PDA

View Full Version : Second car insurance

Ferengo
22nd February 2011, 12:24 PM
Me and my wife have recently moved house. It's further away than we were before from our jobs and with our son the need for a second car was greater. So the other day I bought one. A VW bora 1.9 TDI :D (Had a jetta as my first car so I have a love for VW's).

I called up Chris Knott who said they could insure me but because I hadn;t earned any no claims on a second car that it would be high, and it was :frown:.

I tried Admiral as I'd been with them before. They went through both cars with me and got me a great deal on the MINI. When it came to the Bora they asked the same question about no claims on a second car.

I suddenly remembered I'd earned 1 year as a named driver on my wifes insurance with Diamond. Since Diamond was part of the Admiral group they guy thought it was possible to use that 1 year, so he went to check.

He came back saying he could turn that 1 year into 3 for me. I agreed but that sounded funny to me. Has anyone esle ever had "X" amount of years no claims just given to them?

Gismo
22nd February 2011, 12:46 PM
You're just a jammy git :Whistle:

ianking
22nd February 2011, 02:19 PM
Yeah it happened to Sarah (my significant other) when she insured one of the classic minis for me. They said because she had been named driver on my policy for a number of years and because previously she had 1 year herself they made hers a 5 year no claims. That was with Bell which is part of admiral.

Ferengo
22nd February 2011, 02:21 PM
You're just a jammy git :Whistle:

Lol, That is the consensus lately.

Ferengo
22nd February 2011, 02:22 PM
Yeah it happened to Sarah (my significant other) when she insured one of the classic minis for me. They said because she had been named driver on my policy for a number of years and because previously she had 1 year herself they made hers a 5 year no claims. That was with Bell which is part of admiral.

Cool. Just making sure it wasn;t something dodgy. Thanks.

AndyP & Lenore
23rd February 2011, 12:11 AM
Grant, just to give you further peace of mind, when we got a second car which was in Lenore's name so she had to insure it they asked how long she'd been driving and because she'd been a named driver on my policy for 6 years they gave her 5 years no claims straight away. That was with MINI Insurance too. Next year they were too dear, so we moved and she was able to take 6 years no claims with her. Result.:thumbs up:

A.:D

euan
24th February 2011, 09:47 AM
To follow up on this, Diamond gave my wife 2 years no claims when she bought her car as she had been on my car for that time.

I got a quote from Admiral for Multi-car the other day and it came out much more than having two policies! Anyone got any advice/experience?

Ferengo
24th February 2011, 11:42 AM
To follow up on this, Diamond gave my wife 2 years no claims when she bought her car as she had been on my car for that time.

I got a quote from Admiral for Multi-car the other day and it came out much more than having two policies! Anyone got any advice/experience?

I never checked to see if 2 policies would be cheaper but I was gonna be £280 more with my old insurer for just moving address and over £1000 for the Bora. Got it down to less then £800 for both cars fully comp with me and Sarah both as equal drivers on each. I also have an SP30 (3 points for speeding, oops) & still have to mention my claim for the car that rolled down Lochee road and was a right off. So not bad all in all.

I also had the miss fortune to reverse into a BMW 5. Did it so slowly there didn't seem to be any damage. Woman was a real cow about it. So I took loads of photos on my phone. She suddenly became really nice about it. Anyway that was over a month ago and have never heard anything. Man am I lucky.