PDA

View Full Version : Victim of the roads...

spobojob
17th January 2011, 07:10 PM
Hey ppl!

Had a slow puncture for the last week, took it to a tyre garage today and turns out it's not the tyre, it's the alloy...guy reckons I hit a pot hole and it has buckled the inside of the rim and there is air leaking out. It is pretty nasty looking, but he did a temporary fix with a tyre compound to hold the air until I see what I'm going to do!

The guy has suggested I write to the council and complain with photographs of the pothole in question and the wheel. To be honest, although I couldn't know for sure which pot hole it is, there is an absolutely horrendous one outside my parents house and I hit it quite nastly last week.

Anyway, my two questions are:

Has anyone ever tried to get the money for a new alloy back from the council and how did they get on?

Does anyone know where I could pick up a 17" flame alloy wheel at a reasonable price?

Cheers ppl!

Spobojob :sad:

Craig
17th January 2011, 07:37 PM
eBay for the wheel....

As for a claim, I got one replaced by Scottish water as it was them that had dug up the road and not put it back right and it had sunk. All done within 3 weeks. Never claimed against the council tho...

stoney
17th January 2011, 08:38 PM
i have and yes i got my mony after a bit of a fight but i got it all back for a wheel tyer and wishbone all in one go about £600 odd if i mind right just phone your local depo and ask for a claim form and take lots of pics of the pot hole and your wheel fill it in and send the photo with it and that should be you sorted ;thumbs up: and if they say no all you do is take it to a small claim court and they pay up :yes nod: but you need recipts for all work done that was cused bye the pot hole

MonsteR
17th January 2011, 08:46 PM
I hit a big one almost on the road to Penicuik (not sure of spelling) about a year ago in my scooby, split the front rim and ripped sidewall out the tyre and flattened the back wheel. was only doing about 45mph but the pothole must have been about 10 inches or more deep! Damaged the rear Hub also but couldnt prove that. In the end I managed to claim £400 from Midlothian Council. Point to note though, they take into consideration the age and mileage on tyres so if they are below legal limit or close to it they are less likely to cough up for the replacement tyres. as Stoney has said, Plenty of pics and you should get something back :)

GCA3N
17th January 2011, 10:42 PM
Once claimed from the council took 7 Months.

There are a number of wheel repairers in Scotland get it repaired, cheaper than a new wheel. Keep the bill and claim that back.

Seen this BTW, get this and get it sprayed or returned to it's original silver.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=flame+spoke+alloy&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Stewart
18th January 2011, 01:49 AM
Good luck, Roads are a disgrace here in Glasgow, I’m actually having to divert routes round roads I know are a mess and I’m not talking back roads but main roads. Today I was behind four cars and the first car slammed on brakes so we all come to a halt. Only when the path clears does it show a set of deep pot holes that you simply could not miss.

Glasgow roulette!

The council bangs on and on about being greener, well going out on a bike that’s suicide be it pedal or motor. I’m increasing my carbon foot print driving the long way round roads unfit for cars.

Hope you get it sorted, sorry soap box put away but I Think they can stuff those 2012 games and fix the roads………..

AndyP & Lenore
18th January 2011, 02:06 AM
Tried to claim from Scottish Borders council for a wrecked rim and tyre because of pot hole.

They claimed the road was surveyed 4 days earlier and it was fine then, so they weren't to know it was faulty so claim declined by their insurance company. I even got my solicitor chasing them and still they refused. Thought about small claims court but didn't have the energy - which is what they were probably counting on in the first place.

A.

ianking
18th January 2011, 09:25 AM
Andy
You should have asked them for the results of the roads inspection/survey through the freedom of information act. 'IF' the road was inspected there would be records to show this.

Also they fine well know that a road can appear fine then 4 days later there can be a crater in it if its winter time.

AndyP & Lenore
18th January 2011, 11:06 AM
Andy
You should have asked them for the results of the roads inspection/survey through the freedom of information act. 'IF' the road was inspected there would be records to show this.

Also they fine well know that a road can appear fine then 4 days later there can be a crater in it if its winter time.

Ian, you're right I should have asked for the report - not sure why I didn't ask.:confused::confused:

Their argument at the time was that if they hadn't been made aware of the pot hole they weren't responsible for it. My solicitor ripped shreds through that argument, but they insisted that was their position, and if we didn't like it "take us to court". I wish we had now. In actual fact they were aware of the pot hole because when I called to report it and ask for a claim form the lassie told ME where the pot hole was. Apparently another driver had called in an hour before me and reported it to them. They claimed that they can't possibly be expected to repair a pot hole within an hour, so they still weren't responsible.

A.

Delboy
18th January 2011, 04:54 PM
Good luck, Roads are a disgrace here in Glasgow, I’m actually having to divert routes round roads I know are a mess and I’m not talking back roads but main roads. Today I was behind four cars and the first car slammed on brakes so we all come to a halt. Only when the path clears does it show a set of deep pot holes that you simply could not miss.

Glasgow roulette!

The council bangs on and on about being greener, well going out on a bike that’s suicide be it pedal or motor. I’m increasing my carbon foot print driving the long way round roads unfit for cars.

Hope you get it sorted, sorry soap box put away but I Think they can stuff those 2012 games and fix the roads………..

Totally agree Stewart - the roads on the southside at least are as bad as I've ever seen them. I'm so pi$$ed off trying to dodge potholes (and not always successfully :argh:) that I'm seriously considering changing the car to a large 4x4. There is no fun in driving on these roads.

Back on topic, I successfully claimed Glasgow City Council a good number of years ago for a damaged alloy wheel after hitting a pothole. Took pictures and sent a letter, etc. I got some money back but not the full value of the wheel because their "legal team" assessed that I was 30% to blame for not driving with more care and avoiding the pothole :thud:.

stoney
18th January 2011, 05:49 PM
Totally agree Stewart - the roads on the southside at least are as bad as I've ever seen them. I'm so pi$$ed off trying to dodge potholes (and not always successfully :argh:) that I'm seriously considering changing the car to a large 4x4. There is no fun in driving on these roads.

Back on topic, I successfully claimed Glasgow City Council a good number of years ago for a damaged alloy wheel after hitting a pothole. Took pictures and sent a letter, etc. I got some money back but not the full value of the wheel because their "legal team" assessed that I was 30% to blame for not driving with more care and avoiding the pothole :thud:.

this is the reason i allways say that some thing was coming the other way so it was unavoidable :yes nod: i claimd off the inshurance compay that rents out my work unit cos there was a topper of a pot hold that bucked the wheel on my old s and they paid out no problem :thumbs up: so if you can find a pot hole in an ind est then phone the copmpany that rents them and aske for there details :thumbs up:

spobojob
18th January 2011, 11:08 PM
Thanks for all the posts! Found a really good website on the subject that talks you through a claim to your council and how to go about it all step by step, hope it helps others! I've started my long road to recovering my money today...will keep you posted on the outcome, although I fear it could be some months away yet!

http://www.potholes.co.uk

PS Cheers for the ebay link GCA3N...i'm already top bidder!!! Going down the ebay route first, followed by a £165 quote for a new alloy from my local mini dealership, thought that seemed almost reasonable, but saying that that's probably just because I've gotten used to their over the top prices, honestly...they'd charge you £30 for a mini air freshner if they thought they could get away with it!!!

minibob
23rd January 2011, 12:21 AM
Im feeling your pain i had my wheels refurbed in the summer i hit a hole well i think it was a repair in the road that had came up it was right across the outside lane on the a9 hit it at 70 and iv buckled all 4 of them :argh::argh: im totally pissed about it :sad::sad:

Stewart
23rd January 2011, 12:41 AM
What I try and do and I know it sounds "Grumpy old fart" but I report the fault to the roads department. There was a few seriously silly holes and I just sent them a email describing the fault and wording it politely and pointing out that they have now been made aware of the fault and it is a danger of not only damaging vehicles but could cause harm to individuals on bikes. Always try to get in the Health and Safety!
A few days later the two holes were patched with one totally resurfaced properly a few week later. It could save someone else a costly repair.

GCA3N
23rd January 2011, 12:37 PM
What I try and do and I know it sounds "Grumpy old fart" but I report the fault to the roads department. There was a few seriously silly holes and I just sent them a email describing the fault and wording it politely and pointing out that they have now been made aware of the fault and it is a danger of not only damaging vehicles but could cause harm to individuals on bikes. Always try to get in the Health and Safety!
A few days later the two holes were patched with one totally resurfaced properly a few week later. It could save someone else a costly repair.

Not enough people like u mate. Well done :thumbs up:

ELFMAN
24th January 2011, 01:31 PM
their "legal team" assessed that I was 30% to blame for not driving with more care and avoiding the pothole :thud:.
:laugh::laugh::laugh: That takes the biscuit!

BTW Well done Stewart :thumbs up: