PDA

View Full Version : Mac Help

Craig
13th January 2011, 10:09 PM
ok, one for the MAC geeks out there....

I have just been round to one of my friends and they have a new MAC. the problem is that they can't use SKYPE. It says that the router is a closed network and that the current network doesnt support Skype access

The network is fine and the windows PC connects via skype fine and makes video calls.... Lots of info on the net about probs, but no answers that I can find...

Is this a fault with the MAC or with the router needing a port opened or change to security to allow it to work?

any help appreciated :thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
14th January 2011, 01:23 AM
Bit of a poke-in-the-eye for the "it just works" camp. :lol:

A. :D

Craig
14th January 2011, 09:10 AM
Bit of a poke-in-the-eye for the "it just works" camp. :lol:

A. :D

That did cross my mind ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craig
17th January 2011, 12:44 PM
I can't believe there are no mac gurus on NMS ...... :frown:

Bazthemod
17th January 2011, 01:19 PM
Would suggest to me that the network was set-up in the first place as a closed network?

Bazthemod
17th January 2011, 01:33 PM
Just out of interest is bonjour setup/working?

Craig
17th January 2011, 01:39 PM
No idea Baz.. What I know about macs you could write on a stamp !!

As for the network being closed is this relative to macs as windows pcs work on the network fine :confused:

Gismo
18th January 2011, 12:53 AM
Still no help from the "it just works brigade" :Whistle:

Craig
18th January 2011, 09:11 AM
Well I checked the router, all the firewal settings on the mac, uninstalled the app and reinstalled and still no luck. It would appear skype are also no use at helping to resolve this issue from all the threads on various forums...

I hate macs :(

RobSco
18th January 2011, 06:54 PM
Hi Craig

I Installed Skype on my MAC with no problem so I'm puzzled at why it's not working with you... :confused:

When you click on the Skype Logo to sign into it and Skype then shows on the top left hand of the page - Click on this to bring up the Preferences - Then click on the Advanced Button - What does it show in the Incoming Connection Port...

You have downloaded the correct version for a MAC... :lol:

N16SHP
18th January 2011, 08:43 PM
I was gonna say, I don't use Skype, but my mate does and he's also on a MAC!

In response to your 'It just works' put it this way, if its only Skype that doesn't work on a MAC, then thats 99 things that it can do that a PC can't!! :D:moonie::moonie::moonie:

Craig
18th January 2011, 09:40 PM
Hi Craig

I Installed Skype on my MAC with no problem so I'm puzzled at why it's not working with you... :confused:

When you click on the Skype Logo to sign into it and Skype then shows on the top left hand of the page - Click on this to bring up the Preferences - Then click on the Advanced Button - What does it show in the Incoming Connection Port...

You have downloaded the correct version for a MAC... :lol:

Yeah most up to date version of the software.

Also tried various incoming ports without success ...

It just seems shoe don't want to fix this for 2% of the world users :rolleyes:

RobSco
18th January 2011, 10:06 PM
Your best bet would be to book it to the Genius Bar at the Apple Retail Store in Glasgow for some Technical Advice and it won't cost you anything... :thumbs up:

I've used this and found it Very Helpful, gives you an excuse to have a day out in Glasgow... :yes nod:

www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar

Hope that you get it resolved...

Craig
18th January 2011, 10:37 PM
Cheers. It's not mine and I did mention this but it's a 27" iMac so they don't want to have to take it thro unless they really have to ;)

RobSco
18th January 2011, 11:29 PM
Cheers. It's not mine and I did mention this but it's a 27" iMac so they don't want to have to take it thro unless they really have to ;)

If they've not had it that long it will still be under Warranty, try the Apple Contacts Support and hopefully will save you a trip to Glasgow, especially with a 27" iMac, I was bad enough with a 17" iMac...

www.apple.com/uk/support/contact

www.apple.com/uk/support/products/mac.html

Craig
18th January 2011, 11:56 PM
If they've not had it that long it will still be under Warranty, try the Apple Contacts Support and hopefully will save you a trip to Glasgow, especially with a 27" iMac, I was bad enough with a 17" iMac...

www.apple.com/uk/support/contact

www.apple.com/uk/support/products/mac.html

thanks again :thumbs up:

rpn
21st January 2011, 07:00 PM
Another 27" Mac user and no problem with Skype here.

Try 49256 in the Incoming Connection Port setting under Preferences, Advanced.

Good luck

rpn
21st January 2011, 07:06 PM
On my MacBook Pro, the Incoming Connection Port setting is 39099

G17RDY
27th January 2011, 09:04 PM
As far as i know, it may be a firewall rule issue.

There are numerous Mac users having the same issue, some solutions range from completely deleting every file associated with Skype and re-installing, but the favorite method to get it to work, is removing the skype entry in the firewall and re-creating it.

Changing the port number may also help, 45000.