PDA

View Full Version : Dilema, what to do

kerrbryan
19th January 2011, 09:09 PM
Pickd up our 57 MINI R56 S 2 weeks ago and as you may have read in the gallery I am very pleased with it.....

apart from the BBS Split rim wheels. Around the polished rim, on all four alloys there is quite bad corrosion.

So, warranty expired september 29th 2010 but I thought I'd chance my luck anyway ;) and approached Harry Fairbairn MINI, Irvine. They viewed the wheels and agreed about the corrosion but as they were slight kerbing on two of the wheels and the expired warranty they had to approach MINI for a good will gesture.

Anyway, today I call and chase it up, few hours later get the call!

Wont replace them :sad: ...but will cover 80% of the cost to buy the same alloys, which cost 1200 +VAT approx (no tyres), so I would pay 220 +VAT, 265 + fitting at 10 pound a corner.

What to do:

A: Can i keep the old alloys? (Going to call and ask in the morning)
Then refurb and sell or refurb gloss black and use in summer! :laugh:
(Afterall Im getting parts, although at a discount, so dont see why I cant keep them. I know they usually destroy the old ones if replaced in warranty.)

B: If cant keep existing alloys, get them anyway but see if I can get a bit more off!

C: Just refurb the current alloys and see if MINI will contribute.

What to do, any ideas or suggestions or even past experiences with the wheels or MINI.:confused:

Stewart
19th January 2011, 09:43 PM
If it was me, the wheels would just annoy me.
Comes down to Cost of a refurb v brand new and I'd pay that wee bit more for new and being happy.
My car came with three spotless wheels and a refurb and it was only when I got the car home I thought what is with this Alloy it's crap looking. went back got a new tyre and alloy in a swap for free as they wanted me to be happy with the car.

Option A for me! and sell on refurbed!

euan
19th January 2011, 09:47 PM
The split rims don't refurb well, I had the same issue on mine and the only way to deal with it was to have them polished on the outer rim which looked rubbish.

Personally, I'd get the new ones and keep the old ones too, after all you still own them ;-)

kerrbryan
19th January 2011, 09:57 PM
The split rims don't refurb well, I had the same issue on mine and the only way to deal with it was to have them polished on the outer rim which looked rubbish.

Personally, I'd get the new ones and keep the old ones too, after all you still own them ;-)

Do they not have a polished rim anyway? Although not highly polished, i.e chrome. Definitely a different finish to the centre anyway

kerrbryan
19th January 2011, 09:58 PM
If it was me, the wheels would just annoy me.
Comes down to Cost of a refurb v brand new and I'd pay that wee bit more for new and being happy.
My car came with three spotless wheels and a refurb and it was only when I got the car home I thought what is with this Alloy it's crap looking. went back got a new tyre and alloy in a swap for free as they wanted me to be happy with the car.

Thats what im thinking, although the gloss black spare set appeals to me! lol :)
Option A for me! and sell on refurbed!

Thats what im thinking, although the gloss black spare set appeals to me! lol :)

N16SHP
19th January 2011, 10:04 PM
If you can keep the damaged set then I'd say get the new ones. That way you maybe pay a bit, but you end up with two sets of rims, one for summer and one for winter!

Craig
19th January 2011, 10:08 PM
If you can keep the damaged set then I'd say get the new ones. That way you maybe pay a bit, but you end up with two sets of rims, one for summer and one for winter!

that would be my plan, and if you want the bad ones to look better for the winter, just get them all powdercoated (ie loosing the polished bit) and you'll have good wheels for winter and summer ;)

euan
19th January 2011, 10:11 PM
Are these the wheels you have?

http://www.mini2.com/galleries/data/500/240.JPG

RobSco
19th January 2011, 11:35 PM
Not a Hard Question to Answer - Brand New Wheels - You would be paying just over £300 for a Brand New Set of 4 and not a mark on them... :thumbs up:

You could pay this to get them refurbished but would you be Happy with the result...

Buy One Get Three Free... :yes nod:

kerrbryan
19th January 2011, 11:58 PM
No these

Craig
20th January 2011, 12:00 AM
No these

ahhh.. Web spokes.. Nice wheels.. ;)

Gismo
20th January 2011, 12:08 AM
Get the new ones, that will also give you warranty on the wheels assuming you don't kerb them in the future

kerrbryan
20th January 2011, 12:08 AM
ahhh.. Web spokes.. Nice wheels.. ;)

Pain in the arse to clean ...oh and are the worst for corrosion according to my MINI dealer apparently

kerrbryan
20th January 2011, 12:09 AM
Get the new ones, that will also give you warranty on the wheels assuming you don't kerb them in the future

Is it 2 years?

Stewart
20th January 2011, 12:14 AM
Have to say these are my favourite mini wheels but I’ve read too many times they are a nightmare to clean and corrosion etc.

kerrbryan
20th January 2011, 12:22 AM
Have to say these are my favourite mini wheels but I’ve read too many times they are a nightmare to clean and corrosion etc.

Something to do with the cheap lacquer that is used these days for mass production. Old VW split rims lasted forever. If/when i get the new ones I will be giving them a good few coats of the best stuff i can find.

kerrbryan
20th January 2011, 09:16 PM
MINI wont let me keep the old set, have to be destroyed.

So 310 fitted for the new ones (and I have to get them fitted by them as part of the deal)

Phoned RMC in prestwick, anyone dealt with them? He will refurd the rim part on all wheels for 25 a corner.

So 310 for a new set that will corrode again in a year or so with NO warranty or refurb current ones.:confused:

GCA3N
20th January 2011, 09:42 PM
MINI wont let me keep the old set, have to be destroyed.

So 310 fitted for the new ones (and I have to get them fitted by them as part of the deal)

Phoned RMC in prestwick, anyone dealt with them? He will refurd the rim part on all wheels for 25 a corner.

So 310 for a new set that will corrode again in a year or so with NO warranty or refurb current ones.:confused:

I went there once they get a great rep there.

kerrbryan
20th January 2011, 09:43 PM
I went there once they get a great rep there.

Would you go for the refurb then mate?

euan
20th January 2011, 10:45 PM

Double check the finish he'll do on them - you may not get the same look. He may be able to, but just check. Me - I'd want the new rims.

And I'd be asking Mini for proof they were destroyed, but maybe that's just me not trusting car dealers ;-)