PDA

View Full Version : Mini Rocketman Concept - The New mini MINI!!!

G17RDY
23rd February 2011, 08:57 PM
Todays news, MINI has launched yet another concept - the Mini Rocketman - The new mini MINI :thumbs up:

Taking the MINI Back to its roots, its going to be a similar size to the original Mini!!!

News here....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/motor-shows/geneva-motor-show/8343148/MINI-Rocketman-Concept-lifts-off.html

I kinda like it, but WTF is going on with the tail-lights????
Is it that small, that you can use the rear lights as a hoop to put on your keyring or what!!!

lamdacore
23rd February 2011, 09:27 PM
The front grill looks very Aston Martin inspired.

KenL
23rd February 2011, 10:03 PM
Looks crazy, but fantastic.

Probably too wee for my golf clubs but the next Gen MINI could well take a lot of its styling from this.

Stewart
23rd February 2011, 11:38 PM
The car is only slightly longer than the original mini but most of it is the same kinda size ;)
More details can be found by following the linky : http://www.motoringfile.com/2011/02/22/world-premier-mini-rocketman/
all i can say is... WANT :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KE5Ysu5BuPM

http://www.motoringfile.com/wp-content/gallery/rocketman_b/PFPR_346b.jpg
http://www.motoringfile.com/wp-content/gallery/rocket/3_4Heck_anders_2_Studio.jpg
http://www.motoringfile.com/wp-content/gallery/rocket/3_4Heck_flach_2_offen.jpg
http://www.motoringfile.com/wp-content/gallery/rocket/seiteHOCH_6_Studio.jpg
http://www.motoringfile.com/wp-content/gallery/rocket/Int1_2_final.jpg
Centre speedo uses new 3d style graphics
http://www.motoringfile.com/wp-content/gallery/rocket/int4_3_dunkel_rot.jpg
bottom half of the boot can be kept open for bulkier items
http://www.motoringfile.com/wp-content/gallery/rocketman_b/Bord_3_final.jpg
rear seats can be folded away for extra luggage space or extra legroom in the rear when travelling with 2 passengers
http://www.motoringfile.com/wp-content/gallery/rocketman_b/int7_2_ruck_roket_final.jpg
Double hinged doors for those tight parking spaces, also harks back to the exterior hinges on the original mini
http://www.motoringfile.com/wp-content/gallery/rocketman_b/PFPR_348b.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5299/5469699270_91b3e26ea0_z.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5216/5469689442_56262ddc08_z.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5091/5469095391_9b70126373_z.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5011/5469094993_5138717606_z.jpg
http://www.motoringfile.com/wp-content/gallery/rocketman_b/PFPR_351b.jpg
http://www.motoringfile.com/wp-content/gallery/rocketman_b/PFPR_349b.jpg

Lazy posting just nicked off NM:moonie:

The Dogfather
23rd February 2011, 11:44 PM
:rolleyes:

N16SHP
24th February 2011, 12:45 AM
I think the first thing that puts me off, is that they've called it 'The Rocketman'...Mini, after the day i've had, I'm half way to Skoda to order my Yeti, have you seen what it can do?

Gismo
24th February 2011, 08:53 AM
The neds would have a field day with those rear lights :Whistle:

zimbo
24th February 2011, 09:46 AM
Yeah I like that, if it turns up like that I will eat my hat!!!

I too am not too sure about those rear lights, they kinda remind me of a volvo C70 and I really DONT want a full UNION JACK see through roof thank you very much, make it a :scotlandflag: then yes :lol: and the only other thing I'm not too sure of/keen on is how the boot lid is hinged in the middle of the roof (it's certainly different anyway :yes nod:)

Don't see any of us doing a factory trip down south in one of those tho :laugh:

...where do I sign up :cool:

Colin
24th February 2011, 12:01 PM
The neds would have a field day with those rear lights :Whistle:

Was thinking the same myself :smilewinkgrin:

ELFMAN
24th February 2011, 01:42 PM
"And I think it’s gonna be a long long time
Till touch down brings me round again to find
Another bloody MINI Concept Car to own
Oh no no no, don't need a Rocketman...
Rocketman, a Concept I'd refuse to give a home"

(Apologies to Messrs. Taupin and John).

Why don't MINI just concentrate on fixing things like the 'Death Rattle' on the R56 S instead of constantly bombarding up with this impractical Design House Chic nonsense?
Although putting a nice pull-out Bird Bath at the back should go down well on Springwatch. (I refrain from making distasteful and sexist Kate Humble references).

By the way, speaking of Sexist - what's with these names? CountryMAN, PaceMAN, RocketMAN surly a bit 'Non-PC' for a brand with its finger on the pulse of the Modern World?

Colin
24th February 2011, 04:36 PM
"And I think it’s gonna be a long long time
Till touch down brings me round again to find
Another bloody MINI Concept Car to own
Oh no no no, don't need a Rocketman...
Rocketman, a Concept I'd refuse to give a home"

(Apologies to Messrs. Taupin and John).

Why don't MINI just concentrate on fixing things like the 'Death Rattle' on the R56 S instead of constantly bombarding up with this impractical Design House Chic nonsense?
Although putting a nice pull-out Bird Bath at the back should go down well on Springwatch. (I refrain from making distasteful and sexist Kate Humble references).

By the way, speaking of Sexist - what's with these names? CountryMAN, PaceMAN, RocketMAN surly a bit 'Non-PC' for a brand with its finger on the pulse of the Modern World?

:laugh:You crack me up Euan

Now go take your pills :p

Colin
24th February 2011, 04:39 PM
Actually does look quite good. The "real" one will prob be a more watered down version. The concept cars are usually way out there on the design front.

ELFMAN
24th February 2011, 05:37 PM
OK, it's not horrible and it's arguably more 'MINI' than the Countryman or the Paceman Concept, but if it does go into production, I don't know where it's supposed to fit in the MINI range.... it's all getting very confusing. AND I just realised I'll have to change my name to "ElfPERSON"...... or "ElfTHING" :argh:

BTW Colin - The pills don't really work any more.... :frown:

Duncan Stewart
24th February 2011, 09:14 PM
I think there is a great little car under all that concept car tat and silly name.
Would suit me fine as I don't need a big car and can't fit passengers in the back of my "big" Mini anyway :smilewinkgrin:

ianking
25th February 2011, 09:35 AM
I think that mini is Mucking Fagic.
I really want one, especially the see through union jack roof.

However I think the production version will be quite different.

GCA3N
25th February 2011, 10:01 AM
I think that mini is Mucking Fagic.
I really want one, especially the see through union jack roof.

However I think the production version will be quite different.

That roof is epic like you say I wonder how much will stay. The doors are a great idea too.

G17RDY
25th February 2011, 12:19 PM
Mmm concept version - YES!

But production version (if it happens) - i will reserve judgement!!

Lot's of the cool parts may be watered down, or lost - which is one thing i hate about the whole concept to production versions.

However i think i would rather have an original Mini - if i was to go with a car of that size!!

ELFMAN
25th February 2011, 06:10 PM
Why didn't they just bring the MINI out in this scale to begin with? :confused:

The Clubman came out because the MINI Hatch didn't have enough room, then the Countryman was 'necessary' because the Clubbie still wasn't big/practical enough for families, then the Paceman concept appeared because the Countryman's image wasn't sporty enough or something, now there's a desperate need for a SMALLER 'Rocketman' MINI?

Jeez, I wish they'd make up their minds!!! Does ANYBODY know what a MINI actually IS these days? It's apparently EVERYTHING, or maybe nothing...:argh:

I really am getting a bit fed up with the whole thing. It's like kids in a sweetshop - I want THAT, no, I want THAT, no, I want THAT! :frown:

Wonder if all these 'New Kids around the block' will affect residual values of our trusty old Hatches? :smilewinkgrin:

N16SHP
25th February 2011, 06:16 PM
I believe that in answer to your question, the Mini is no longer size related, but a brand/style status symbol! In that you don't buy the Mini because it's small, if you wanted small you'd buy an IQ or a SMART or something, instead your buying the brand and the benefits of owning a car for an executive car manufacturer if that makes sense? (the benefits being crap service from some dealerships and rattles that drive you mental :D)

craigib76
25th February 2011, 07:22 PM
i actually think the roof is superb and the interior especially the steering wheel is indeed with the keeping of going back to its roots from the classic where many a similar style wheel was pride of place in the cabin.... very classy bit of kit all round but think the lights would take a beating as stated before but other than that and the fact its an auto it looks all good

bet it costs a few quid aswell:yes nod:

G17RDY
25th February 2011, 07:22 PM
Why didn't they just bring the MINI out in this scale to begin with? :confused:

The Clubman came out because the MINI Hatch didn't have enough room, then the Countryman was 'necessary' because the Clubbie still wasn't big/practical enough for families, then the Paceman concept appeared because the Countryman's image wasn't sporty enough or something, now there's a desperate need for a SMALLER 'Rocketman' MINI?

Jeez, I wish they'd make up their minds!!! Does ANYBODY know what a MINI actually IS these days? It's apparently EVERYTHING, or maybe nothing...:argh:

I really am getting a bit fed up with the whole thing. It's like kids in a sweetshop - I want THAT, no, I want THAT, no, I want THAT! :frown:

Wonder if all these 'New Kids around the block' will affect residual values of our trusty old Hatches? :smilewinkgrin:

So are you giving up on Mini then and trading in for something else!

I heard Corsa's are quite good!! Hee hee

Sheilz
25th February 2011, 08:25 PM
I'd have one of these. The mileage quoted would be ideal for a daily runaround. Not so sure about the roof. Well I would like the roof but not with a UJ on it would be ace with a saltire. Agree with lots of the things that others have said about once its translated into a road car and defo about the status thing. I'm pretty sure I didn't buy a mini because it was built by an 'uppercrust' manufacturer though it did register as being likely to ensure some reliability, my choice was because it looked funky, fun and a bit different. However I would add that as minis have become as common as any other car on the road that many buy them for their perceived status. A prime example today was being snubbed by a woman parked in front of me with an 07 S who was taking her infant to the nursery attached to Catriona's school. My friendly nod of approval was met with an icy stare before she looked Dougall up and down as if he was something she'd run over. The two worded phrase that ran through my head ended with 'you'. Stuck up git! But laughable because my Dougall prob cost more than her car Grrrr! Can't stand snobbie folk like that, especially when they drive minis. Reinforces for me the status thing. Mind you as Catriona had already bolted for the school gate she was maybe snooty because she was entering a private nursery with no awareness that I've got the t-shirt.

Jeez what a garble. Sorry! Friday - long week! But back on topic I like this, it's defo a mini

Stewart
26th February 2011, 01:51 PM
I see this new three cylinder being brought in over some of the range. Be good if they could have the Cooper three Cylinder in town and four when you need it. Give it an eco button to drop a Cylinder.

CAR are predicting an all new MINI in 2013 based upon a platform and drivetrain shared with the 2014 FWD BMW 1 Series. Power will from a 3 cylinder 1.5 litre engine, in the JCW's case it will produce 230bhp. I imagine that the JCW launch will be somewhat later than the rest of the model range so probably autumn 2014 at the earliest.

ELFMAN
28th February 2011, 02:20 PM
So are you giving up on Mini then and trading in for something else!
I heard Corsa's are quite good!! Hee hee

I'm not giving up on MINI, I've been faithful for 10 years. But I AM giving up on trying to keep up with every new 'Special Edition' and New Model Concept which appear with greater frequency than repeats on 'Dave'.

I still can't work out what the Rocketman is for. Like I said previously - it used to be that the MINI was TOO SMALL, which spawned the larger variants form the Clubbie upwards, now what? It's too BIG so we need a Munchkin version? It's as if the motoring public, MINI owners now sadly included, like everyone else in the Wonderful World of Consumerism, have such a short attention span and low boredom threshold these days (and obviously a surfeit of disposable income - although I certainly don't know anyone in that situation at the moment) that they constantly need 'New Stuff' to keep them interested - and buying. Kerr-Chiiiiing!

My personal feeling is that when MINI was launched, and for years afterwards, it was unique and stood out from the herd. The Thinking behind it was different, the Design was different, the way it Performed was different, and - almost as importantly - the way it was PERCEIVED by the people who bought it was different - look how the New MINI scene took off, it's why NMS is here today. It was a MINI, not a 'Soft-Roader', not a 'Sports Utility Vehicle', not a 'Catch-All' Brand... and now that's just what it's becoming. I suppose that's just the way things are these days, some people will call it 'Progress' - I call it Conformity. Sheilz's tale is a wee snap-shot of how things have unfortunately changed. Maybe I'm just the Old Hippie in the Wine Bar, who remembers when it was a real pub!

BTW, I drove Novas for years, and while the Corsa is a decent motor - it ain't in the same league as the MINI. So no, I won't be swapping. Now, something like a 200+BHP Triple-Carbed MGC in red with sorted brakes, suspension and a set of nice shiny Minilites... I might be tempted.

The Dogfather
28th February 2011, 09:22 PM
There are currently 9 MINI's in our works car park, that's more than any other car. They're far too common now to be special.

ELFMAN
1st March 2011, 01:14 AM
There are currently 9 MINI's in our works car park, that's more than any other car. They're far too common now to be special.

Does that mean the dream is over...? :sad: Ah well, it was good while it lasted.

Mine still feels pretty damn special when I punt it down a good road though! :smilewinkgrin::thumbs up::motoring:

G17RDY
1st March 2011, 05:56 PM
I'm not giving up on MINI, I've been faithful for 10 years. But I AM giving up on trying to keep up with every new 'Special Edition' and New Model Concept which appear with greater frequency than repeats on 'Dave'.

I still can't work out what the Rocketman is for. Like I said previously - it used to be that the MINI was TOO SMALL, which spawned the larger variants form the Clubbie upwards, now what? It's too BIG so we need a Munchkin version? It's as if the motoring public, MINI owners now sadly included, like everyone else in the Wonderful World of Consumerism, have such a short attention span and low boredom threshold these days (and obviously a surfeit of disposable income - although I certainly don't know anyone in that situation at the moment) that they constantly need 'New Stuff' to keep them interested - and buying. Kerr-Chiiiiing!

My personal feeling is that when MINI was launched, and for years afterwards, it was unique and stood out from the herd. The Thinking behind it was different, the Design was different, the way it Performed was different, and - almost as importantly - the way it was PERCEIVED by the people who bought it was different - look how the New MINI scene took off, it's why NMS is here today. It was a MINI, not a 'Soft-Roader', not a 'Sports Utility Vehicle', not a 'Catch-All' Brand... and now that's just what it's becoming. I suppose that's just the way things are these days, some people will call it 'Progress' - I call it Conformity. Sheilz's tale is a wee snap-shot of how things have unfortunately changed. Maybe I'm just the Old Hippie in the Wine Bar, who remembers when it was a real pub!

BTW, I drove Novas for years, and while the Corsa is a decent motor - it ain't in the same league as the MINI. So no, I won't be swapping. Now, something like a 200+BHP Triple-Carbed MGC in red with sorted brakes, suspension and a set of nice shiny Minilites... I might be tempted.

I actually agree with you - There seems to have been a real explosion on the amount of models MINI have added to their range.
Still more to come, with the annoncement of the Paceman as well, wonder what will be next, a MINI BUS..... ha ha get it........no but seriously, how many models do we have now actual + planned concepts - Are we up to 7 so far??
And then like you said, all the special editions, Camden, JCW50, Graphite, Etc etc, the list goes on and on...

I guess if you want your MINI to stand out from the crowd nowadays, and it is becoming crowded out there! is to make alterations to it that are as individual as you are.

I remember MINI stated that every MINI that rolls out of the factory will be 1 or 2 in a million - As there is so many choices to spec it up!! But looking at every one for sale looks like 1 in 5 are the same!!

ELFMAN
2nd March 2011, 09:26 AM
I guess if you want your MINI to stand out from the crowd nowadays, and it is becoming crowded out there! is to make alterations to it that are as individual as you are.

I reckon if you want to stand out from the crowd, order a low-spec model and keep it bog-standard. It'll be the collector's item in ten years! (and it won't depreciate as much in relative terms as an option-laden purchase).

KenL
2nd March 2011, 10:44 PM
Elfman,

I agree with a lot of what you say :thumbs up:

However, I would much rather be without the pumped up MINIs (i.e. the Countryman) and have a chic, cheap wee MINI - i.e. the new concept, at least a version of it.

I would love a REAL MINI, small fun and cheap. How many do you think they would sell if they were fast and cheap?

I never use the rear seat in my MINI. I would really like a two seater with a secure space for my golf clubs. I am really interested in the Coupe, but it will not doubt be ridiculously priced.

It appears that car prices are not keeping pace with the rest of the world. Pretty much all new cars (perhaps especially the MINI) are ridiculously priced. MINI would do well to produce a people's car, for real people, not just the wealthy!

KenL
2nd March 2011, 10:53 PM
I reckon if you want to stand out from the crowd, order a low-spec model and keep it bog-standard. It'll be the collector's item in ten years! (and it won't depreciate as much in relative terms as an option-laden purchase).

I'm thinking that is exactly what my next MINI will be (if I don't look elsewhere) as I am not sure I want to spend as much on a car with fuel being so expensive etc.:frown:

euan
3rd March 2011, 10:19 AM
Elfman,

I never use the rear seat in my MINI. I would really like a two seater with a secure space for my golf clubs. I am really interested in the Coupe, but it will not doubt be ridiculously priced.

I'm not going to defend MINI pricing, but have you priced up a "normal" car of late? Even a bog standard Focus is 15.5K these days (granted, a Fiesta is closer in size and costs 10K). However, the point is for the coupe what is the competition? A basic Megane Coupe is over 17K and in terms of looks that's what people will compare it to. Most other cars are sold without many extras on them it's just that people like to add kit to Minis to make them more individual, it's what MINI sold as the aim when they came out. Also makes them a lot more money...

As for the Rocketman, I like it. The rear lights won't be on the production car, but the double hinged doors might make it (last large scale production car I remember them on was the Renault Avantime unless anyone can correct me?). The roof could make it but would be as an option I'd have thought.

Much more like it though :-)

ELFMAN
3rd March 2011, 04:26 PM
I would much rather be without the pumped up MINIs (i.e. the Countryman) and have a chic, cheap wee MINI - i.e. the new concept, at least a version of it.
I would love a REAL MINI, small fun and cheap. How many do you think they would sell if they were fast and cheap? It appears that car prices are not keeping pace with the rest of the world. Pretty much all new cars (perhaps especially the MINI) are ridiculously priced. MINI would do well to produce a people's car, for real people, not just the wealthy!

It's a tough one Ken, I know what you mean Re. pricing, but I don't see MINI ever doing a genuinely 'Cheap N' Cheerful' model, as it would kill the 'Prestige' image and possibly alienate the majority of the buyers for the existing range if they thought the brand was going 'downmarket'. It would also ruin the margins if buyers stopped speccing-up and stayed 'basic', so it pays to keep things relatively upmarket. I don't know how they'll price the Rocketman if and when it comes out, but I reckon it'll AT LEAST be in well-specced Fiat 500 territory (£11 - 12K+) - which I reckon is the target market for the car, people who are attracted to the MINI's Retro Chic, want a stylish, sporty wee car, maybe don't think (having never tried it) that the MINI ONE has the 'street cred' and aren't prepared to spend £££ on looking cool in a COOPER or S. Who can tell? If you want a 'Real Mini, small fun and cheap', you're looking at a Classic!

Personally, I've always bitten the bullet money-wise with my MINIs, as I reckon the extra cost is worth it in the first instance for the driving experience and the looks - and since 2003, I can't rule out the NMS Factor! I couldn't really have had much more overall enjoyment and good times with any other car and any other group of people, and despite my current moans at the way I see 'Corporate MINI' going, I still get a kick out of the whole MINI scene.

ELFMAN
3rd March 2011, 04:44 PM
I'm not going to defend MINI pricing, but have you priced up a "normal" car of late? Even a bog standard Focus is 15.5K these days (granted, a Fiesta is closer in size and costs 10K). However, the point is for the coupe what is the competition? A basic Megane Coupe is over 17K and in terms of looks that's what people will compare it to. Most other cars are sold without many extras on them it's just that people like to add kit to Minis to make them more individual, it's what MINI sold as the aim when they came out. Also makes them a lot more money...

As for the Rocketman, I like it. The rear lights won't be on the production car, but the double hinged doors might make it (last large scale production car I remember them on was the Renault Avantime unless anyone can correct me?). The roof could make it but would be as an option I'd have thought.

Much more like it though :-)

Euan - I agree Re. the COUPE, as I've said elsewhere, I think it's a genuinely interesting addition to the MINI range as it should offer excellent dynamics with the lower centre of gravity etc and with the JCW running gear it should be a really exciting drive, not to mention the unique looks. I'd certainly have one over a Megane any day (which is a good motor, but not a MINI!). As far as Coupe prices go - if you really want one, you'll find the cash for it. I was prepared to pay a premium my R53/R56 as I think they're worth the money from a driver's point of view, although the Coupe would be a bit harder to justify as it's going to be in a different price bracket to the R56.

I'm just not convinced we NEED the Rocketman in the mix as well - however cute and cool it might be - but I've mentioned in my previous post why it might be on the horizon.

Mon the fish
8th June 2011, 07:41 AM
The Coupe is right up against the RCZ - same engine. And the RCZ looks a hell of a lot better. Whether the French have yet mastered the art of building cars properly is anyone's guess

GCA3N
8th June 2011, 08:43 AM
The Coupe is right up against the RCZ - same engine. And the RCZ looks a hell of a lot better. Whether the French have yet mastered the art of building cars properly is anyone's guess

The RCZ is stunning but I'd love to see a works coupe next to it.

ELFMAN
8th June 2011, 09:11 AM
I still have a bit of a concern that MINI is becoming almost TOO diverse - if you can have such a thing - they've moved into other markets with the Countryman etc etc, where there ARE viable alternatives from other manufacturers at more affordable prices, whereas when the MINI was introduced, it was arguably unique in its market segment, not to mention a better drive than any of its 'competitors'.

As Mon said, the Coupe is up against lots of other stylish offerings, and the Countryman is in a market crowded with 'family-friendly' soft-roaders, which presumably are chosen mainly on practicality, equipment and price, not necessarily style and handling. A growing family won't automatically move from a MINI Hatch/Clubbie to a Countryman - they might WANT to, but other factors might dictate that they can't. As I've mentioned before, even MINI Hatch (and probably Rocketman if and when it arrives) sales must be taking a hit from the Fiat 500 (I've lost count of the number of 500's I've seen - mainly driven by women in their 30's - who I'll bet would've been in ONES and COOPERS a couple of years ago).

Visiting a MINI Dealer last week, I clocked the HUGE amount of 'Pre-Owned' MINIs on the forecourt, so while new car sales have been doing OK, every time someone buys new and trades in a year-old MINI (or younger - as you know, many folks don't hang on to their MINIs for long...), it must affect overall resale values, as there are now so many 2nd-hand MINIs on offer. I gathered that the finance package available for brand new cars is actually a bit more attractive than that for the 'Cherished' cars, which might explain the forecourt 'traffic jam'.

MINI can keep producing great cars, but they have to convince people to buy them (and the cars which were traded in for them) in sufficient numbers - which I obviously hope they do.

KenL
8th June 2011, 08:36 PM
On the Coupe, Motoring File are reporting that it will be priced between the hatch and the convertible. Hopefully that is not just the USA.

Mon the fish
9th June 2011, 08:04 AM
On the subject of the Coupe, I'm struggling to see the point. The styling (especially at the back) is a bit unresolved; it's heavier than the hatch; and it has the same power.

I can only see the point if it gets more power, and a 200kg weight loss (its 60-70kg heavier than the hatch) - a GP Coupe if you like.

Mon the fish
9th June 2011, 01:23 PM
Exactly! Beats me...

ELFMAN
9th June 2011, 03:19 PM
Good news today Re. BMW's investment into the MINI production facilities for the "Next Generation MINI".

I do wonder though exactly how "MINI" the "Next Generation" will be... fingers crossed.

gillianmcd
9th June 2011, 11:07 PM
Hey guys! Have only just seen this post as I've been away!!! WHAT THE HELL?!?! ha ha
Erm....anyways.....I was just in New York & saw heaps of Cooper S's!! Awesome! :)

The Dogfather
10th June 2011, 06:41 AM
If that's right about the Coupe being heavier than the hatch then the Coupe is the car for posers. I wouldn't mind but it's not a pretty car by any means.

Coupe = Own Goal

What a bunch of divs!