PDA

View Full Version : Panel below engine come off...

spobojob
30th January 2011, 05:53 PM
Absolutely fuming with my local Mini garage, 2 days after my Mini service (today), I was driving along the motor way and all of a sudden a noise as if there was a tornado zipping up through my engine...!

Stopped the car, and checked the engine, all looked ok, got down to the ground and looked undeneath the engine to find the plastic panel below the engine which protects it had ripped off at the front. Gave my uncle a call who knows a bit about cars and after advising that if I could try and hook it up under the front spoiler then I should make it home ok as long as I kept the speed down, he then immediately said "Haven't had it in for a service lately have you?" He said he'd heard of this happening to cars before after they have been in to a garage, the mechanic doesn't screw the panel back on correct after having it off and then with the forces created when driving, wind gets in beneath and whips it off!

Before I call up my local garage and start ranting, can anyone confirm that they would need to take that panel off to carry out a service? I assume so, but a second opinion would be nice...! Anyone else had the same problem?

GCA3N
30th January 2011, 06:59 PM
Never heard of this but wouldn't be surprised, my garage never replaced an inspection cover on it's first visit.

Mon the fish
31st January 2011, 08:31 AM
If you can't see the sump plug from under the car, they would need to take it off to drain the oil