PDA

View Full Version : Wheels - Advice Wanted!!

Penny Louise
15th March 2011, 11:16 AM
Right... I'm struggling to come to a decision on what to do about wheels. I've currently got three sets in my possesion - my standard ones which i've only recently put up for sale (but not sure this is the right decision), a set of 17" Wolfrace Pro-Lites finished in gloss black and a set of 17" GP Reps.

I've got the GPs on just now and as much as I didnt think I was going to like them, they've grown on me and I do like the look it has at the moment. But I also liked the Pro-Lites even though they aren't anything special.

I really need to free up some space (and money) but don't know what ones to keep and what ones to let go of.

Help!!

Big Gordy
15th March 2011, 12:15 PM
Get rid of both sets and buy a set of 'S' lites:yes nod:
IMO still the best looking wheel for the mini :thumbs up: I know they're heavy but who cares when they look soooooooooooooooooooo good :moonie::smilewinkgrin:

Penny Louise
15th March 2011, 12:43 PM
Is that the same as the S Spokes? Because if so, thats what I want (ideally) even though I know they're common but there's a reason for that - because they suit them!

Well I've got a boy coming through to see the standard ones tonight so I think I'll just let them go and take things from there.

Big Gordy
15th March 2011, 01:03 PM
Is that the same as the S Spokes?

Yes :smilewinkgrin: A nice set of 'S' spokes and standard tyres and you're sorted :yes nod:
I run standard 15's for the winter, 'S' spokes on normal tyres for the rest of the time when the missus is driving:rolleyes: and 18" Kei's when there's no chance she'll be anywhere near it :p

These are all just my opinion mind you.....

The Dogfather
15th March 2011, 01:08 PM
The 16" wheels you are selling are quite light compared to S-Spokes.

If you go down the route of the S-Spokes you notice the car won't accelerate, brake or turn in as well as before. Yes they do look good but if you want good performance/handling you should look at other wheels.

Big Gordy
15th March 2011, 01:09 PM
I've got the GPs on just now and as much as I didnt think I was going to like them, they've grown on me

To be honest....I've never liked the GP's :frown: :sick:

Big Gordy
15th March 2011, 01:14 PM
You also need to remember if you ever want to trade your mini into the mini dealers they won't take it unless you have standard mini alloys on it. (I think I'm correct in saying that :confused:)

The Dogfather
15th March 2011, 01:15 PM
Just checked the weights, the 16" X-lites weigh 8kg the S-spokes weigh 11.4kg so that's 13.6kg of unsprung weight your adding which would be like carrying an extra 55kg of normal weight in the car.

GCA3N
15th March 2011, 01:51 PM
You also need to remember if you ever want to trade your mini into the mini dealers they won't take it unless you have standard mini alloys on it. (I think I'm correct in saying that :confused:)

They might take it gordy but they'll hammer your trade in price.

Big Gordy
15th March 2011, 04:13 PM
Thought I'd read somewhere on here Greig that some folks had trouble at trade in time when they had non-mini wheels:confused:

Forbes
15th March 2011, 04:33 PM
Depends what garage it is and how they are feeling.

As for what to do. It's your choice, it's your car.

I would say lower and wider on light weight wheels, but others will say OEM

Penny Louise
15th March 2011, 04:37 PM
Hmm... really don't know what to do... with my previous cars, I've always kept the standard wheels.

Thanks for everyone's advice. Chances of me trading it in at some point to a Mini dealer are very slim... but who knows.

ELFMAN
15th March 2011, 04:52 PM
Penny Louise, I think we discussed this in PM's before. I'd still stash the X-Lites in case of future trade-in, choose one of the 'aftermarket' wheels to put/keep on the car and punt the set you like least.

You can stick the X-Lites back on for the Winter.... BUT - as the Dogfather was saying, performance-wise there's the weight issue with the X-Lites being much lighter. It was always accepted by road testers in the mags (and me!) that the MINI was sweeter on 16's than on anything bigger and heavier. I quite like to see an R53 on X-Lites, as apart for the dynamic positives, they're not too common these days and actually suit the car. You pays your money... but don't get stuck with a set of alloys that the dealer will use as an excuse to mark down your trade-in, slim chance or not. Even a private buyer might look at it as a good thing that the car still has its original alloys... I kept my 'Star Spoke' 16's to put back on my R53 for trading in, but ran the car for years with my 16" Minilites.

Penny Louise
15th March 2011, 05:53 PM
:lol: Yeah we did... But I still haven't came to a decision haha! I'm a nightmare...

ELFMAN
16th March 2011, 09:16 AM
On Elm Street... Remind me NEVER to go shopping with you!!! :smilewinkgrin:

GCA3N
16th March 2011, 09:58 AM
Thought I'd read somewhere on here Greig that some folks had trouble at trade in time when they had non-mini wheels:confused:

I remember taking my R56 S in with the TD's on and they gave me a trade in price but the guy commented that it would have been higher if it had the original wheels on.

N16SHP
16th March 2011, 12:12 PM
Depends what garage it is and how they are feeling.

As for what to do. It's your choice, it's your car.

I would say lower and wider on light weight wheels, but others will say OEM

Very much agree with you Ben! I'm a big fan of some Mini's that are still stock, but you and Ryan's cars are great examples of how, for want of a horrible phrase, out of the box you can get with the Mini's! I think if your brave enough, go different, people will like it much better! Me...not so brave!

Penny Louise
16th March 2011, 12:44 PM
On Elm Street... Remind me NEVER to go shopping with you!!! :smilewinkgrin:

hahaha... I just can't make decisions lol!

Well... some of you will be disappointed to hear that I did sell the standard wheels last night... probably for too cheap as well (not very good at putting a price on things so tend to let things go to cheap) but never mind it's done now. I've got my heart set of S spokes if Im honest...

ELFMAN
16th March 2011, 01:04 PM
Ach, it's not the end of the world!

If you're set on the S Spokes, go for them, but if you like that style, how about 'Rota' RB Drift in silver? Tried to stick a pic on here, but it didn't work! Google it and check them out, or try www.performancealloys.com/wheel-details.aspx?ID=1877 I'd have a set in a minute, but I found out they won't fit over my big JCW Brakes. They're like Minilites and available in 17", I think they'd look FAB!

Penny Louise
16th March 2011, 02:48 PM
I know well the way I looked at it was if I need another set of standards at some point, i'll just need to hope that some nice person is selling a set on here or ebay lol...

Just had a look, they are similar aren't they but to be honest I'll be getting a second hand set if I get them because ideally I want to have them colour coded to the car :)

ELFMAN
16th March 2011, 04:42 PM
ideally I want to have them colour coded to the car :)

Get out the Dulux Chart.... and put the kettle on! Anyway, if you get S-Spokes, they're standard MINI stuff, so that wouldn't be a problem... unless they don't like the shade you choose!

Penny Louise
16th March 2011, 05:51 PM
Dark Silver... ;-)

Craig
16th March 2011, 06:13 PM
You could have bought my anthracite ones :Whistle:

Burple
17th March 2011, 11:13 AM
I probably shouldn't leave this here.. but... ;)

B6gjArwuIWE&

I got a leaflet the other day, posted from Rybrook Mini in Worcester (where I got the car) offering what looks to be a very similar service, any colour or pattern you like on Mini wheels :thumbs up:

..Just sayin'... lol can't imagine it'll be cheap tho..

Penny Louise
17th March 2011, 11:28 AM
No I can't imagine it will be cheap... I've got a few people in the wheel refurbishment/powdercoating trade so hoping I won't have much hassle when it comes to it (unless I'm lucky enough to get a set already done) bu thanks (even though I cant see the video because of stupid restrictions on the work PC)

Craig, out of interest, how much realistically are they worth?