PDA

View Full Version : Ticking Noise

TroyBruce
2nd March 2011, 10:48 AM
Hi, Just got my mini the other week and noticed the engine is making a ticking noise. Is this common or is there something wrong? Its a 2008 mini one i have and i dont know anyone with a mini to compare it to. The tickings stays at a constant speed, doesnt increase with time or acceleration etc. I think it may be becoming louder, or it could just be me getting paranoid.

Cheers

Colin
2nd March 2011, 10:59 AM
You do get a very rapid ticking noise coming from the fuel injectors, which is normal on most cars with fuel injection.

But without actually hearing it its very hard to diagnose on a forum. That's my guess anyway, others may have more ideas?

Best just to monitor it and listen for changes.

Gismo
2nd March 2011, 11:04 AM
Not sure it'll be an injector if the ticking doesn't increase with speed, but, as your in Aberdeen there are loads of NMS members that can have a quick looky.
You didn't mention if the ticking is there when idling or when driving or both

Colin
2nd March 2011, 11:08 AM
Have you checked your oil level?

Could be a number of things? A leaking manifold gasket can cause ticking noises.

TroyBruce
2nd March 2011, 11:36 AM
Just got the car 2 weeks ago and it has been like that since i got it. Oil level seems fine and stuff when i had look over the weekend. It ticks when idling and driving but cant often hear it when driving because of noise of engine.

Gismo
2nd March 2011, 11:39 AM
I'd advise taking the car back to the garage for a second opinion since it's under warranty

TroyBruce
2nd March 2011, 11:46 AM
Yeah going to do that. Just wondered if the minis made a noise. First mini ive had so didnt have a clue

N16SHP
2nd March 2011, 12:24 PM
I've got an 07 Cooper S, and when your idling and driving you hear a really really faint ticking noise, have thought nothing of it, and assumed it would be the injectors too!

TroyBruce
2nd March 2011, 12:45 PM
Yeah it could just be that, my last car was pretty much silent tho and my mums clubman doesnt make a sound either

TroyBruce
2nd March 2011, 02:00 PM
If it helps, the noise is coming from the drivers side on the engine

Gismo
2nd March 2011, 02:14 PM
Then it's really likely to be the injector

TroyBruce
2nd March 2011, 02:42 PM
Away to garage just now...

Scottie
2nd March 2011, 07:17 PM
Both my coopers ticked both r56 one was 2006 the other a 2008. Think Ian Kings other Halfs cooper ticked also. I never bothered about it and both cars ran fine

ianking
2nd March 2011, 08:38 PM
Yeah Scottie is right, when sarah got her R56 cooper new in 2006 it ticked away like mad. I was told it was due to the high pressure fuel injection system.
Ive heard loads others do the same.

ELFMAN
3rd March 2011, 03:53 PM
Ditto. I'm certain mine (2008 S) 'ticks' a wee bit too... if it starts to 'Talk', see a doctor.

Doug_m
9th March 2011, 02:06 PM
Dont need to worry abt the tick now... Lol