PDA

View Full Version : 57 Cooper

Tam1314
2nd January 2011, 10:53 PM
Hi Folks, lm thinking about buying this car from John Clark in Aberdeen, have been for a test drive in it and it is fine, but l have one or two concerns about it and lm hoping you guys on here will be able to answer my queries before l go back on saturday.

http://www.johnclarkaberdeenmini.co.uk/used_mini/current_stock.html

its the second one from the bottom, Red with Black roof and black bonnet stripes.

Firstly, l thought the cars came with 15" wheels but this one has 17" runflats, the sales rep told me this was what the customer ordered, but what will that do to the insurance, and will l be able to fit 15" wheels back on for the winter?

Secondly, it has a bodykit fitted and has JCW kickplates fitted to the sills, the sales rep didnt know what type of kit it was, do any of you guys know ?

Thirdly, it has a sport button, l thought these were only fitted to a Cooper S

Thanks
Tam

GCA3N
2nd January 2011, 11:11 PM
Hi Folks, lm thinking about buying this car from John Clark in Aberdeen, have been for a test drive in it and it is fine, but l have one or two concerns about it and lm hoping you guys on here will be able to answer my queries before l go back on saturday.

its the second one from the bottom, Red with Black roof and black bonnet stripes.

Firstly, l thought the cars came with 15" wheels but this one has 17" runflats, the sales rep told me this was what the customer ordered, but what will that do to the insurance, and will l be able to fit 15" wheels back on for the winter?

Secondly, it has a bodykit fitted and has JCW kickplates fitted to the sills, the sales rep didnt know what type of kit it was, do any of you guys know ?

Thanks
Tam

Ok the kit is the jcw body kit. The sport button can be on the cooper too not sure on ones though.

Wheels are specced at purchase, and on models with standard brakes ie not jcw brembos you can pretty much have what you want. I think some of the packs ie chili specify larger wheels. (although unsure on this) Either way the wheel size should make no difference to the insurance as long as they are standard mini wheels.

Hope this helps oh and the car looks gorgeous btw.

Forbes
2nd January 2011, 11:15 PM

Thanks
Tam

Wheels can be done through insurance as optional extra as can the bodykit (called the aero) both will add resale value to the car. Who were you dealing with at JCs as they are usually clued up?

GCA3N
2nd January 2011, 11:25 PM
Wheels can be done through insurance as optional extra as can the bodykit (called the aero) both will add resale value to the car. Who were you dealing with at JCs as they are usually clued up?

I always though the r56 kit was the jcw kit and the r50/r53 was the aero kit. Oh well live and learn.

Tam1314
2nd January 2011, 11:37 PM
Thanks guys, the salesman was called Antony and has only been there 3 weeks, he thought the wheels were JCW as well.
What effect will the sport button have, will it be the same as the sport button on the 'S'

Thanks

Doug_m
3rd January 2011, 12:08 AM
Speak to Tony (he has an asian look about him) and is clued up and easy to speak to.

As for sport button i think its supposed to make things more responsive. Throttle response etc

Stewart
3rd January 2011, 04:42 AM
I have the sport button on my coop, it's nice to have when your on a nice road. In fact it was only doing the twilight run a few years back that I felt just how much better the car felt. when I jumped in after a stop and forgot to press it back on it it would take a few minutes till I thought "what's wrong with the car" A press later and it was back to the better feel at the wheel.
I thought it was a gimmick for the first six months I had the car, but I know now that I'd
want it in my mini, that's for sure.

Mon the fish
3rd January 2011, 10:41 AM
That salesman sounds seriously useless

GCA3N
3rd January 2011, 11:02 AM
Sport button is a must it makes the car feel so much better. As Stewart says occasionally forget to turn it on then think to myself why is the car not driving right..... Oops sport buttons not on.

It's sharpens the throttle response and gives a better feel through the steering by reducing the effects of the power steering.

Forbes
3rd January 2011, 11:43 AM
The wheels aren't JCW I don't think, they are the r99, overnight memory like a fish

Tam1314
4th January 2011, 08:11 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys, but now that l have decided that lm gonna buy a mini its gonna have to be a Cooper S, got a test drive in one at Peter Vardy on Saturday