PDA

View Full Version : 3 Must Have Albums

N16SHP
13th February 2011, 08:33 PM
Well I was sitting updating my iTunes and putting on all the albums I own and hadn't got round to putting on which got me thinking. If you had to keep 3 albums forever, you couldn't buy any new ones and only had these ones to listen to, what would it be. Can't be a compilation like the Now crap, but a'l let you off with greatest hits. So here is my three:

Dire Straits - Private Investigation: Just timeless

Queen - Greatest Hits I: Classic Queen, and think if Freddie was still around today they'd still be making great music no doubt!

Chilli's - By The Way: A modern classic that in years to come will still be getting played.

Over to everyone else...

The Dogfather
13th February 2011, 08:56 PM
0lvVxmgN9_I SLrkE6T_m5Y

Portishead - Dummy - silky vocals trip hop

4Eb651s_o1Q SntJNLeHNS0

Melody Gardot - My one and only thrill - awesome jazz singer songwriter

iAs0xcSKvqs

Florence and the Machine - Lungs

GCA3N
13th February 2011, 10:25 PM
Good thread topic Neil. Actually quite a hard thing to call too. This is not my 3 favorite albums but if I could only have three then this is the choice.

Pink Floyd the wall defo my No 1
Metallica Metallica.
fleetwood mac rumours

has to be three totally different sounds.

Mon the fish
13th February 2011, 10:40 PM
Lifehouse - No Name Face
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Counting Crows - This Desert Life

GCA3N
13th February 2011, 11:16 PM
Lifehouse - No Name Face
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Counting Crows - This Desert Life

A man with good taste

Stewart
13th February 2011, 11:52 PM
Nice to see the Mac getting a mention. Although I’m not into Classic mac more just Tango in the Night. Queen is a given classic and already picked.

So hard to pick three as you just make up MP3 CD’s these days with a mixture. So I’ll go with Three Albums I put in the car to give a blast and the three albums I’d miss if I’d never had them all the years.

Depeche Mode- The singles 1981-98
New Order- The Best of New Order
DuranDuran -Decade: Greatest Hits

The last time I took the car for the run, I grabbed Best of Big country, Deacon Blue hits and Human League Greatest hits. Yes showing my age:Whistle:

GCA3N
14th February 2011, 12:00 AM
Nice to see the Mac getting a mention. Although I’m not into Classic mac more just Tango in the Night. Queen is a given classic and already picked.

So hard to pick three as you just make up MP3 CD’s these days with a mixture. So I’ll go with Three Albums I put in the car to give a blast and the three albums I’d miss if I’d never had them all the years.

Depeche Mode- The singles 1981-98
New Order- The Best of New Order
DuranDuran -Decade: Greatest Hits

The last time I took the car for the run, I grabbed Best of Big country, Deacon Blue hits and Human League Greatest hits. Yes showing my age:Whistle:

Again good choices could listen to any of those Stewart. I used to love big country.

Sheilz
14th February 2011, 12:06 AM
Paul Simon - Graceland
Queen - A Night at the Opera
John Lennon - Shaved Fish

GCA3N
14th February 2011, 12:11 AM
Paul Simon - Graceland
Queen - A Night at the Opera
John Lennon - Shaved Fish

I toyed on the Paul Simon one sheilz such an awesome album.

AndyP & Lenore
14th February 2011, 12:51 AM
Paul McCartney - Band On The Run.
Eurythmics - Revenge.
Amy Macdonald - This is the life.

I could go on to list loads, but the first two got me through my teenage angst years and Amy's first album is just sensational.

A.

euan
14th February 2011, 10:29 AM
Hmm, tricky one this.

Beatles - Revolver
I Am Kloot - I Am Kloot (came accoss this years ago when we saw them supporting someone at Brixton, love this album)
Oasis - Stop the Clocks - mainly because it has all the decent tracks on it plus Masterplan and Talk Tonight. Really i'd want the Noel Gallagher recording from the Royal Albert Hall that he did for charity though!

baptie
14th February 2011, 11:13 AM
Ocean Colour Scene - Mosley Sholes
Theory of a Deadman - Scars & Souvenirs (Lyrics are top banana)
Eric Clapton - Unlpugged

KenL
14th February 2011, 11:31 AM
The Stranglers - The Raven (easily my favourite album of all time - I grew up on this band and still love them)
Magazine - Second Hand Daylight (not that well known - check them out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om0jhPkOwhg)
Something by Mike Oldfield or Pink Floyd

Sorry about being 4 - can't split the last two!

Tam1314
14th February 2011, 12:46 PM
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
David Bowie - Diamond Dogs
Kate Bush - Lionheart

And cos its Valentines day today, Sade's Greatest Hits, get it on tonight in more ways than one

Big Gordy
14th February 2011, 01:04 PM
Rush - R30
Pink Floyd - Pulse.....simply AWESOME 'Comfortably Numb' version
Metallica - S & M

The Dogfather
14th February 2011, 01:10 PM
Wow, very few albums from the last 5 years or so. I think its time some of you updated your album collections ;)

euan
14th February 2011, 02:21 PM
Recent ones for me would be Jose Gonzales, Bombay Bicycle Club (awesome album), maybe some Sigur Ros and Radiohead In Rainbows, but if we're stuck on an island, the oldies are best ;-)

Mon the fish
14th February 2011, 03:01 PM
Ocean Colour Scene - Mosley Sholes
Theory of a Deadman - Scars & Souvenirs (Lyrics are top banana)
Eric Clapton - Unlpugged

Don't know if you're aware, but OCS are doing a Moseley Shoals tour, where they're playing the whole album live. I'm going to the Barrowlands gig, really looking forward to it!

Stewart
14th February 2011, 03:19 PM
Wow, very few albums from the last 5 years or so. I think its time some of you updated your album collections ;)

Thing is I stopped buying Albums years ago. The last Album I bought was Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers as it was seriously cheep at something like £3 for the double album, changed days from when I first passed my test at 17 and used to go into Tower Records in town and get fleeced £18 an album and more like £27 if it was an import.

Mind you Petrol was cheap then used to drive about all night, now it would take £18 just to get to the store. :smilewinkgrin:

euan
14th February 2011, 03:37 PM
Thing is I stopped buying Albums years ago. The last Album I bought was Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers as it was seriously cheep at something like £3 for the double album, changed days from when I first passed my test at 17 and used to go into Tower Records in town and get fleeced £18 an album and more like £27 if it was an import.

Mind you Petrol was cheap then used to drive about all night, now it would take £18 just to get to the store. :smilewinkgrin:

I hardly bought any albums last year and then went on a massive splurge - Amazon had them all for about 4-8 quid so bought a load of stuff at a fiver. The way everyone listens to music has changed as most people just buy the singles, and I don't listen to albums in the car really as the ipod is just left on random. At home since I went all digital there and it's all streaming from the NAS I definitely listen to albums. Having all the music that accessible makes a HUGE difference, although I've started kicking off a playlist from Last.FM and picking up all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff.

euan
14th February 2011, 03:41 PM
Also - I don't like how mainstream modern albums sound in the main. They're overproduced and just a wall of sound so everything blends in, whereas if you listen to something from the 80's and earlier on a decent setup and you'll hear everything as it was intended.

The Dogfather
14th February 2011, 04:01 PM
I agree that some albums are over produced but there's some great audiophile stuff out there as well.

I quite like some of the 'live lounge' albums the BBC do, as long as you ignore the dross artists.

Gismo
14th February 2011, 04:29 PM
David Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World (vinyl)
David Gray - White Ladder
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

euan
14th February 2011, 04:46 PM
I agree that some albums are over produced but there's some great audiophile stuff out there as well.

I quite like some of the 'live lounge' albums the BBC do, as long as you ignore the dross artists.

Agree with that - The Saturday Sessions ones are good, well worth a listen if you've not heard them.

euan
14th February 2011, 04:49 PM
David Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World (vinyl)
David Gray - White Ladder
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

I've not listened to David Gray in ages, that album was EVERYWHERE when it came out. I might need to revisit that one tonight. Bowie - I like a lot of his stuff but am ashamed to admit I don't actually have any of it at home, that may need to be rectified soon.

ELFMAN
14th February 2011, 05:32 PM
Jeez, that's difficult... I have about 33!!!!! (and a third - for all you oldies out there!). Being totally ruthless:

1. Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland. 'S'cuse me while I kiss the Sky" - the sound of the past, the present and the future. Jimi's key to the door of Rock Valhalla.
2. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon. The story of life in about 45 minutes. Beautiful Madness.
3. Led Zeppelin 4. This just covers all the bases. The biggest band ever, but with the lightest touch. A Masterclass in Sonic Awareness.

But I love music so much, I could fill whole thread by myself! Mostly older stuff, but I AM getting old and stuffy.
Beatles, Yes, Genesis, Rush, ELP, Cocteau Twins, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Joe Bonamassa, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Jethro Tull, Kate Bush, Motorhead, Bowie, Crowded House, The Stones.... Metal, Punk, Folk, Classical - The list goes "on and on... Across the Universe"!

Tam1314
14th February 2011, 05:55 PM
Kate Bush

l have everything Kate has ever done

The Dogfather
14th February 2011, 06:21 PM
Agree with that - The Saturday Sessions ones are good, well worth a listen if you've not heard them.

Yes, I've got them as well they're better than the Radio 1 ones overall.

Crombers
14th February 2011, 07:10 PM
In no set order,

U2 - Achtung Baby 1991 (which was a couple of years in front of THE best staduim concerts ever - Zooropa 1993)
Gun - Taking on the World 1989 (Giuliano & Dante Gizzi's finest moment, Glaswegiens as well)
The Blue Nile - A Walk Across the Rooftops 1984 (Glasgow's finest)

A thought has to go back to my youth and The Clash - Sandinista 1980 (their masterpiece) will be with me forever

Sheilz
14th February 2011, 07:35 PM
Eric Clapton - Unlpugged

That is an awesome album. Got in om my ipod just now :thumbs up:

ianking
14th February 2011, 08:15 PM
Such a difficult decission here.

I really do like my music both new and old.

Im big into Coldplay, Oasis, Radiohead, Kings of Leon but I also love oldies such as Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Eric Clapton, Paul Weller, Fleetwood Mac

My 3 albums if stuck on a dessert island would be

The Verve - Urban Hyms

Oasis - Definitely Maybe (but it was a hard call between that and Whats the Story Morning Glory)

David Gilmore - Live in Gdansk

but its really difficult to leave behind the likes of Coldplay Parachutes and Echoes Pink Floyd best of.

G17RDY
14th February 2011, 08:29 PM
Mine would be

1. Nirvana - Nevermind
2. Pink Floyd - The Division Bell (or wish you were here - Undecided at this point)
3. Spice Girls

Nah only kidding......................

I wouldn't put Pink Floyd in my top three!!!

euan
15th February 2011, 10:12 AM
In no set order,

U2 - Achtung Baby 1991 (which was a couple of years in front of THE best staduim concerts ever - Zooropa 1993)

I was there, at the front in the pen bit at Celtic Park when I was 17 having got there at something like 8am. First stadium gig I ever went to and it was awesome :-)

Crombers
15th February 2011, 01:26 PM
I was there, at the front in the pen bit at Celtic Park when I was 17 having got there at something like 8am. First stadium gig I ever went to and it was awesome :-)

I had been to at least 5 (2 x Tiffanys, 1 x Barrowland & 2 x SECC) U2 concerts before this tour so I always knew the gigs were brilliant. What stuck out by far on this one was the MASSIVE stage show that they had put together.

Off topic 'ish' ................ but

Bit of a story here ............. me & a few of my mates had tickets for the gig & were all set for a 'stonkin' day out :beer:. I worked part time in Heraghty's Bar back then and another one of the lads behind the bar mentioned that his cousin from Ireland was involved in the UK/Irish leg of the world tour. "Oh aye" says we "what's he doing then"? "Well" says he, he's a stage actor & he has been selected to do a support act all about the horrors of ethnic cleansing (for those who don't recall, back in the early 90's the atrocities of the Bosnian War were being relayed on our TV's on a daily basis) highlighting the plight of the war in former Yugoslavia. We quickly find out that he needs 50 plus 'extra's' to dress up as soldiers & carry flags around the pit/screamer (front pen as you called it) as they perform their show (I seem to recall a massive hoover on the stage). "Well look no further" says we & before we knew it practically most of Heraghty's young clientele had been signed up as extra's for the gig. All we had to do was be at Celtic Park by early afternoon & that was us for two days at the gigs for nowt in the sectioned off pit/screamer area (it's apparently called that because when the band walk out onto the catwalk type area, some folk tend to scream), a 100% freebie :thumbs up:

A brilliant weekend :hand: & feck me nearly 18 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!

Sheilz
15th February 2011, 07:57 PM
I had been to at least 5 (2 x Tiffanys, 1 x Barrowland & 2 x SECC) U2 concerts before this tour so I always knew the gigs were brilliant. What stuck out by far on this one was the MASSIVE stage show that they had put together.

Off topic 'ish' ................ but

Bit of a story here ............. me & a few of my mates had tickets for the gig & were all set for a 'stonkin' day out :beer:. I worked part time in Heraghty's Bar back then and another one of the lads behind the bar mentioned that his cousin from Ireland was involved in the UK/Irish leg of the world tour. "Oh aye" says we "what's he doing then"? "Well" says he, he's a stage actor & he has been selected to do a support act all about the horrors of ethnic cleansing (for those who don't recall, back in the early 90's the atrocities of the Bosnian War were being relayed on our TV's on a daily basis) highlighting the plight of the war in former Yugoslavia. We quickly find out that he needs 50 plus 'extra's' to dress up as soldiers & carry flags around the pit/screamer (front pen as you called it) as they perform their show (I seem to recall a massive hoover on the stage). "Well look no further" says we & before we knew it practically most of Heraghty's young clientele had been signed up as extra's for the gig. All we had to do was be at Celtic Park by early afternoon & that was us for two days at the gigs for nowt in the sectioned off pit/screamer area (it's apparently called that because when the band walk out onto the catwalk type area, some folk tend to scream), a 100% freebie :thumbs up:

A brilliant weekend :hand: & feck me nearly 18 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome :thumbs up:

minimad
20th February 2011, 03:56 AM
hi folks here goes ...1..THE ROLLING STONES...EXILE ON MAIN STREET.
....2..PINK FLOYD .......PULSE
....3..LED ZEPPLIN...MOTHERSHIP.

GCA3N
20th February 2011, 09:56 AM
hi folks here goes ...1..THE ROLLING STONES...EXILE ON MAIN STREET.
....2..PINK FLOYD .......PULSE
....3..LED ZEPPLIN...MOTHERSHIP.

3 amazing albums

AndyP & Lenore
20th February 2011, 10:51 PM
Awesome story Crombers. Don't you just love it the way some things pan out.

A.:thumbs up:

Big Gordy
20th February 2011, 11:18 PM
I remember going to Knebworth back in '79' to see Led Zeppelin....awesome concert:yes nod: Turned out to be Bonhams last:frown: Other notables were AC/DC at the Apollo in '78' when Angus came on stage for the encore on Bons shoulders both wearing Scotland tops....place went mental :p First Motorhead tour, again at the Apollo, deaf for 2 days afterwards....ahhh them were the days:cool: Going to see Aus Floyd next month, Foreigner,Jouney & Styx in April and the mighty RUSH in may....:yes nod: Bring it on...!!!

ianking
21st February 2011, 09:18 AM
Gordy
Im going to see Aus Floyd next month as well.