sleepyrascal
6th August 2004, 06:16 AM
Yeh but as i said, I have 35 tint on my windows, and no police chap has pulled me up or bothered me! I think if your gona turn up at the likes of a fast and modified cruise or something, the police know to look there and will go out to find illegal tints. But otherwise, i'm not realy concerned anymore. Its more the insurance issue that bothers me! At the end of the day, as long as the police can see you through the window, they aint gona say anything!

Sheilz
6th August 2004, 08:14 AM
I was talking to a chap who works in Halfords (Abdn) who was made to remove his tints because they were 45%. They were medium grade. My car is booked into Tinthaus 9am Mon. When I spoke to the chap he mentioned medium for my car. What is the difference between that and the grade 2 maxine's husband mentioned to me? I guess I'm trying to draw a balance between having a car that looks like van and having tints that are reasonably subtle.

sleepyrascal
6th August 2004, 08:37 AM
My windows were donr by scott at tinthaus. they are medium, which is 35%. I have had no problems.

Sheilz
6th August 2004, 06:04 PM
that sounds just fine with me
!:D:D:D

AberdeenMini
8th August 2004, 03:56 AM

My windows were donr by scott at tinthaus. they are medium, which is 35%. I have had no problems.

Im going on wednesday to get mine done 'Medium'. Whats this about insurance, will it affect my insurance?

sleepyrascal
8th August 2004, 04:25 AM
Thats what I was asking. Technicaly if the tints are illegal, then I was concerned that the insurance company could use that as a payout escape in the event of a claim. Maybe not. I'm not sure.

AberdeenMini
8th August 2004, 04:30 AM

Thats what I was asking. Technicaly if the tints are illegal, then I was concerned that the insurance company could use that as a payout escape in the event of a claim. Maybe not. I'm not sure.

Never thought about that! hope nae :eek:

Craig
9th August 2004, 02:51 AM
SR and AM - let's put it this way, if you have an accident, just hope the engineer doesn't look at your windows or they will NOT pay out. This has happened to a friend of mine a few years ago and it cost him big time!

I agree the car looks better with all the windows tinted, but with so much to lose:
Insurance not paying out
getting fined and having to take the tints off.

is it really worth it??

AberdeenMini
10th August 2004, 07:54 AM
Dam it never thought about that! Now im in a dilema, will I or wont I?
Maybe i'll just live dangerously.... :p

sleepyrascal
10th August 2004, 09:07 AM
I'm willing to risk it i think. Appreciate your point though Craig. The thing is, a few years ago, window tinting was legal(within reason). So unless your friend had MAJOR tints that completely obscured the view in or out of the car, I can't see how that could be a reason for insurance not paying out!?!? My tints are very descreet, do not obscure vision in or out of the car, and also double as uv film and security film. I plan to decrare to insurance boys that I have the film as a security device!

Nenah
10th August 2004, 10:33 PM
In my former life as a lawyer (no lawyer jokes please) I used to handle MVA and personal injury insurance claims for a well known large UK company (yes, it was as boring as it sounds!) - from my experience, if the insured disclosed their modifications at the time of entering into the insurance contract, legal or otherwise, the insurer would apply a reasonable test in assessing their payouts. if you dont disclose (and all policy contain a duty to disclose) then you'll be treated with the same respect you give the insurer. You may pay a higher premium but I dont understand, given the amount of money invested in some cars, why you wouldnt to protect that. My car is insured through a specialst insurer for modified cars - Footman James - I have disclosed the new tints to be noted on my polciy (no extra premium payable) and I have piece of mind should the unspeakable happen. I'll get off my soap box now (if you've still interested enough to read this far...)

Sheilz
10th August 2004, 10:55 PM
Thanks Nenah, that sounds like pretty good advice to me. Am away to phone my chap now. :D:D:D

M4XNS
11th August 2004, 01:35 AM
Hi Sheilz,

Colin phoned our Insurance guys other day and told them bout my wheels, arches and tints. It did cost an extra £200 (also due to my recent 3 points addition !!) but as Nenah said definately worth it.

You gonna make it to exhibition centre on Sunday with the boys, can't wait to see your new arrival. :D

Nenah
11th August 2004, 02:19 AM
Youre most welcome!! Better to be upfront with them as insurance companies dont give you the benefit of doubt when it comes to the crunch - at least it will show on your records you have been honest which will allow them to exercise discretion if you ever have to make claim that is related to modifications. :)

Sheilz
11th August 2004, 09:06 AM
Dont know. Have a HORRIBLE feeling that I'm working :disapprove:
The new arrival is looking good BUT I'm taking HIM back to JC tomorrow to see if they can adjust the front lights. The dips are worse than useless. The beam hits the road dead and beyond the next white line I'm in darkness!! IIts pretty embarrassing driving at 40/50 on the A90 when there are no adverse road conditions. Its just taken me forever and a day to get back from Arbroath. Still I love driving my new mini. I'm going to order the chrome, or is it stainless steel, front and side vents as part of those wee touches......Cant afford to do anything else just now!
:D:D:D:D

sleepyrascal
11th August 2004, 07:06 PM
Sheilz, are you sure you havn't just got the load setting to 3 or something. The level of the dipped beam is electronically adjusted by a switch inside the car.

Sheilz
12th August 2004, 07:21 AM
No, I tried dipping on all three (or four?) settings and there is little difference in any of them. I Had Kris (son) in the car with me coming along Cookney road tonight and he agreed that the beam is so limited its dangerous. I've spoken to JC about it so will get it sorted out asap. I'm sure they will be able to do some adjusting to make it more acceptable. otherwise my car will have to be confined to the town after dark - a curfew!

:D:D:D

Gismo
12th August 2004, 05:18 PM
I consider the lights in general on all MINI's to be poor and mine to be pathetic, every time i'm at the dealers i ask for them to have a look at the adjustment as i consider them dangerous, i fitted the driving lamps to assist on the open road

Burple
12th August 2004, 05:45 PM
Got a full set of Philips 50% brighter bulbs in mine...
Now THEY make a difference..:D
£25 a set... but bear in mind that you'll need 2 sets! dips and main beams!!
They made a hell of a difference out on the open road!
And a nice quick easy mod to do yourself... after the contortionist trick to get at the bulbs when the bonnet's open!! ;):D:D

Sheilz
12th August 2004, 06:07 PM
I got driving lamps on also and the full beam is excellent on the open road. I dont think I should have to change the bulbs myself. Decent lights ought to be part and parcel of the car.

Gismo
12th August 2004, 06:10 PM
I also have the philips bright bulbs, but, dip only as i have the Xenons, but my lights are still crap, when i use the beemer i can see perfectly well :cool:

Sheilz
12th August 2004, 06:22 PM
The car is booked into JC this afternoon so I will see what does. I'm terrific at making a pest of myself so will keep plugging this one tll I'm pleased with the result!:D

sleepyrascal
12th August 2004, 07:15 PM
Keep at it julz. JC are jokers. Thats why I went all the way to Calterdon in Inverness to get my mini, and I'm very glad I did. They have been briliant! As for JC, Unless your buying a car £25000+ then they don't seem to care much about you. SOrry, just the way I see it!

Sheilz
13th August 2004, 07:27 AM
Glad to say JC were very helpful. Got booked in despite them being very busy. The guy who'd fitted the stereo had disconnected the dipper setting switch - lights fixed in a matter of minutes. There is a vast improvement though they aren't brilliant - weren't on Hamish either. Got a new problem, was showing my sister the car and accidently pushed the cigarette lighter into its socket (a triple bought from Halfords) and the whole darned thing fused - no road angel, no lights (interior extras). Guess where I'm going tomorrow!
Does anyone know if this will just involve changing a fuse (the main cig socket isnt working either though it is lighted up) or is it a bit more complicated. Why did I not become an engineer or a mechanic!!
:(

Eggy7496
13th August 2004, 07:56 PM
Tint Haus is probably the best, i got my two front windows done for £100, they gave me a discount as my car was booked in for 9 and no-one turned up till 9.45! would have normally cost 117.50

sleepyrascal
14th August 2004, 12:50 AM
OK, just spoke to my insurer (tesco). If your front tints exceed 30 grade, you are not eligable to claim in any case of an accident as this is illegal and will be the case for pretty much all reputable insurers. I declared my windows as 30 grade and there was no extra cost involved.

Nenah
14th August 2004, 03:16 AM
quote:Originally posted by Eggy7496

Tint Haus is probably the best, i got my two front windows done for £100, they gave me a discount as my car was booked in for 9 and no-one turned up till 9.45! would have normally cost 117.50

TinHause did my front windows for £83 (incl VAT) - you musnthave flutter your eyelashes enough Eggy! :D

Nenah
14th August 2004, 03:19 AM

Keep at it julz. JC are jokers. Thats why I went all the way to Calterdon in Inverness to get my mini, and I'm very glad I did. They have been briliant! As for JC, Unless your buying a car £25000+ then they don't seem to care much about you. SOrry, just the way I see it!

mmm...yes this is true. Jai bought his Z4 from JC and they were didnt give a rat's until he pulled out bag off cash to do the deal on the spot - all of a sudden they started treating us with some respect. Their after sales service has been crap too. Not yet dealt with jC mini and not looking forward to it!

aimee_s
14th August 2004, 07:43 AM
hey folks-here is the choices of tinting from Tinthaus, from my mate who works for them.
V Light - 70% this blocks 30% of light!
Light - 50% this blocks 50% of light!
Medium - 35% this blocks 65% of light!
Dark - 20% this blocks 80% of light!
Limo - 5% this blocks 95% of light!
he advises no more than light on the front and whatever ya want on the back etc... do you guys think it'll look daft if its different shades? or will it not be noticeable..?! so many questions, and i aint even got the car yet!!!!

sleepyrascal
14th August 2004, 10:35 AM
Aimeee, Is it scott you know? It does look a bit dodgy with different shades. I went for Medium all round, and no police guy has stopped me or said anything.

And Nenah, I would avoid JC at all cost if possible. It's interesting what you said about Jai. Martin (my sisters fiance) went to look at an M3 at JC last year. He is only 24 and they more or less asked if he could afford it, and made it awkward to get a test drive. He told them to shove their M3 and nippped accross to town and county. Went back a while later to JC in his new impreza uk P1 just to rub the salesmans face in it!

duncan
14th August 2004, 06:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by aimee_s

hey folks-here is the choices of tinting from Tinthaus, from my mate who works for them.
V Light - 70% this blocks 30% of light!
Light - 50% this blocks 50% of light!
Medium - 35% this blocks 65% of light!
Dark - 20% this blocks 80% of light!
Limo - 5% this blocks 95% of light!
he advises no more than light on the front and whatever ya want on the back etc... do you guys think it'll look daft if its different shades? or will it not be noticeable..?! so many questions, and i aint even got the car yet!!!!

Better check what tint the windows have as standard, as even the very light would push the side windows over the legal limit.

What is it about window tinting anyway?
If you dont want people to see in, why not buy a van?:p

aimee_s
17th August 2004, 09:11 PM
not scott, but paul? he moved down to the edinburgh branch a while ago to manage it. I did think about the medium all round, but think ill need to check up with insurance folkies first, not point havin to take it off again if they wont pay out in a claim if theyre all too dark..!

Nenah
17th August 2004, 10:48 PM

And Nenah, I would avoid JC at all cost if possible. It's interesting what you said about Jai. Martin (my sisters fiance) went to look at an M3 at JC last year. He is only 24 and they more or less asked if he could afford it, and made it awkward to get a test drive. He told them to shove their M3 and nippped accross to town and county. Went back a while later to JC in his new impreza uk P1 just to rub the salesmans face in it!

Mmm..maybe just as well they are crap at JC BMW - I went in to pay for new series 1 a few weeks after Jai got his car (yes, I actually went back to be treated like crap again!:() and the sales guy never got back to me with the build/delivery date even after calling him 3 times...so I went an bought my mini instead - pleased to say their slack service was to my advantage as i LOVE MY MINI! :D

sleepyrascal
17th August 2004, 11:52 PM
Its a mixed bag at JC. Some people say they are great, some (most) people are like me. Glad I didn't pay them any money. Calterdon have be very helpful every step of the way, and It doesn't matter that Im not driving a 50k car.

I had a test drive set up over a year ago on a 2001 cooper. It was the only one in Scotland that cost less than £10,000 (due to milage) and I was realy keen because at the time, it was all I could afford. I got a call to cancel the test drive as the salesman that sits at the desk was 'not at work' apparently. I went up to see the car anyway at the time I was supposed to have the test drive (my lunchbreak) , and just as I arrived, the salesman in question was setting off on a test drive with Paul Gee. Obviously he knows his priorities... The people with the fattest wallets!

Nenah
18th August 2004, 05:24 AM
quote:[i]
Obviously he knows his priorities... The people with the fattest wallets!

Ahh well - business is business!

sleepyrascal
18th August 2004, 07:34 AM
Business is business, but thats not good business.