PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problems

audrey
13th January 2011, 01:02 PM
Hi Guys

Hope you can help.Having problems starting my car thought it was the battery but I have had it checked and its ok as is the alternator.

Totally confused as I can drive around in it with no problems for a week or so then just out the blue it wont start. Starts no bother first time with a jump start. Any ideas what it could be?

Thanx Audrey :D

Craig
13th January 2011, 01:22 PM
Intermittent coil pack issue? Does it try to start at all ?? Or does the ignition just tick like the battery is flat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Gordy
13th January 2011, 01:23 PM
Does sound like the battery is not holding its charge:confused: but if you've had it checked then I'm a bit stumped:frown:
How long does it run for after you've jump started it..??
If it runs OK for a few days then I'd rule out the alternator. Still sound like the battery to me tho:rolleyes:

Big Gordy
13th January 2011, 01:27 PM
Intermittent coil pack issue? Does it try to start at all ?? Or does the ignition just tick like the battery is flat?

Funny you should meantion that...the missus says ours did this yesterday:frown: She say it ticked twice then fired up...weird:idunno:

audrey
13th January 2011, 01:34 PM

Just ticks like the battery is flat

audrey
13th January 2011, 01:37 PM
Does sound like the battery is not holding its charge:confused: but if you've had it checked then I'm a bit stumped:frown:
How long does it run for after you've jump started it..??
If it runs OK for a few days then I'd rule out the alternator. Still sound like the battery to me tho:rolleyes:

Can run for about a week then it happens again. Battery is reading 12V do you think the battery could be the problem?

audrey
13th January 2011, 01:45 PM
Meant to say that sometimes it starts no bother in the morning then I go somewhere stop and it wont start again

Craig
13th January 2011, 02:15 PM
Did the garage do a battery health check? If it's holding a charge then it's prob not that.. Also if while the cars running your getting about 13/14 volts at the battery then the alternator is working...

My money is on the coil pack... Or a battery that is on it's way put and is faulty but sometimes holds a charge ;)

Crombers
13th January 2011, 04:28 PM
Funny you should meantion that...the missus says ours did this yesterday:frown: She say it ticked twice then fired up...weird:idunno:

Mutleys way of saying "gonna take me for a LONG blast ffs" :rolleyes:

Gismo
13th January 2011, 04:44 PM
Disconnect the battery terminals and make sure all is perfectly clean.
Then try again, if the same result it is likely, not definitely, the battery that's not holding a constant charge, am assuming the alternator check showed an output of at least 13 volts?

audrey
13th January 2011, 05:55 PM
Disconnect the battery terminals and make sure all is perfectly clean.
Then try again, if the same result it is likely, not definitely, the battery that's not holding a constant charge, am assuming the alternator check showed an output of at least 13 volts?

The alternator check showed 14.53 will try to disconnect the battery tomorrow

Big Gordy
13th January 2011, 08:33 PM
Mutleys way of saying "gonna take me for a LONG blast ffs" :rolleyes:

You could be right there Al:smilewinkgrin: Audi's going in for a service on Tuesday so it will be getting a wee thrash through to Hillington.....fat chance of that with the mental traffic:frown:

Neil and Lorna
13th January 2011, 08:43 PM
My R53 used to do this as well. Found out it was when I had the front and back screen heaters and CD player on at the same time as trying to start up.
Switched all electrics off waited a couple of mins then away it went.

Neil.