PDA

View Full Version : 12v power socket (siggy lighter)

mgemie
20th July 2004, 08:15 AM
Is there anyway to wire and additional 12v power socket somewhere in the boot? Is there a wiring kit i can buy for this?

The Dogfather
20th July 2004, 04:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by mgemie

Is there anyway to wire and additional 12v power socket somewhere in the boot? Is there a wiring kit i can buy for this?

John, should be able to help you with this, he's got a 12v in his boot.

Julz
20th July 2004, 04:16 PM
:eek: Is it just me that already has one that came with the car, or is it an S thing??

R7 ETH
20th July 2004, 04:30 PM
I have one in my cooper, was it not part of the smokers kit/pack ?

GAJ
20th July 2004, 04:36 PM
They all originally had it and then the October 2002 on cars no longer had it! I think they started fitting it again later but I'm not sure when. I enquired at my dealers about having one fitted to my car because I was assured that it would come with one and I hoped they might fit it for free but, alas, no! The parts were really cheap, only a couple of quid but they were going to charge 2 hours labour! Cheers!

Smurf
20th July 2004, 08:31 PM
Mine's an October 2002, and I think I have it.....
Something to do with it being CD changer prepared? Didn't cost any more when the car was ordered.

I'll need to go look in the boot............

GAJ
20th July 2004, 08:35 PM
Mine is October 02 and I don't! It's not fair and I'm not playing!!

Big Gordy
20th July 2004, 08:50 PM
Ours is May 03 and it doesn't have it :( Would be handy for plugging the beer fridge into :p:D:approve:

mgemie
20th July 2004, 09:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Gordy

Ours is May 03 and id doesn't have it :( Would be handy for plugging the beer fridge into :p:D:approve:

Yeah, my thought exactly - a saw a car fridge at a sweet price the other day, hence this thread.. Btw i do have the 'smokers package' installed in my mini and yet i only have the 1 siggy socket in the front... Looks like i'm visiting my dealership AGAIN!! lol, last time i went it was to get rubber mats and i ended up buying a set of R90s as well....oops!:clown:;):p:D:cool:

duncan
21st July 2004, 03:34 AM
It was intended for the Mini Mobility System, i seem to think, and nothing to do with the smokers package.

mgemie
21st July 2004, 03:38 AM
all this for a mobile beer fridge...:cool::D:cool::p

GAJ
21st July 2004, 03:57 AM
quote:Originally posted by duncan

It was intended for the Mini Mobility System, i seem to think, and nothing to do with the smokers package.

Handy if you make you smoking passengers nip out to the boot though!:clown:

Smurf
21st July 2004, 03:59 PM
OK I lied....

I can't find one...... :I

And I'm damn sure I had one...... :mad:

I'll keep looking.....

GAJ
21st July 2004, 04:29 PM
quote:Originally posted by Smurf

OK I lied....

I can't find one...... :I

And I'm damn sure I had one...... :mad:

I'll keep looking.....

On the left hand side you will see a round plastic grommet. That's where it would be if you had the ciggy lighter 12volt thingy.

And before anyone says it there is no Wallace to go with it.:clown:

Big Col
21st July 2004, 04:46 PM
Hey...shouldn't it be spelled "ciggy" in the thread title? I'll see if it's in the dictionary as I look up pedantic. ;):D:approve:

Gismo
21st July 2004, 05:24 PM
I got one in my Sept 2002 mota ;)

GAJ
21st July 2004, 05:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

I got one in my Sept 2002 mota ;)

That's cos September comes before October!

Col what does pedantic mean!:I

Big Col
21st July 2004, 06:38 PM
Pedantic : to be concerned chiefly with insignificant detail. :)

Gismo
21st July 2004, 09:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ
That's cos September comes before October!
Yep, every year seemingly, but, not all pre Oct 02 mota's had the ciggy lighter, i was merely highlighting the fact that i had one :I:clown:

Big Col
21st July 2004, 10:07 PM
quote:Yep, every year seemingly, but, not all pre Oct 02 mota's had the siggy lighter, i was merely highlighting the fact that i had one :I:clown:

HA HAAAAH! See! It is spelt "Siggy"!!!!! :approve::D:clown:

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

mgemie
21st July 2004, 10:30 PM
check out the banter:cool::cool::D

Big Col
21st July 2004, 11:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

quote:Yep, every year seemingly, but, not all pre Oct 02 mota's had the siggy lighter, i was merely highlighting the fact that i had one :I:clown:

HA HAAAAH! See! It is spelt "Siggy"!!!!! :approve::D:clown:

<scowls> sassn frassn! It's so out of order mods abusing their powers!

Gismo
22nd July 2004, 12:10 AM
<sniggers> I'm sure i don't know what you mean ;)

Smurf
22nd July 2004, 01:50 AM

I HAVEN'T GOT ONE !!

:eek::eek::eek:

Just a grommet where there should be one, right enough.....
(And not even a Wallace to go with it.....)

Well, you live and learn! :)

mgemie
22nd July 2004, 01:56 AM
It would appear that my original post has caused a lot of people to realise the horror that they dont have the boot 12v socket... complaint to bmw?!:cool::D;)

john
22nd July 2004, 02:13 AM
The best way is to buy the socket from BMW it comes in 3 or 4 parts (cant remember) and in total costs around five quid:)

Its easy to install but the Cooper s and deisels are even esier as the battery is at the back.:cool:

I had it in my last cooper,but this one did not so I fitted it so I could plug in my fridge:cool::D:D:D

3GGG
22nd July 2004, 05:17 AM
My cooper has the boot 12V socket OK, but I note that it is switched via the ignition key, so the fridge would not cool when the car is parked. (However that would stop it running down the battery I guess). I use that socket for my tyre air pump mainly.

mgemie
22nd July 2004, 05:36 AM
I may just buy the parts and wire the socket in myself...anyone got a wiring diagram?

john
22nd July 2004, 08:18 AM
quote:Originally posted by mgemie

I may just buy the parts and wire the socket in myself...anyone got a wiring diagram?

yes:)

Socket-----------fuse---------------battery:D

john
22nd July 2004, 08:19 AM
or you could do it the way i did it.

socket--relay----ign/battery:)

Starky
23rd July 2004, 01:44 AM
If you wire it through your ignition your beer will get warm when you take the keys out John. :D

Starky
23rd July 2004, 01:47 AM
Doh! I missed 3GGG's post.

X30YES
23rd July 2004, 01:56 AM
< Checks boot , Did have one in my last mini one ......is it something to do with the run flats ...no need for the compressor ??

X30YES
23rd July 2004, 02:05 AM
Nope not there , only the wee grommet fellow, and nothing to do with the cd changer either , will be the run flats I bet !!

3GGG
24th July 2004, 01:22 AM
I was on Halfords today for some oil and other bits and bobs and noticed that they had some wee car fridges on offer at £25 - took one, works as a heater or a fridge. Which do you think we will need for the Cullen run?

X30YES
24th July 2004, 05:25 AM
Good idea ....beer or micro meals !!!!!:D
quote:Originally posted by 3GGG

I was on Halfords today for some oil and other bits and bobs and noticed that they had some wee car fridges on offer at £25 - took one, works as a heater or a fridge. Which do you think we will need for the Cullen run?