PDA

View Full Version : R55/56 steering wheel removal ?????

GP BILLY
11th February 2011, 05:25 PM
Is this an easy job ??? does anybony have a link to a step by step
thread to how this is done:thumbs up:

Craig
11th February 2011, 06:48 PM
Is this an easy job ??? does anybony have a link to a step by step
thread to how this is done:thumbs up:

Fiona should know as she (or most prob Allan) has done it ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scottie
11th February 2011, 06:56 PM
easy job check out the totalmini forum in the how to section takes about 15mins to do.

ianking
12th February 2011, 05:15 PM
Ive done it before Billy. Easy as pie, 15 mins like Fi said.

Basically round the back of the wheel there is a hole that you need to insert the likes of a T10 or T15 torx screw driver into so that you can pop out the airbag clip. The bag then lifts out. There are a couple of small torx heads holding in the multi function buttons then pretty much take off the nut that holds the wheel on and thats it.

Gismo
13th February 2011, 08:21 AM
If I remember rightly, there should be a small dimple in the steering wheel shroud where you have to insert the small bladed screw driver to pop the air bag, you will make a small hole in this shroud but it's not noticeable due to its size.
If there is no dimple then you have to try and "feel" for the insertion point and then pierce the shroud at that point.
Sounds worse than it is, I know mikeythemini does it every other day and i'm sure he'd be able to help with better advice :thumbs up:

ianking
13th February 2011, 04:20 PM
It was only the 3 spoke R50/53 bag that youhad to cut. The 2nd gen 3 spoke bag has the hole ready for you.

N16SHP
13th February 2011, 08:29 PM
slightly off topic, but I am now an expert at removing the steering wheel inserts....although after my car had steamed up and I honked the horn several times, I think the neighbours think i've finally lost the plot and gone too far with the love for my car now:smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin:

GCA3N
14th February 2011, 12:02 AM
slightly off topic, but I am now an expert at removing the steering wheel inserts....although after my car had steamed up and I honked the horn several times, I think the neighbours think i've finally lost the plot and gone too far with the love for my car now:smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin:

Well done Neil looking forward to completing your unique project mate.