PDA

View Full Version : Tuning an R53 Works 210

jdl_1967
19th February 2011, 09:56 PM
Has anyone tuned a Works? I've been looking at GTT's packages and just wondered where to go from the 210 standard Works setup.

I know you can go the turbo route, but I was looking at keeping the supercharger, I'd prefer to have the whine than ultimate power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craig
19th February 2011, 11:45 PM
Has anyone tuned a Works? I've been looking at GTT's packages and just wondered where to go from the 210 standard Works setup.

I know you can go the turbo route, but I was looking at keeping the supercharger, I'd prefer to have the whine than ultimate power.

Ask Alan (the gismo man) he went the 300 turbo route .... He rates gtt's work ;)

Mon the fish
19th February 2011, 11:51 PM
Depends on how far you want to go, and how much £££ you want to spend.

Start with-
- GRS/GP intercooler
- ITG filter
- Janspeed mani
- colder plugs

Then go for Newman cam, 550 injectors and a remap.

If you want the ultimate in power, fit a smaller pulley before the remap, although the JCW does have an 11% on it. And a better head

stoney
19th February 2011, 11:57 PM
Depends on how far you want to go, and how much £££ you want to spend.

Start with-
- GRS/GP intercooler
- ITG filter
- Janspeed mani
- colder plugs

Then go for Newman cam, 550 injectors and a remap.

If you want the ultimate in power, fit a smaller pulley before the remap, although the JCW does have an 11% on it. And a better head

Yep what mon said I tuned my old jcw as above it was a very quick car till the tapits went

Sent from Stoney planet

jdl_1967
20th February 2011, 08:58 AM
Thanks guys,

Do you think the tappets failing was a result of tuning the engine Stoney? Did you raise the rev limit?

The GP appears to have a slightly higher rev limit than the Works, is this to help to achieve the extra 8bhp? and is this the highest you can go on standard internals?

I've decided to sell my motorbike I think and thought I'd possibly re-invest some of the money in my MINI, unless my wife decides otherwise of course!

Mon the fish
20th February 2011, 09:00 AM
Also, what mileage does your car have? And how much as a JCW?

Mon the fish
20th February 2011, 09:05 AM
It's only the software and intercooler that's different on the GP. Depending on how healthy your engine is, the rev limit can be increased to near 8k.

And the stock internals are good for 350bhp

jdl_1967
20th February 2011, 11:45 AM
32,000 miles in total with 17,000 as Works

ELFMAN
20th February 2011, 01:07 PM
My 2003 210 Works had the following:
GRS Intercooler - keeps the air nice and Coooooooooooool - cold air = power. A great mod.
Playmini Manifold and System - Freed up the flow, helped revs and sounded the Business (ask anybody who heard it)
ITG Replacement Filter (retaining original Airbox) - helped it breath more easily - 'Charger whine a wee bit louder.
Superchips ECU upgrade (from handset via Diagnostic Port) - not a huge difference, but sharpened things up. (I still have the Handset which can apparently be reprogrammed at Superchips)

This made it a great wee car to drive, quick, sounded great etc, but without going OTT. Kept me - and others - entertained for 5 years!
(I also had JCW Suspension and Brakes)

Mon the fish
20th February 2011, 01:23 PM
Ok so your charger should be in good nick, and able to take a 17% pulley. Little point in a remap until you've done all the mods you want, and get a custom remap (Mynes gets a good name) suited to your particular engine, rather than a generic one.

250bhp is easily achievable, prob even 280 if you want it. Any more than that and you need to go turbo

ELFMAN
20th February 2011, 04:39 PM
250bhp is easily achievable, prob even 280 if you want it. Any more than that and you need to go turbo

And if I remember rightly, you'll need to go Petrol Station too! :smilewinkgrin:
Much Fun though. :thumbs up:

jdl_1967
21st February 2011, 07:58 AM
Thanks everyone, I imagine the fuel consumption may well be adversely effected. I guess you can't have it all

Mon the fish
21st February 2011, 08:13 AM
Not really. The JCW map is far too rich - if you keep the JCW pulley, and do intercooler, manifold, cam and injectors, and then get a custom tune, you can actually get better fuel consumption, as the car won't be running as rich.

Better fuel economy and more power - win win!

Unless you enjoy the power that much and boot the hole out of it - then you'll use more fuel

ELFMAN
21st February 2011, 03:42 PM
Unless you enjoy the power that much and boot the hole out of it - then you'll use more fuel

If you've got it - you'll use it! :smilewinkgrin:

stoney
21st February 2011, 06:11 PM
well im not shure if the tuneing wrecked the tappits or not but mine had about 55'000 when tuned and it came out to about 225bhp i think !!! if you have a look at my old indi blue thread a copy of the map is there !!

the JCW map runs very rich after about 6000 RPM but my old s had a very hard life so it did