PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Engine - Belt or Chain? - An Answer.

Andrew
9th February 2011, 12:03 PM
I'm not a member of TotalMini and I had my first look there yesterday. Just to do my nosy :blush: One of the threads was about the above.

I have recently took delivery of a diesel Clubman and it was a question I had forgotten to ask the dealer. So, rather than go back to the dealer I thought I would contact Mini direct - Here is there reply:

Thank you for your email dated February 5, 2011.

I understand that you would like confirmation of whether the MINI Cooper D Clubman, manufactured in October 2010, has a timing belt or chain. I can confirm that the vehicle has a timing belt, which we would recommend would need changing at approximately 100,000 miles.

I trust this answers your query satisfactorily. However, should you have any additional queries, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Yours sincerely

MINI UK
John Brookes
Customer Information Executive

100,000 miles seems a lot but it probably means I won't have to pay for it.

Andrew

ianking
9th February 2011, 01:10 PM
Its a Pug HDi engine so for extra piece of mind see what the belt interval is on a 207 HDi.

Its a wee bit wrong of MINI just to say 'replace after 100k' as the belt will deteriorate over time and it could take someone 9 years to do that mileage if they dont go far with the car.

Big Gordy
9th February 2011, 01:15 PM
it could take someone 9 years to do that mileage if they dont go far with the car.

More like 28.5 years in our case...:rolleyes: (I'll be 80.....jeez there's a thought....lol)

Andrew
9th February 2011, 01:45 PM
Its a Pug HDi engine so for extra piece of mind see what the belt interval is on a 207 HDi.

Its a wee bit wrong of MINI just to say 'replace after 100k' as the belt will deteriorate over time and it could take someone 9 years to do that mileage if they dont go far with the car.

Thanks Ian. I had a quick google and found these two car ad's which say 150,000!!

http://www.buyacar.co.uk/peugeot_207_diesel_hatchback/car_16_hdi_112_sport_3dr_19719.jhtml

http://listers.co.uk/New/Cars/Peugeot/207/1.6_HDi_Sportium_5dr/49823

I'll try looking in the Peugeot forums when I get a bit more time.

Andrew