PDA

View Full Version : Discs and pads

Fontal
20th July 2004, 05:42 PM
I have just bought a set of EBC drilled and groved front discs for the car, the dilema now is what type of pads to fit, I was thinking of EBC green stuff pads but what is the best?

Cheers Richard

Gismo
20th July 2004, 05:56 PM
Richard, define "best" what do you want your pads to achieve
Do you want stopping power or just cleaner wheels :question:

R7 ETH
20th July 2004, 06:00 PM
I have had EBC green stuff pads on every past car except for the Cooper (cause it doesnt need them yet) but they are a great pad, less brake dust. However they do take a while to heat up !!! a few scary moments when they are cold, but when they heat up they do bite really well. Had then mintex 1144's also but they are not a patch on the EBC's, however these are purely my opinions and am no expert in brakes whatsoever.:cool:

Fontal
20th July 2004, 06:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Richard, define "best" what do you want your pads to achieve
Do you want stopping power or just cleaner wheels :question:

Defo stopping power as I do quite a bit of 1/4 mile on short runways.

Gismo
20th July 2004, 07:18 PM
Well, go to the likes of mini spares and get the race pads, you gotta heat them up though as they are pretty crap first thing in the morning :)

Big Gordy
20th July 2004, 08:59 PM
I'm with you R7 ETH :approve: I've always replaced the standard pads with EBC green stuff (and the EBC discs when needed). Like you I tried the Mintex 1144 but found them so 'wooden' that I ditched them for the EBC's. If your needing big stopping power but don't want to change the discs then go for EBC red stuff pads which are a softer compound I think :p:D:approve:

Fontal
20th July 2004, 09:20 PM
I have been told that the red stuff pads don't last long at all and as the car is used everyday the pads also have to be good for the road.
I have been told by the person that im getting the discs from that the standard pads work well with these discs (just messy).

Big Col
20th July 2004, 09:20 PM
If you want an opinion on how the red stuff pads work you can wait 6 years till Big G's MINI does enough mileage to need new pads. After that you can ask his missus how they perform. :D:p:clown:

Big Gordy
20th July 2004, 09:23 PM
Ohhhh your awake today junior..........:evil: