PDA

View Full Version : Mini Suspension

mini-pea
5th January 2011, 12:32 PM
Early stages but im in the process of planning out a project and my mind has turned to suspension. I've never ripped a mini to bits before so i know very little about the set up. Can anyone help me with the mini's running gear??

Are R53 & R56 the same set up?
I assume the fronts are a strut and spring assembly with a top mount?
Are the rears a separate strut and spring?
Whats driveshafts clearance like on chassis the when lowering the car by alot?
Lastly are there any control arms on the front of the cooper s and do they present a problem when lowering?

Forbes
5th January 2011, 02:09 PM
Will help where I can, please note I am not fully clued up

Early stages but im in the process of planning out a project and my mind has turned to suspension. I've never ripped a mini to bits before so i know very little about the set up. Can anyone help me with the mini's running gear??

Are R53 & R56 the same set up?
Similar but not the same
I assume the fronts are a strut and spring assembly with a top mount?
I think so
Are the rears a separate strut and spring?
Nae clue
Whats driveshafts clearance like on chassis the when lowering the car by alot?
Fine, though for some reason the Americans have greater issues than us
Lastly are there any control arms on the front of the cooper s and do they present a problem when lowering?
Not sure if there is control arms, but again I haven't heard of any issues

My S is lowered around 65mm all round and has covered 4kmiles like that as a DD over speed bumps etc. with no issues. One of the main issues/blessings with lowering the MINI is the front bumper, the bumper will always catch before you hit anything more serious underneath. Or atleast that is what I have found.

For main site for MINIs running low is Motoring|Underground, they have a wealth of knowledge on lowering and wheel specs for MINIs

Gismo
5th January 2011, 02:26 PM
The fronts are a strut and spring assembly with a top mount.

RyanK
5th January 2011, 04:54 PM
R53 fronts and R56 fronts are the same. R56 and R53 GP have alloy rear swing arms which mean R53 specific suspension will not fit without washers. You can pickup the washers from Helix13 in the US, link here - Helix R56 Rear Shock Bushings (http://www.helix13.com/mini/products/suspension-chasis)

MungoUSA
6th January 2011, 02:48 PM
I would go with adjustable coil overs so you can tune in the perfect height for your application.

mini-pea
6th January 2011, 03:11 PM
I would go with adjustable coil overs so you can tune in the perfect height for your application.

ive got and air ride system in build at the moment

craigib76
13th January 2011, 06:52 PM
chris the front suspension set up on the mini R53 atleast is the same as the 3 series bmw dunno if its quite all the same but certianly the suspension arm and 2 ball joint set up is

dunno if thats any help to you?????