PDA

View Full Version : Craig

Flash_Amber
22nd January 2011, 05:37 PM
At Stratstone in Perth this afternoon. (Thinking about buying a Landrover?)

Crombers
22nd January 2011, 06:15 PM
At Stratstone in Perth this afternoon. (Thinking about buying a Landrover?)

:thud:

Big Gordy
22nd January 2011, 06:32 PM
Come on the weathers not been that bad :idunno::Whistle::moonie:

Scottie
22nd January 2011, 07:09 PM
He will have walked over from the Mini garage after placing his order on a new JCW......... just to pass some time and have a wee look round he'll not leave Mini.

Craig
22nd January 2011, 07:15 PM
Eh, couldn't have been me.....:rolleyes:

well actually it was me.... :thud:

and Fi - I am going to be MINI-less shortly.... :argh:

kinda too sad to talk about it at the mo, but lets say, family comes first and the MINI is the oldest and most expensive to run in the fleet, therefore it has to go to pay for a 4x4 for the family. :frown:

hey ho, I can always get another MINI some time in the future...:yes nod:

Anyone wanna buy my MINI, cos if it was to go to an enthusiast, it would make the pain a bit less...:thumbs up:

Scottie
22nd January 2011, 07:23 PM
sorry to read this Craig but surely a 4x4 will be more costly to run than your mini. What about the countryman.. Although the I can say the new Kia sportage is very nice.....

Eh, couldn't have been me.....:rolleyes:

well actually it was me.... :thud:

and Fi - I am going to be MINI-less shortly.... :argh:

kinda too sad to talk about it at the mo, but lets say, family comes first and the MINI is the oldest and most expensive to run in the fleet, therefore it has to go to pay for a 4x4 for the family. :frown:

hey ho, I can always get another MINI some time in the future...:yes nod:

Anyone wanna buy my MINI, cos if it was to go to an enthusiast, it would make the pain a bit less...:thumbs up:

Craig
22nd January 2011, 07:39 PM
sorry to read this Craig but surely a 4x4 will be more costly to run than your mini. What about the countryman.. Although the I can say the new Kia sportage is very nice.....

its not the cost of just running it (although the 4x4 will have cheaper tax and much better mpg) its the fact we need a car to get up and down to the lodge in any weathers with 4 people and luggage, plus in the bad weather all of us MUST get to work and I MUST be able to get to mum. its partially a security thing and a necessity thing ;)

N16SHP
22nd January 2011, 10:20 PM
its not the cost of just running it (although the 4x4 will have cheaper tax and much better mpg) its the fact we need a car to get up and down to the lodge in any weathers with 4 people and luggage, plus in the bad weather all of us MUST get to work and I MUST be able to get to mum. its partially a security thing and a necessity thing ;)

I can sympathize with that. In the bad weather, I went and visited several 4x4 garages purely because I was stranded and couldn't get to Uni, or work without a major plan or effort. But in reality, the bad weather is only around 2 - 3 of the 52 weeks of the year!

Gismo
22nd January 2011, 10:23 PM
I think you'd be cheaper hiring a 4 x 4 for the 2 to 3 weeks a year you'd need it :Whistle:

The Dogfather
22nd January 2011, 10:41 PM
I thought about a 4x4 then realised that for the small amount of time I'd actually need it a normal car, winter tyres and a snow shovel I would manage to get through anything.

From what I've seen most real 4x4s are a liability on ice so I'd rather have something light and nimble.

Craig
22nd January 2011, 10:42 PM
easy to say guys, but very different in reality. :yes nod:

did you try and hire a 4x4 during the bad weather...... and with 1 hours notice? I don't think so :rolleyes:

Craig
22nd January 2011, 10:45 PM
also, this isn't something that has just come about, it's been something thats been thought about for months.... did you think I would let my mini go without checking out ALL the options :confused: :thud:

The Dogfather
23rd January 2011, 01:02 AM
Craig, why not a Countryman?

I'm not trying to talk you out of your decision but just wondering why you didn't entertain one......

Neil - TXJ
23rd January 2011, 01:17 AM
Hi Craig. I am not sure what is in your shortlist but recently got a Peugeot 4007 and really happy with it. Not the most attractive car but very practical. It being a Peugeot put me off initially but it is a Mitsubushi underneath but considerably cheaper second hand.

Good look with finding something that works for you.

Stewart
23rd January 2011, 01:37 AM
Sad to read the Works is on the way out but not total surprise considering the job lot of bits for sale. I nearly bought a far more expensive than my Mini a Honda 4x4 a few months before I settled for my wee car. I had everyone’s best interest before my own. Did I want a CRV, not my first choice but thought it would be high enough for my mother to get in and out easy.

It all comes down to what you really need at this time, the back seats gets used once or twice a month and as long as my mum could get in and out the front and there was room for a small case in the boot I knew I could get away with it. But it is a compromise having a mini that’s for sure.
Friend is looking at All4 Audi’s just now, it has a nice bit of power and speed and cant take four and there stuff.

My friend just got her Countryman All4 S and although when see ordered it she picked chocolate brown and silver roof with black wheels I was a bit worried. But it’s a seriously impressive bit of kit and actually the Colours work.

Craig
23rd January 2011, 07:53 AM
Craig, why not a Countryman?

I'm not trying to talk you out of your decision but just wondering why you didn't entertain one......

Not big enough Paul. Has to fit 4 adults up to my size and luggage, it can barely do 3....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mini Ecosse
23rd January 2011, 08:56 AM
Hi Craig,

I fully understand where you are coming from, especially from the family point of view.

We are also looking at the 4x4 option at the moment, not going to rush into changing at the moment, probably later in the year.
(FL2 & X3 in sights at moment)

Craig
23rd January 2011, 09:42 AM
Hi Craig,

I fully understand where you are coming from, especially from the family point of view.

We are also looking at the 4x4 option at the moment, not going to rush into changing at the moment, probably later in the year.

Thanks Stephen, more understanding than some :rolleyes:

I'm not I'n a great rush but would like it sorted before July when tax, mot and insurance are required on the mini ;). Just taking all the parts of I'n case a great deal is just around the corner....

AndyP & Lenore
23rd January 2011, 10:37 AM

Stephen, FL2 gets my vote. The new X3 is a nice vehicle, but our FL2 was a "go anywhere" car this winter, without having to change any tyres.

Thanks Stephen, more understanding than some :rolleyes:

I'm not I'n a great rush but would like it sorted before July when tax, mot and insurance are required on the mini ;). Just taking all the parts of I'n case a great deal is just around the corner....

Like I said on Friday night dude, you gotta do what you gotta do. Putting it off to the end of the year gets you another year of MINI Runs to go on, but I understand the reasons for changing, and the reasons for changing sooner rather than later.

A.

The Dogfather
23rd January 2011, 10:51 AM
If you're working on a budget then the Yeti would be top of my list, huge boot and great reviews on being fun to drive. Being a Skoda it'll be a damn sight more reliable than a Landrover.

I do really like these (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201103377467733/sort/priceasc/usedcars/model/superb/make/skoda/radius/1501/keywords/4x4/page/1/postcode/dh70el?logcode=p), if you can get away without the ground clearance then these have to be the roomiest cars on the market.

AeroJonny
23rd January 2011, 01:49 PM
If you're working on a budget then the Yeti would be top of my list, huge boot and great reviews on being fun to drive. Being a Skoda it'll be a damn sight more reliable than a Landrover.

I do really like these (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201103377467733/sort/priceasc/usedcars/model/superb/make/skoda/radius/1501/keywords/4x4/page/1/postcode/dh70el?logcode=p), if you can get away without the ground clearance then these have to be the roomiest cars on the market.

I've got a mate who works for VAG and she loves the Yeti, used one of their pool cars to go to music festivals all through the summer, 4 adults, camping gear and all without a hitch! Sorry to hear you're changing Craig, you won't be short of offers to join in on runs!

Craig
23rd January 2011, 01:51 PM
I've got a mate who works for VAG and she loves the Yeti, used one of their pool cars to go to music festivals all through the summer, 4 adults, camping gear and all without a hitch! Sorry to hear you're changing Craig, you won't be short of offers to join in on runs!

thanks for the info Jonny - and the support ;)

Crombers
23rd January 2011, 02:48 PM
Bad dream I just had there, must be this nightshift mode!!

MrD in a 4x4 shop, I mean whatever next, sheesh!!!!! , thought I was in denial there for a moment

Never mind must roll over for another 40 winks, ahhhhhh

AndyP & Lenore
23rd January 2011, 05:34 PM
Paul, we're on our 3rd year of owning 2 different LR FL2's and we've had a helluva lot less problems with these cars than the mini's.

A.

Scottie
23rd January 2011, 05:48 PM
This would be my choice with AWD.

http://www.kia.co.uk/New-Cars/Range/SUVs/New-Sportage/a-bit-more-adventurous.aspx?utm_campaign=Sportage.&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=kia_sportage&gclid=CPPOrazj0KYCFYVjfAoduQj1Mw

took a test drive recently in the following vehicles and it gets my vote with a decent spec out of the lot.

1. the new Mits thingy
2. FL2
3. Q5
4. Tig
5. Kuga
5. Sportage

The Dogfather
23rd January 2011, 05:58 PM
Paul, we're on our 3rd year of owning 2 different LR FL2's and we've had a helluva lot less problems with these cars than the mini's.

A.

MINIs are very poor for problems........

I'm seriously considering an Alfa, it can't be much worse ;)

Scottie
23rd January 2011, 06:03 PM
I hope this won't bite me on the bum... but I've had hardly any problems with any of my Minis

GCA3N
23rd January 2011, 06:08 PM
I'm seriously considering an Alfa, it can't be much worse ;)
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Big Gordy
23rd January 2011, 06:26 PM
I hope this won't bite me on the bum... but I've had hardly any problems with any of my Minis

You never keep them long enough woman :ragin:
Only problem I've had is two offside rear calipers after only 20k :frown:

Scottie
23rd January 2011, 06:34 PM
that was true but my last 3 have been kept 18 months at a time.LOL

You never keep them long enough woman :ragin:
Only problem I've had is two offside rear calipers after only 20k :frown:

Craig
23rd January 2011, 07:13 PM
Well, just so you all know and I do value your opinion here guys as I've know a lot of you for about 7-8 years now, the short list is.....

1 - CRV
2 - Kuga
3 - Yeti (maybe, I need to see it in the flesh first....)

The FL2 is out of the equation as it's FAR too expensive on my budget... I am looking at PCH as I want no hassle for 3 years and as low monthly outgoing as possible. Not really concerned that I dont own it, tbh I've lost money on the last 5 cars at sale time, so handing it back will work out cheaper ! :lol: The first 2 are about the same money, the Yeti being a bit cheaper... From the pics is looks a bit like a Fiat Doblo, but I will reserve judgement til I see one in the flesh. It does get good reviews, even from customers, so it can't be bad.. ;)

Scottie
23rd January 2011, 07:25 PM
a friend of ours has the Yeti and rate it very high. What about a Grand Vitara.?

Is the CRV an AWD

This may be a dumb question but what is PCH??

Craig
23rd January 2011, 07:30 PM
a friend of ours has the Yeti and rate it very high. What about a Grand Vitara.?

Is the CRV an AWD

This may be a dumb question but what is PCH??

the CRV is like the Kuga and is intelligent 4WD, meaning the traction control notices the wheels slipping and sends power to the other wheels. Essentially they both run FWD for the vast majority of time helping MPG and tyre wear ;)

Not a big fan of the Suzuki's tbh

PCH is Personal Contract Hire

GCA3N
23rd January 2011, 07:30 PM
Well, just so you all know and I do value your opinion here guys as I've know a lot of you for about 7-8 years now, the short list is.....

1 - CRV
2 - Kuga

The FL2 is out of the equation as it's FAR too expensive on my budget... I am looking at PCH as I want no hassle for 3 years and as low monthly outgoing as possible. Not really concerned that I dont own it, tbh I've lost money on the last 5 cars at sale time, so handing it back will work out cheaper ! :lol: The first 2 are about the same money, the Yeti being a bit cheaper... From the pics is looks a bit like a Fiat Doblo, but I will reserve judgement til I see one in the flesh. It does get good reviews, even from customers, so it can't be bad.. ;)

CRV all the way and the biggest reason is I have had 3 Honda's Craig and they are super reliable mate. Plus the CRV look really nice too.

I have my HRV for over 3 years now and it hasn't missed a beat. My civic was the same 90000 miles and not a single thing wrong with it, and I mean nowt. Even at the end it lay in the drive for 6 months (SORN) and the day I sold it, it started first time.

Craig
23rd January 2011, 07:32 PM
CRV all the way and the biggest reason is I have had 3 Honda's Craig and they are super reliable mate. Plus the CRV look really nice too.

I have my HRV for over 3 years now and it hasn't missed a beat. My civic was the same 90000 miles and not a single thing wrong with it, and I mean nowt. Even at the end it lay in the drive for 6 months (SORN) and the day I sold it, it started first time.

Yeah, judes last Civic she had for 2 and half years and it never missed a beat (apart from drinking oil, but they all do that apparently) and it was only in the garage once for a recall they requested! ;) (never get MINI doing that now would you ! :thud:)

Scottie
23rd January 2011, 07:35 PM
I was told that not all Kugas were 4WD more were 2WD and that was at the Macrae and Dick.. just shows what they know..LOL

can't really go wrong with any 4x4 in my book but I would be waiting until March if buying used as the 4x4 market is typically at their high price this time of year.

the CRV is like the Kuga and is intelligent 4WD, meaning the traction control notices the wheels slipping and sends power to the other wheels. Essentially they both run FWD for the vast majority of time helping MPG and tyre wear ;)

Not a big fan of the Suzuki's tbh

PCH is Personal Contract Hire

GCA3N
23rd January 2011, 07:43 PM
Yeah, judes last Civic she had for 2 and half years and it never missed a beat (apart from drinking oil, but they all do that apparently) and it was only in the garage once for a recall they requested! ;) (never get MINI doing that now would you ! :thud:)

Mini, bad service, never heard of it before.:rolleyes:;)

Craig
23rd January 2011, 07:49 PM
I was told that not all Kugas were 4WD more were 2WD and that was at the Macrae and Dick.. just shows what they know..LOL

can't really go wrong with any 4x4 in my book but I would be waiting until March if buying used as the 4x4 market is typically at their high price this time of year.

They were right, but I would only be looking at the 4wd ones ;)

gauldrymini
23rd January 2011, 07:52 PM
...well Craig as you say you got to do what you gotta do, if your current car (MINI) doesn't "tick all the boxes" for your requirements. :yes nod:

CRV is a decent machine there were 2 at my work both were in and out of tattie field no bother!

Yeti, an interesting machine but probably not to all tastes...

I am sure you will make the right call when the time comes.

Andrew

Mini Ecosse
23rd January 2011, 07:58 PM

1 - CRV
2 - Kuga

Kuga to be replaced with VERTREK next year.

GCA3N
23rd January 2011, 10:39 PM
I guess after tonights topgear Craig you'll need to get the yeti.

Craig
23rd January 2011, 10:47 PM
Not sure about that Greig .... I need to see it first, but I think it's too van like for me ;)

GCA3N
23rd January 2011, 10:57 PM
Not sure about that Greig .... I need to see it first, but I think it's too van like for me ;)

It's not as pretty as the Honda but it appears to be some car.

kerrbryan
24th January 2011, 03:00 PM
Ive just returned a civic that was on PCH, I used a company that I found online yourfleet.co.uk
They were helful and informative... oh and matched the best deal I could find at the time.

Craig
24th January 2011, 04:27 PM
Ive just returned a civic that was on PCH, I used a company that I found online yourfleet.co.uk
They were helful and informative... oh and matched the best deal I could find at the time.

Cheers for the info ;)

ianking
24th January 2011, 07:10 PM
My Grandad has a 2009 FL2 TD that he got brand new. He doesnt do very many miles and in the time he has had it its been back to the garage for quite a number of things.
My mum has a 2008 CRV 2.2TD that now has about 40k which she got brand new as well and its only ever been back to the garage for a routing service.
I used it a couple times in the deep snow and even with the 20 inch rims and low profile tyres it went no probs.

Craig
24th January 2011, 07:14 PM
My Grandad has a 2009 FL2 TD that he got brand new. He doesnt do very many miles and in the time he has had it its been back to the garage for quite a number of things.
My mum has a 2008 CRV 2.2TD that now has about 40k which she got brand new as well and its only ever been back to the garage for a routing service.
I used it a couple times in the deep snow and even with the 20 inch rims and low profile tyres it went no probs.

Cheers Ian, more food for thought ;)

weefossy
24th January 2011, 09:16 PM
Craig, really sorry to hear that you are losing your mini. I loved that car especially the colour.
IMHO on a buget, it's got to be the Honda. I had several Honda's and never had a problem, even although I did high mileage. Neil had a PCH on his Type R and when the kids came along he handed it back with no problems. Better than I imagined.

I know someone who has 2 minis so you won't be stuck for a drive, but you may have to go "topless" to keep Sioban happy