PDA

View Full Version : Braided hose recommendations

Big Gordy
18th January 2011, 09:54 AM
OK I'm having some 'issues' with the brakes on our ONE:rolleyes: They work OK but seem a bit 'soft' for my liking (compaired to the Audis they're terrible:frown:)
First thing I'm going to try is some braided hoses. So where do you guys recommend I buy them from:confused:
If this doesn't improve things I'm toying with buying Elfmans R56 setup:p
Does the R56 set-up DEFINATELY fit on an R50/53:confused: This is a must know before I even think about going into negotiations with the missus about it:argh: (evens shes commented on the brakes:thud::lol:)

Cheers guys...your thoughts on the subject are welcome:thumbs up:

Forbes
18th January 2011, 12:02 PM
Best bet is to speak to 1320mini or Coastal. I know both have done it a good few times and both are will to help/chat with you to let you know what you need

Big Gordy
18th January 2011, 12:56 PM
Cheers Forbes:thumbs up:
Yoohoo 1320mini or Coastal where are you.....:Whistle:

Gismo
18th January 2011, 02:22 PM
If your desription is right, then i doubt braided hoses will achieve the result you are looking for and i'm in no way trying to take any sales away from the companies mentioned.
Jack one side up at a time starting at the front and carefully, with the engine running get someone to apply the brakes and see and feel if the hose is flexing, for your symptons there must be some kind of internal damage to allow expansion in a hose.
Initially i'd replace the brake fluid with at least Dot 5.1 and go from there

Buy the Elfman's brake setup :thumbs up:

Mon the fish
18th January 2011, 02:39 PM
R56 setup will fit depending on your wheels. Put in some decent fluid, and uprated pads, and it's all you'll need

stoney
18th January 2011, 03:17 PM
Yes the r56 set up will fit it is the r53 jcw set up just need the hoses and u can get them off the dealers or eBay or any good car performance shop ;)

Big Gordy
18th January 2011, 04:22 PM
If your desription is right, then i doubt braided hoses will achieve the result you are looking for

Exactly what I was thinking Alan:thumbs up:

Jack one side up at a time starting at the front and carefully, with the engine running get someone to apply the brakes and see and feel if the hose is flexing, for your symptons there must be some kind of internal damage to allow expansion in a hose.
Initially i'd replace the brake fluid with at least Dot 5.1 and go from there

They work fine it's just I feel they have too much travel at the pedal before they start to work for my liking. I've had them checked out and nothing seems to be amiss with them:frown:

Buy the Elfman's brake setup :thumbs up:

That's where I'm trying to get to:rolleyes:

Big Gordy
18th January 2011, 04:24 PM
R56 setup will fit depending on your wheels.

Well I run 15" OEM alloys in the winter and 17" OEM / 18" Kei alloys in the summer:confused:

Craig
18th January 2011, 04:35 PM
Well I run 15" OEM alloys in the winter and 17" OEM / 18" Kei alloys in the summer:confused:

Think 16"s are the smallest you can get away with :frown:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forbes
18th January 2011, 04:42 PM
Sorry. I misread I thought you meant braided hoses as you were going to buy Elfman's brakes.

As said the hoses alone will make only a tiny difference, but thats with uprated brake fluid. To have any noticed improvement you would to change the discs and pads and then you might aswell just buy Elfmans OEM upgrade.

Big Gordy
18th January 2011, 05:13 PM
This is all good ammo guys :thumbs up:

Mon the fish
19th January 2011, 08:10 AM
15" OEM wheels will not clear R56 S brakes, and not all 16" will either. Also check what brake hoses you need - think the R56 may have a different fitment at the caliper, so you may need R56 hoses

ELFMAN
19th January 2011, 09:15 AM
Gordy, you're welcome to take the R56 Brakes on a 'trial basis' to see if they a. Fit and b. Do the business. Let me know - they're just sitting there doing nothing!

Big Gordy
19th January 2011, 10:35 AM
Wow what a kind offer :clap:I may take you up on that wee man :thumbs up:

ELFMAN
19th January 2011, 12:14 PM
No problem Gordy - give me a shout when you've had a think about it.

Big Gordy
19th January 2011, 12:28 PM
I'm in "protracted negotiations" so I'll let you know:thumbs up:
Certainly sounds like a plan tho:yes nod:

ELFMAN
19th January 2011, 12:56 PM
I'm just keen to see them getting put to use rather than sitting in a box!

Big Gordy
19th January 2011, 02:44 PM
Where abouts are you again?? Hamilton was it??
I work in Hillington now so we could maybe organise something:thumbs up:

DOH...just read your avatar...Larkhall...sheeesh!

ELFMAN
19th January 2011, 04:31 PM
'DOH' Indeed Gordy. I work in Hamilton though...

Big Gordy
19th January 2011, 04:43 PM
Suppose we could get Stoney to be the middle man as he seems to rove about the country :p

Craig
19th January 2011, 05:46 PM
I could be the courier from stoneys run ;) and pass them on and give you your mirror caps and collect the scaletrix ;)

stoney
19th January 2011, 05:56 PM
Suppose we could get Stoney to be the middle man as he seems to rove about the country :p

I could be the courier from stoneys run ;) and pass them on and give you your mirror caps and collect the scaletrix ;)

now that sounds like a good plan

but would be happy to help :thumbs up:

ELFMAN
20th January 2011, 09:54 AM
Gordy, if that's OK, I'll bring them along to Stoney's run and give them to Craig.

NMS Teamwork - Ye Canny Whack It! :thumbs up:

Big Gordy
20th January 2011, 12:53 PM
Gordy, if that's OK, I'll bring them along to Stoney's run and give them to Craig

Smashing :thumbs up:

Big Gordy
21st January 2011, 09:23 AM
This looks like its a no-goer guys:frown:
I'm meeting with stiff resistance to changing them:ragin:
I quote "there's nothing wrong with the brakes on the car" In my experience you are never going to win against a statement like that :sad:
But never fear I will keep trying:smilewinkgrin: You can't keep a good man down..what,what:thumbs up:

ELFMAN
21st January 2011, 09:34 AM
WIMP :smilewinkgrin: