PDA

View Full Version : LED side lights. Replacing bulbs.

AndyP & Lenore
26th January 2011, 10:24 PM
One of our led side lights has blown so I got a set of replacements from Mikey. Never changed them before as I think the Mini pit stop crew fitted them for me when the car was pretty new.

Any tips on changing them? R56 Cooper S.

All advice appreciated. :thumbs up:

A. :D

GCA3N
26th January 2011, 10:36 PM
One of our led side lights has blown so I got a set of replacements from Mikey. Never changed them before as I think the Mini pit stop crew fitted them for me when the car was pretty new.

Any tips on changing them? R56 Cooper S.

All advice appreciated. :thumbs up:

Turn the wheel full lock Andy turn it to the right for access to the left bulb and to the left for the right side bulb.

There is a cover on the wheel arch liner that just needs rotated anti clockwise. This let's you access the holder. I hope you have small hands as you reach in you can feel the holder ( bit at the end of the wire ;)). This should rotate about 90 degs I think again it's anti clockwise. The problem is it can be very stiff so you might scrape knuckles here. Once it's rotated 90deg pull out replace bulb and that's you. Obviously opposite way to put it back.

I'll tell you this though it can be a bugger getting the holder out and back in if you've not done it before.

Best of luck.

Scottie
26th January 2011, 10:38 PM
mind there is a thick side and a thin side to lugs on the holder watch which is which side when taking them out and put them back in the same way.

AndyP & Lenore
26th January 2011, 11:30 PM
Cheers for the info guys. Having a go at it tomorrow so will let u know how I get on.

Burple
27th January 2011, 11:33 AM
Cheers for the info guys. Having a go at it tomorrow so will let u know how I get on.

Be slow and steady when you're pulling the holders out... it the bulbs are not properly secure, you might want to have a pair of tweezers on hand to retrieve the bulb out of the light holder... :ragin::ragin::ragin: :laugh::laugh:

AndyP & Lenore
27th January 2011, 02:36 PM
Cheers for the help everyone. Got the bulbs changed just now. Pretty easy as it happens. Although I did spend 5 mins trying to figure out how greig got the wheel directions wrong way round. It's turn to the right for the right and left for the left.

Not too keen on how blue they seem. Will see if they mellow or if they are different at nighttime. Not sure the plod will be happy with them either. Hmmmm.

A.

GCA3N
27th January 2011, 04:56 PM
Cheers for the help everyone. Got the bulbs changed just now. Pretty easy as it happens. Although I did spend 5 mins trying to figure out how greig got the wheel directions wrong way round. It's turn to the right for the right and left for the left.

Not too keen on how blue they seem. Will see if they mellow or if they are different at nighttime. Not sure the plod will be happy with them either. Hmmmm.

A.
Doh, I actually typed it the other way round, then thought no it's the other way round, sorry.

Burple
27th January 2011, 05:09 PM
Oh Oh.... He's modded his car himself....

Is the world ready for this?? :laugh::thumbs up::cool::p

AndyP & Lenore
27th January 2011, 10:33 PM
Oh Oh.... He's modded his car himself....

Is the world ready for this?? :laugh::thumbs up::cool::p

Pmsl. Let's just say Lenore is stunned I didn't storm into the house, throwing tools around swearing that it can't be done and would need to go to a garage.

And I'm well chugged I managed to do some mod ding all on my own, without my hand being held, or me looking over someones shoulder pretending to be interested in how it's done.

Thanks again everyone.

AndyP & Lenore
27th January 2011, 10:37 PM
Doh, I actually typed it the other way round, then thought no it's the other way round, sorry.

Lol. No bother mate. Was actually quite funny, turning the wheels the way you first said, then with me trying to get the wee housing off with the wheel quite obviously in the frikking way. Took me a couple of minutes to figure out "that can't be right". Lol

Burple
28th January 2011, 10:28 AM
Pmsl. Let's just say Lenore is stunned I didn't storm into the house, throwing tools around swearing that it can't be done and would need to go to a garage.

And I'm well chugged I managed to do some mod ding all on my own, without my hand being held, or me looking over someones shoulder pretending to be interested in how it's done.

Thanks again everyone.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Good job! So... next? Changing wiper blades?

<runs> :laugh::laugh:

Gismo
28th January 2011, 04:00 PM
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

<runs> :laugh::laugh:Or maybe topping up the washer bottle :Whistle:

AndyP & Lenore
28th January 2011, 11:46 PM

<runs> :laugh::laugh:

Or maybe topping up the washer bottle :Whistle:

Don't be ridiculous. Both well beyond my skill level. :D

A.

Craig
29th January 2011, 12:44 AM
Don't be ridiculous. Both well beyond my skill level. :D

A.

Don't I know ;) :lol:

Stewart
29th January 2011, 01:07 AM
Well Done! Wiper blades and aerials and thats about it with me so I know what its like.

zimbo
29th January 2011, 10:53 AM
Well done MrP everyones gotta start somewhere :clap: :yes nod:

So is it worth getting these bulbs then? just that I fancy some but not seen any on any cars yet so dont know what they're like in the flesh... and how much are they? :Whistle:

AndyP & Lenore
29th January 2011, 12:02 PM
Ally the bulbs were a tenner so not too much cash. Whether they are worth getting depends on what your looking for. since the mini was new we changed the stock bulbs for whiter ones, and I thought they were led. But it turns out they weren't, they were normal bulbs which gave a whiter glow than the stock ones which look very yellow IMHO. However, these side lights look very blue to me and I'm just waiting on the plod pulling me over for illegal sidelights. So I may get some replacement bulbs ready to go in just in case I'm pulled. Lenore doesnt think they look bad enough for us to be pulled over, and I have to admit I've seen some bloody awful bright blue bulbs in cars and they never seem to get pulled over so I guess I may be worrying about nothing. I doubt I would pass an mot with these bulbs in. To be honest the exercise was intended to match the bright White colour of the xenons in the headlights, but they are nit even close. They look more like the blue colour of the cheap aftermarket xenons you can buy.

I'll try and take some piccies of the car tonight or tomorrow night and post up.

A.