PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Brakes!!!!

G17RDY
18th February 2011, 07:41 PM
Hello,

I wonder if anyone can shed any light on this potentially disastrous problem.

This problem with my brakes has happened twice now this week, and i'm getting worried that im going to loose them when i need them!

Ok, so whats happened, is when i pressed the brake pedal i seemed to have really reduced braking power.
I hear a ticky ticky noise, and my pedal feels like there is something between my pads and discs! This is going to sound weird, but it feels like there's a stone between my pads and disc, i get some juddery feedback on the pedal. and like i said reduced braking power.

The twice it has happened, i have released the brake, and re-applied pressure, and we go back to normal braking power. The second time tonight, i had to press a few times, to get back to normal.

It's obviously some kind of mechanical fault, like the master cylinder, or air in the brake lines?? Just spit balling here, to my own surprise i am useless when it comes to cars!!

Please help if you can?
Thanks
Gordon

GCA3N
18th February 2011, 07:46 PM
For me it sounds like you need pads possibly, when was the last time you checked them or changed them?

G17RDY
18th February 2011, 08:13 PM
Pads were checked on Monday, not even half worn! Discs are in good order.

The father in law (who's been a mechanic for 40 years) did me a wee service on Monday - But i forgot to mention this problem for him to check out.....Doh!!

Up until today, it had only happened once, and i didn't put much thought into it, as normally my brakes are tickety boo, in fact the car in general is in great order. But when it happened again tonight, i thought oh oh, somethings not right here!!

I'll speak to my father in law tonight, and see what he can do for me, i'm sure he'll know what the problem is, but i thought i would ask you Mini experts first to see if i can pin point the problem before i speak with him!

GCA3N
18th February 2011, 08:15 PM
hope he can sort it out for you, with out looking it could be a number of things.

cooperchris
18th February 2011, 09:57 PM
i get some juddery feedback on the pedal

Sounds like your ABS is kicking in when trying to brake normally. That would explain the reduced braking. Thinking the cars wheels are locked up an releasing the brake pedal, Hence the juddery pedal.

Just a thought, I've had it happen to me a couple of times, Just a quick lack of brakes, and as soon as released then applied again they work fine.

Hope this helps :thumbs up:

Big Gordy
18th February 2011, 11:54 PM
That was my first thought to Chris....ABS problem??

Gismo
19th February 2011, 09:14 AM
That was my first thought to Chris....ABS problem??Agreed, get it checked ASAP :thumbs up: