PDA

View Full Version : Detailing. [ iron x ]

Scottie
5th March 2011, 05:58 PM
Well it's the time of year that I start to think about detailing my mini again. Done a wee stock check Ive ordered most products that I fancied trying this year just waiting on them arriving. Included this year was iron x soap gel keep reading good things about this stuff so I'm wondering has anyone on here used it and if so what do you think.

Just deciding on what wax to go with this year any suggestions? Thinking swisswax this time round again any one used it and if so what one?

Ta.

Stewart
5th March 2011, 07:45 PM
Is this like Claying without the Clay? Sorry I was reading about it there? If so it looks like a spray on and leave and wash off option thats safe.

CarPro Iron X is an intensive fallout remover suitable for use on all exterior automotive surfaces (with the exception of anything made from, or coated with, chrome).
Thats half my car then!!!

I need to use the stuff I have, but like you I keep seeing new waxes and think I like the sound of that. Just spend £50 in Cleanyoucar....as I needed Megs Hyperwash and a new Sonus Wash Mitt, plus a few wee bit and bobs that will arrive on Monday. But still got a near full Pete 53 wax and brand new Megs 16 wax....:frown:

My Alloys have picked up slight damage here and there, one with a chip in the paint after having all four new non RF tyres put on as in December and I’ll notice a few more things probably when its gets it first proper wash next week.:ragin:

Leaving totally redoing the Polish, Glaze and Wax and going nuts on trim and windows and everything till nearer May for the Highland Tour. I got Stuff recommended from Ian for the brake dust and it looks like it will do the job and I got Autosmart Tardis and Autosmart Trim Ultra last year still you use on the car although I have tried them and both work great.

Grieg was saying dodo juice hard candy was working well fro him and I did read some good reviews but having bought a few waxes I’ll use them first.

Scottie
5th March 2011, 09:02 PM
I bought the soap gel ironx from i4detailing it is applied like washing the car. Hard candy might be a good wax but not for me. I have several waxes in my case but looking for so something else to try. I did have best in show in a sample pot but can't find it now.

Doug_m
5th March 2011, 11:51 PM
Just hope it doesnt smell like rotten eggs as the fall out removal stuff stiiiiiiiinks!!! But its good stuff ;)

As for waxes... Why not try some sealants? Blackfire wet diamond is awesome stuff, leaves silky smooth and lasts for months!

Scottie
5th March 2011, 11:55 PM
I have and use sealants I like jet seal 109 and CG creme glaze. I like to wax on top.

Stewart
6th March 2011, 12:31 AM
Blackfire wet diamond Dug i have this and rate it, always looks spot on and beads like mad. This is whats on the car just now and has been over winter.

I see Tim has it at Clean you car. you'll have to tell us if its any good. did not fancy the other stuff that said stay away from Chrome...:frown:

GP BILLY
6th March 2011, 10:27 AM
Was at a wee detailing meet last week (chemical guys place in cambuslang) and
they used Iron x on a white BMW, first time I had ever heard of it and seen it in
action. (my god it is the worse smelling thing ever:laugh::laugh:)

Seems when you clay a car it gets rid of say 95% of the wee iron fallout but there is
that 5% that's still stuck in the paint (like a wee arrow head) and the Iron x when
applied make the paint swell and out pops the last bit of fallout which you get when
washing the car after iron x application :thumbs up::thumbs up:

Well thats what it sounded like when they were talking about last week :laugh: I maybe
completely wrong but I am sure mr king will ammend my wrongdoing's when he reads this:thumbs up:

On the subject of wax what about chemical guys Celeste Dettaglio, heard good reports
last week about it. Not cheap at £120 but if you something different:yes nod:

Stewart
6th March 2011, 12:34 PM
I know you get that Wax thats £7K but even £120 for wax is pushing it in my book. If I had a brand new 458 and it was regarded one the best then yeah but for my wee Mini its doing well with Pete's 53 or Meg's 16 wax around the £10-20 mark.

Its David is it not up in Cambuslang I got my Pete 53 from him ages ago.

ianking
7th March 2011, 12:04 PM
Ive been using iron X for a wee while now. Infact almost finished my first batch.
Its very handy for alloys that havent been looked after very well. If the alloy wheel cleaner cant remove the wee black pits on the wheel then the iron X seems to get rid of it.
I have used it on a couple of white cars where claying wouldnt remove bonded foreign objects.

As for wax I still cant go past Zymol glasure or Zymol concourse for a boutique number.
For every day wax then megs 16 or colli is hard to beat when you factor in purchase price

Scottie
7th March 2011, 07:12 PM
Thanks I have the titanium for winter and the concourse for any other time just fancy something else to try. I'm more a fan of sealant as I believe it has saved me a few times with bird poo either that or the birds round here have Eco friendly poo.

ianking
7th March 2011, 08:38 PM
Well Fi if you have any nice boutique waxes that you dont want any more and you fancy selling then I could be interested.
Or if you fancy swapping for any sealants that I have as Im not really as sealant man.

Scottie
7th March 2011, 08:45 PM
Keeping them got nice case I keep them all in now well between that and the fridge I know sad for an oldie women like myself.. What can I say. I hope to use the ironx wednesday if the weather holds.

Scottie
7th March 2011, 08:46 PM
I really fancy some sample pots but every time I look on detailing world I seem to be to late

ianking
7th March 2011, 08:53 PM
I really fancy some sample pots but every time I look on detailing world I seem to be to late

Yeah me to. I would like to try Swisswax best of show but have missed the last 2 sample runs.

weefossy
10th March 2011, 08:35 PM
Question from a numpty........what are the pros and cons of applying sealant?

ianking
10th March 2011, 09:26 PM
Sealant is a man made protectant and wax is a natural protectant.

People say that sealants can last longer and they are probably right but I would say that the waxes generally look better.

I prefer the type of sheeting and beading that my waxes give versus that from the sealants I have.

weefossy
11th March 2011, 11:22 PM
Thanks Ian. "sealant" sounds like it would be a more difficult to remove or add another coat, but I'm only guessing. I'll stick to wax.......now where did i put these old candles I was keeping?

Stewart
12th March 2011, 10:01 AM
Sealant in my view is extremely easy and quick to put on, you just wipe it on leave it to cure a bit then go over it with a clean MF cloth, but yeah a we bit of effort to take off but not to bad if you have a last tough product like Meg's Last touch! Mist any difficult part and it brings it up........
I have the Sealant for winter and wax for summer. I just think in winter when I’m not going to wash it every week I put it on and happy for four or five months with the wax they usually say five to six weeks before it breaks down.

In summer I do think wax looks better.

Not that I’ll be waxing this week with the snow back with vengeance!

Doug_m
12th March 2011, 01:49 PM
With the blackfire sealant i have the residue is the easiest buff off from all the polish/wax/sealants ive used. All depend on the products nature and also how long you leave it to cure.
Ive used waxs that are a total nightmare to buff off.

Stewart
12th March 2011, 01:58 PM
blackfire sealant that what I have....:thumbs up:

euan
21st March 2011, 09:54 AM
Guys, need some advice.

I washed my wifes car at the weekend and it was covered in tar spots, so knowing I'd read about tardis on here I thought I'd check it out, and then came across this post as well. Am I right in thinking that to get the tar off I'm probably better with tardis, but that this stuff might be worth a go in the first instance?

I'm slightly loathe to tardis the car as it was waxed the last time it was washed and it's a fair old job (she has a C-MAX - LOADS of body panels!!!) but if it's the only way I'll need to try it.

Ian, interesting what you said about the tar spots on alloys, mine are in a real state and my usual alloy cleaner (autoglym) just didn't shift them. In fact, I broke my brush trying to do it so need to get a new one! Can you use Tardis on alloys or is this stuff a better bet?

ianking
21st March 2011, 11:25 AM
Tardis and Iron cut are 2 different things.

Tardis removes bitumen type spots such as tar. Iron X removes mettalic based spots such as metal filings from railway lines that have landed on the car and metallic rust sposts that have come from brake discs.

I would use tardis for the tar on the car and the tar on the wheels. Its a much cheaper product as well. Im sure I pay about £15 for 5 ltr. You can get some iron cut if you are having difficulty removing the black spots from the wheels. Try tardis in the first instance but if it wont shift it then iron cut should, it is expensive though.

euan
21st March 2011, 12:24 PM
Tardis and Iron cut are 2 different things.

Tardis removes bitumen type spots such as tar. Iron X removes mettalic based spots such as metal filings from railway lines that have landed on the car and metallic rust sposts that have come from brake discs.

I would use tardis for the tar on the car and the tar on the wheels. Its a much cheaper product as well. Im sure I pay about £15 for 5 ltr. You can get some iron cut if you are having difficulty removing the black spots from the wheels. Try tardis in the first instance but if it wont shift it then iron cut should, it is expensive though.

Great stuff, will order some of that up and get the arms working to wax it up again! Any suggestions where from? Polished Bliss were doing it for £20 quid for 5L so if you can advise somewhere cheaper would be appreciative!

ianking
21st March 2011, 01:24 PM
I get mine from the autosmart rep that visits me.
You could always go on ebay and buy 1 litre worth from a seller on there.

AndyP & Lenore
21st April 2011, 09:26 PM
500ml Iron X arrived today. Gonna get stuck into the FL2 tomorrow. Full detail. Big job.

A.

Scottie
21st April 2011, 09:31 PM
I gave mine ago and it was only effective on the exhaust of allans car a the wheels on my mini, I'm guessing because my car is well detailed there was not iron deposits on the car, either that or the ironx shampoo is rubbish

AndyP & Lenore
21st April 2011, 10:34 PM
I'll Interesting Fi...

I'll let you know how I get on. I have noticed some "rust" looking spots on the bodywork, and I can only imagine these are iron filings from the road or brake deposits etc, as there's no way the bodywork is actually rusting.

The directions on the bottle say to wash the car, then spray on, leave for a few minutes then rub in with a damp cloth. Doesn't sound like they are describing it as a shampoo. How did you use it Fi?

A.

Scottie
21st April 2011, 10:37 PM
it's soap gel i have

1. Rinse well the surface using water power wash to remove dust & contaminants.
2. Pour on wet sponge, and wash the surface well.
3. While rubbing the surface, the soap gel will start to change color.
4. Rinse thoroughly the surface. Done.

AndyP & Lenore
21st April 2011, 10:57 PM
K. Mines is...

1. Wash the surface.
2. Shake well the bottle.
3. Spray on. Wait 2-3 min., while contaminants change color to purple-red.
4. Rub in with damp sponge. Keep surface wet. Avoid drying!
5. Rinse well with water.

Don't drink! lol

My bottle says.. "Iron.X Powerful iron filings & contaminants cleaner. Improved version. New, squash flowers smell."

It comes with it's own spray head nozzle.

A.

ianking
22nd April 2011, 08:06 AM
Andy you have the traditional iron X and Fi hasa the new gel type one.

I have the traditional one.

I wash the car, remove tar then spray with iron X. You will see after a couple mins it will turn purple as it dissolves the iron. Obviously if no iron then it wont turn purple. Then I give it another jet wash down to remove the stuff before going onto clay process

Doug_m
22nd April 2011, 09:40 AM
Polished bliss are raving about wolfs chemicals-brake duster which they have just started stocking.
Same thing as iron x but cheaper.

Wolfs products are getting gooooood write ups, have yet to try.

ianking
22nd April 2011, 12:03 PM
You could also use Autosmart industrial fallout remover. It will do the same thing for much cheapness.

Stewart
22nd April 2011, 05:47 PM
Interested in this stuff as it must be Brake dust thats on my alloys...I used the Autosmart tardis and it removed a lot of the black marks but still a lot of little black marks that wont shift.
chemicals-brake duster I take it this is just what i need???????? if its the same as ironX

Doug_m
22nd April 2011, 06:10 PM
Interested in this stuff as it must be Brake dust thats on my alloys...I used the Autosmart tardis and it removed a lot of the black marks but still a lot of little black marks that wont shift.
chemicals-brake duster I take it this is just what i need???????? if its the same as ironX

Check out polished bliss for details.
Wolfs chemicals- brake duster, same but cheaper ;)

AndyP & Lenore
22nd April 2011, 08:10 PM
A wee Iron X report. Not done on a MINI, so I'm not creating a new thread, just posting up a couple of before, during and after pics.

My passenger door panel after a good wash with Mxi Suds II. You can see the rusty looking bits which must be iron contaminants from brakes or the road getting stuck on the paintwork and looking horrible.
http://tili.co.uk/fl2/fl2_1.JPG

http://tili.co.uk/fl2/fl2_3.JPG

After spraying with Iron X.
http://tili.co.uk/fl2/fl2_8.JPG

http://tili.co.uk/fl2/fl2_10.JPG

The bonnet after a good wash.
http://tili.co.uk/fl2/fl2_12.JPG

Sprayed with Iron X
http://tili.co.uk/fl2/fl2_16.JPG

Iron X cleaned off. Still leaves the tar behind.
http://tili.co.uk/fl2/fl2_18.JPG

After claying. It started raining so the image isn't so bright and I haven't been able to get a coat of wax on it, so the FL2 won't be moving until there is wax on it next week.
http://tili.co.uk/fl2/fl2_20.JPG

Overall, I'm seriously impressed with Iron X's ability to show up and remove contaminants. But the stuff doesn't half stink.

Scottie
22nd April 2011, 08:59 PM
It sure stinks, I got nothing like that ie colour changing to purple, I must detail my car well.:moonie::thumbs up::cool:

AndyP & Lenore
22nd April 2011, 09:37 PM
It sure stinks, I got nothing like that ie colour changing to purple, I must detail my car well.:moonie::thumbs up::cool:

I'll be honest, the FL2 has not been kept as well as the other two.

But, could it also be the stuff you got was not as effective at showing the contaminants? No chance I'm using it on the MINI or the Beemer as they are all prepped for the summer. Maybe in autumn, or early winter... maybe.

A.

Craig
22nd April 2011, 10:47 PM
Good job Mr P ;)

Can't believe you let it get that bad :rolleyes:

AndyP & Lenore
22nd April 2011, 10:57 PM
Good job Mr P ;)

Can't believe you let it get that bad :rolleyes:

Cheers.:thumbs up:

I know. 3 cars, business to run, (long-lost) niece to spend time with, puppy to raise, something had to give.:blush:

A.:D

Stewart
8th May 2011, 11:22 PM
I never like to rave about a product as most car cleaning products do a fine Job but some work better for others etc. I have three waxes that all look good and do there job.:idunno:

But I got hold of wolfs chemicals-brake duster and put it in a sprayer and thought right I’ll give this a go.

I did my Alloys last week with Tardis to get rid of any tar and there was a few spots so it was really annoying when after you try your best there is still a lot of marks left that I took was baked in drake dust.

So sprayed away and as it takes me a good twenty minutes easy to get all the PW stuff out and ready it would have a good start to work. Snow Foamed the car leaving the alloys to just give it more time.

Rinsed the Foam and then washed the car. Final rinse went round the Alloys and I could see plenty of purple. Blasted the alloys clean and all the annoying marks are gone! I mean even at the very back.:sheep:

I don’t think the Alloys have been this clean since I picked the car up at the dealers. :thumbs up:

Strange thing to say but you buy stuff hoping it does a good job but this stuff is amazing. I think end of the summer when I go to do a major clean I’ll hit the body work at the boot and lower doors.

Just thought I’d share, but if IronX was half as good I’d have been impressed with it and its said to be even better………….:thud:

GCA3N
9th May 2011, 06:05 AM
Sounds good stewart need to give this stuff a try. Where did you buy it from?

Stewart
9th May 2011, 06:27 PM
polishedbliss.co.uk (http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/new-products-wolfs-chemicals-decon-gel.html)

I don’t know if you'd see the full effect on black Alloys, but I guess it gets rid of contaminates and that cant be a bad thing and you can use it on the body work.

Your Alloys will have been off and well treated and kept to a better standard by miles from my ones that have never been off the car and cleaned. But all the black pitted marks that no matter how you tried just would not budge more or less washed away.:thumbs up:

It’s the first product I’ve thought Bu**er me.:hand:

GCA3N
10th May 2011, 06:08 AM
This is true mate mines have been off atleat 4 or 5 times but I was more thinking of my HRV the wheels on that are not the best, cheers for the info pal.:thumbs up: