PDA

View Full Version : Sport button

Neil - TXJ
2nd January 2011, 09:35 PM
Ok, yet another daft question.

I have now had my MCS for nearly 2 months and together with running in, snow and freezing temperatures (-21 is the lowest I have seen) I still haven't had chance for a good run.

One thing I am unsure of is the Sports Button, what difference does this make to the car? I have also read about being able to turn of the traction control fully off as just pressing the bottun doesn't turn it off completely- is that correct?

Thanks.

GCA3N
2nd January 2011, 10:04 PM
Ok, yet another daft question.

I have now had my MCS for nearly 2 months and together with running in, snow and freezing temperatures (-21 is the lowest I have seen) I still haven't had chance for a good run.

One thing I am unsure of is the Sports Button, what difference does this make to the car? I have also read about being able to turn of the traction control fully off as just pressing the bottun doesn't turn it off completely- is that correct?

Thanks.

Ok mate the sport button does two main things. One it sharpens throttle response making the car feel much livelier. It also takes some of the power steering away ie greater feel on the steering. In the jcw there is an increase in torque to (I believe) plus the exhaust note changes with it on giving more pops and bangs.

As far as turning off the traction control etc this just transforms the drive looking the diff and making it drive so much better. Wouldn't recommend it when it's icy or really wet but if your out for a spirited drive it just makes all the difference.

Neil - TXJ
3rd January 2011, 12:07 AM
As far as turning off the traction control etc this just transforms the drive looking the diff and making it drive so much better. Wouldn't recommend it when it's icy or really wet but if your out for a spirited drive it just makes all the difference.

Cheers. To lock the diff do you have to hold the traction control for longer than normal and how do you know when it has worked?

Ps - you happy with the new wheels, you sounded a hit unsure from some of your posts?

Gismo
3rd January 2011, 07:28 AM
Cheers. To lock the diff do you have to hold the traction control for longer than normal and how do you know when it has worked?

Ps - you happy with the new wheels, you sounded a hit unsure from some of your posts?Pretty sure to disable the traction control you press the sport button for around 3 - 4 seconds, let go then press again for around 5 - 6 seconds, the light should come on on the dash to show it's disabled

GCA3N
3rd January 2011, 09:54 AM
Yeh press it for 3-4 secs then continue to hold for a further 3-4 secs without letting go.

ianking
3rd January 2011, 10:28 AM
Its only the factory JCWs of this age that have the electronic diff Greig.
Diff was an option on early R56 Ss but not anymore.

GCA3N
3rd January 2011, 10:41 AM
Its only the factory JCWs of this age that have the electronic diff Greig.
Diff was an option on early R56 Ss but not anymore.

Nice one Ian I never new that. What does holding the button on for longer do then Ian on models that it doesn't lock the diff?

ianking
3rd January 2011, 11:13 AM
Not sure never tried it.

N16SHP
3rd January 2011, 11:25 AM
Just turns it off again :D

Neil - TXJ
3rd January 2011, 01:19 PM
Thanks everybody, I clearly don't need to worry about locking the diff!

ELFMAN
3rd January 2011, 02:50 PM
Trigger, there's a separate button in my 2008 (non JCW) R56 S to turn off the Traction Control/Dynamic Stability Control. There are 3 in front of the gear lever - 'Sport', 'Automatic Stop/Start' and the Traction/DSC one on the right. To disable the TC/DSC, just hold down the button for a couple of seconds, you should see a 'warning triangle' symbol to indicate that your TC/DSC is off.

I turn it off when I want to make a 'quick getaway', otherwise it kicks in and kills the power (I stupidly forgot this and knackered my standing start from the M6 Toll gates on the last Oxford Run... Eejit!). Most of the time I have my TC/DSC on, as I don't find it interferes too much, even when I'm 'going for it'. The electronic diff trickery in the JCW seems to kill the fun a bit more, according to those who like to switch it off! My S has a mechanical Limited Slip Diff which is obviously operating constantly, but unless this was specified from the factory, the R56 doesn't have it, or as Ian said, the Electronic diff. which is a Factory JCW-only fitment.

GCA3N
3rd January 2011, 03:50 PM
I stupidly forgot this and knackered my standing start from the M6 Toll gates on the last Oxford Run... Eejit!

:laugh:

KenL
3rd January 2011, 06:04 PM
I thought you could not completely turn off the traction control systems. The car will turn it back on if it thinks you are about to have an off!

Also, to turn the TC off you press its own button, not the SPORT button, no?

The overboost (gives an extra 20Nm torque for a short time) also happens on the non-JCW S. I think It is not connected with the SPORT button, just planting your right foot.

stoney
3rd January 2011, 06:59 PM
I thought you could not completely turn off the traction control systems. The car will turn it back on if it thinks you are about to have an off!

Also, to turn the TC off you press its own button, not the SPORT button, no?

The overboost (gives an extra 20Nm torque for a short time) also happens on the non-JCW S. I think It is not connected with the SPORT button, just planting your right foot.
well in the R53 when the TC is off its off :lol: and the TC is diffrent on the R56 FAC JCW to the FAC S R56 and you just need to drive it right and the TC will not bother you at all only if you intend on driving like a fanny then it will interfeer :yes nod: so in short you have to be giving it a hell of a lot of abuse to get the TC to kick in when you have it turnd off and well if you are doing that i hope mr police man is round the corner and takes your licance off you on the spot !!!

GCA3N
3rd January 2011, 07:32 PM
well in the R53 when the TC is off its off :lol: and the TC is diffrent on the R56 FAC JCW to the FAC S R56 and you just need to drive it right and the TC will not bother you at all only if you intend on driving like a fanny then it will interfeer :yes nod: so in short you have to be giving it a hell of a lot of abuse to get the TC to kick in when you have it turnd off and well if you are doing that i hope mr police man is round the corner and takes your licance off you on the spot !!!

is it your time off the month Rob? your very aggressive tonight.:rolleyes:

RyanK
3rd January 2011, 07:43 PM

Not necessarily min. TC fully off on my 56 with the stupid glorified differential in place the traction still cuts out when leaving junctions 'quickly'

Im no racer but you know the type I mean i.e Those roundabouts that you are stuck at for ages trying to find a gap in the traffic, theres a car coming but you have enough time to make it if you put down the foot a little harder. Do this in the R56 and the car takes a hissy and cuts out, thus you end up cutting up that car that was on its way round the roundabout. Major downfall of the R56

KenL
3rd January 2011, 08:12 PM
Do this in the R56 and the car takes a hissy and cuts out, thus you end up cutting up that car that was on its way round the roundabout. Major downfall of the R56

This is strange! I have never felt the power actually being cut in mine. If the lights flickers, it might be reducing power slightly but I have never felt the car actually losing power in a way that is really noticeable. Mine is a 2009 with DSC.

Ryan - If you are feeling that the car is leaving you in a tight spot, you need to get your car checked out and maybe not take risks like you describe above :eek:

ELFMAN
3rd January 2011, 08:48 PM
http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by RyanK http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=265432#post265432)
Do this in the R56 and the car takes a hissy and cuts out, thus you end up cutting up that car that was on its way round the roundabout. Major downfall of the R56

That's strange Ryan - with my TC/DSC off, I can cane it off the line with no apparent power cut... even with the stuff left on, it's only when you boot it fairly hard that the TC would cut the power, so I woudn't have thought the JCW in 'off' mode would do this and leave you stranded, I mean how do magazines etc get 0-60 times on the JCW if the power gets killed when they floor it from a stsnding start? I'd look into this if I were you... I mean what's the point of a JCW that can't trash things away from the lights now and again... and again... and again.

Greig, you leave Stoney alone, we're an emotional, sensitive lot in Larkhall... Ya B*****!

Mon the fish
3rd January 2011, 10:17 PM
Been a while since I've booted an R56, but certainly the TC in the R53 is the slowest, most dim-witted system I've ever encountered. It can cut the power for almost a second. If ^^^ is anything like that, it would really do my head in. TC always off FTW

RyanK
4th January 2011, 12:57 AM
This is strange! I have never felt the power actually being cut in mine. If the lights flickers, it might be reducing power slightly but I have never felt the car actually losing power in a way that is really noticeable. Mine is a 2009 with DSC.

Ryan - If you are feeling that the car is leaving you in a tight spot, you need to get your car checked out and maybe not take risks like you describe above :eek:

Thanks. Maybe get it checked out or pull the fuse :thumbs up:

That's strange Ryan - with my TC/DSC off, I can cane it off the line with no apparent power cut... even with the stuff left on, it's only when you boot it fairly hard that the TC would cut the power, so I woudn't have thought the JCW in 'off' mode would do this and leave you stranded, I mean how do magazines etc get 0-60 times on the JCW if the power gets killed when they floor it from a stsnding start? I'd look into this if I were you... I mean what's the point of a JCW that can't trash things away from the lights now and again... and again... and again.

Yup it does :frown:

If you plant the foot on a greasy road (with all traction units disabled and sport on), get to about 4k and as soon as the car starts spinning it eliminates power delivery from the throttle for a split second. Spoke to a guy down south who has a Factory JCW and he has the same problem. Said its 10x worse on the track as you can't put the power down coming out of tight corners without it having a fit...even on R888s!

Im with you, don't see the point of the jcw badge thus far due to this issue. GP was a straight traction off and have some fun

If ^^^ is anything like that, it would really do my head in.

Yup can't stand it

Neil - TXJ
4th January 2011, 09:41 AM
Trigger, there's a separate button in my 2008 (non JCW) R56 S to turn off the Traction Control/Dynamic Stability Control. There are 3 in front of the gear lever - 'Sport', 'Automatic Stop/Start' and the Traction/DSC one on the right. To disable the TC/DSC, just hold down the button for a couple of seconds, you should see a 'warning triangle' symbol to indicate that your TC/DSC is off.

Thanks. I was aware of this and turned it offa couple of times in the snow but had read other comments about holding the sport button for a few seconds hence the question but this only applies to the JCW

MungoUSA
6th January 2011, 03:50 PM
I have had the DSC (R56) come on once in a while when doing a launch type start at auto x events. Over 3 years of racing and learning the perfect RPM to launch at has pretty much eliminated the DSC popping back on when off. Remember wheel spin is not forward motion. ;-) DSC is for regular folks to stay alive on the road. The new DTC offers a more spirited traction control but will still keep a regular driver safe while annoying a more spirited motorist.

ELFMAN
6th January 2011, 03:58 PM
Remember wheel spin is not forward motion.

Yes, but sometimes it's bloody good FUN! :hand:

I've 'launched' pretty seriously a few times after switching off the TC/DSC (I don't make a habit of it), and it hasn't popped back on. How violent would you have to be to panic the car into reinstating the TC/DSC when you gun it off the line? Maybe after years of steet-racing classic Minis etc in my mis-spent automotive youth my launches are 'perfect'! :smilewinkgrin: (I wish...). :rolleyes:

MungoUSA
6th January 2011, 06:33 PM
The few times it happend to me i had a little wheel hop, maybe the yaw sensors go crazy when the car starts hoping. I've never had it come back on except on a launch. Once I'm running, even coming hot out of a corner it lets me burn the s#@t out of the tires without interviening.

ELFMAN
11th January 2011, 03:06 PM
Maybe I just don't launch hard enough Mungo!

MungoUSA
11th January 2011, 05:00 PM
Maybe I just don't launch hard enough Mungo!

That's what she said! ;-)

ELFMAN
11th January 2011, 09:07 PM
I prefer a more subtle approach when using the 'Sport Button'... :thumbs up::blush:

Mon the fish
12th January 2011, 08:45 AM
I like my sport button. The pedal on the right. Makes the car as sporty as I like