PDA

View Full Version : Front strut braces

Hogman
21st January 2011, 12:44 PM
OK I have been looking into getting front strut braces (upper and lower) for my R53 JCW, there are lots of options out there and every company seems to be selling their own version which all make claims at being the best blah blah blah

So guys n gals, which braces should I go for? Best value for money.

I have been offered a good deal for OMP top and bottom brace at £100, are these any good, also read that these require a fair bit of work to fit under the bonnet, is that still the case?

What about other makes?

Help and advice appreciated :thumbs up:
Cheers
Kevin

Craig
21st January 2011, 01:02 PM
I had omp upper and lower on my jcw (well the lower is still on atm) and had no issues with fitting or clearances ;)

The lower one us great value. The top ones do very little but at that price it's worth it ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon the fish
21st January 2011, 02:26 PM
The lower one makes by far the biggest difference. The only reason you may have issues with the OMP upper is if your strut towers have mushroomed slightly (fairly common)

Another worth investigating is the GTT mid brace, made a difference on my car

Hogman
23rd January 2011, 10:59 PM
Thanks guys, I had read that the OMP upper brace rubbed on the bonnet and the bonnet sound proofing had to be removed? Is this not the case now, were these early ones?

I might as well go ahead and get the twin OMP ones ordered and tried out, I will look into the mid brace too.

Whats fitting the front braces like?

Cheers
Kevin

Mon the fish
25th January 2011, 08:13 AM
The OMP upper can rub, depends on the condition of your strut towers. Fitting is so easy; undo nuts, apply brace, re-tighten nuts. Same for both lower and upper.

sav1903
25th January 2011, 01:31 PM
i have the GTT top brace and OMP lower brace, both really easy to fit

but as craig said go for it for that price, i was 60 for the lower and wait for it ....200 for the upper!!:blush: