PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Kindle

AndyP & Lenore
1st January 2011, 09:45 PM
Got one if these bad boys from Santa.

Simply put it's one if the most amazing pieces of kit I've seen in a long time. The 'Whispernet' feature to sync everything across all my apple based iPod iPad iPhone Kindle apps as well as the kindle device itself is stunning.

Anyone else got one?

Alan, I seem to remember you had a Sony ebook reader... Any plans to change to kindle? If so, I can certainly recommend it.

A. :D

Gismo
1st January 2011, 09:57 PM
Alan, I seem to remember you had a Sony ebook reader... Any plans to change to kindle? If so, I can certainly recommend it.

A. :DAndy, i got the new Nook Colour and it is fantastic, way ahead of my old Sony e-reader, it gives you the ability to own more than one on the same account (i bought one for Julie's crimbo) we can both downlaod the same book and read it when we want, plus lots of other neat deals, fully wi-fi etc

AndyP & Lenore
1st January 2011, 10:28 PM
Just had a look at the Nook. Looks good. Have never seen one before. Be interesting to see how you get on with batter length and readability etc, with it being a backlit screen. Screen looks pretty nifty though.

A.

GCA3N
1st January 2011, 11:07 PM
Got my father in law one of these he was a bit hesitant at first but totally loves it now.

Gismo
2nd January 2011, 08:12 AM
Just had a look at the Nook. Looks good. Have never seen one before. Be interesting to see how you get on with batter length and readability etc, with it being a backlit screen. Screen looks pretty nifty though.

A.I was concerned about the backlight in direct sunshine, especially as i like to read outside during lunchtime when away working, i can read it at normal brightness, but, if i set it to max i can read it perfectly ok.
Battery life isn't as good as my old Sony, but, it's adequate enough for my needs, though i don't use it much for surfing or anything else, just purely reading.
All in all well happy with it, pretty sure it's unique to Barnes & Noble

stoney
2nd January 2011, 12:09 PM
we got my dad one for his x-mas as well he loves it !!!!

Neil - TXJ
2nd January 2011, 02:15 PM
Got one if these bad boys from Santa.

Simply put it's one if the most amazing pieces of kit I've seen in a long time. The 'Whispernet' feature to sync everything across all my apple based iPod iPad iPhone Kindle apps as well as the kindle device itself is stunning.

Anyone else got one?

Hi Andy

I thought you could get an Kindle App for the i-pad so if you have an i-pad what are the benefits of also having a Kindle? Looking to get an i-pad later in the year, as there are rumours it will be undated in February, but thought I could then run the Kindle App on that rather than also having to buy the Kindle. Is my understanding wrong?

Thanks

AndyP & Lenore
2nd January 2011, 04:45 PM
Trigger, you're spot on. You can download the free kindle app for the iPad. This gives you full kindle functionality on the iPad.

Tbh, the kindle was a surprise prezzie from Lenore and she may not have known you can get a kindle app for the iPad. However, I absolutely love the kindle. It is so easy to use, and the e-ink screen is so easy to read. As good as the back lit screen in the iPad is, it's back lit, so it drains power and causes a fair bit of glare in the bedroom - I do almost all my book reading in bed - and it would keep lenire off her sleep. On top of that, as compact a package as the iPad is, it's still way bigger than the kindle, which is wafer thin, very light and a joy to read from.

So, as much as you can get the kindle app for the iPad, I see the two as very different bits of kit, used for very different tasks.

I only downloaded the kindle app for the iPad to see how it all works, really.

A.

Neil - TXJ
2nd January 2011, 07:56 PM
Trigger, you're spot on. You can download the free kindle app for the iPad. This gives you full kindle functionality on the iPad.

Tbh, the kindle was a surprise prezzie from Lenore and she may not have known you can get a kindle app for the iPad. However, I absolutely love the kindle. It is so easy to use, and the e-ink screen is so easy to read. As good as the back lit screen in the iPad is, it's back lit, so it drains power and causes a fair bit of glare in the bedroom - I do almost all my book reading in bed - and it would keep lenire off her sleep. On top of that, as compact a package as the iPad is, it's still way bigger than the kindle, which is wafer thin, very light and a joy to read from.

So, as much as you can get the kindle app for the iPad, I see the two as very different bits of kit, used for very different tasks.

I only downloaded the kindle app for the iPad to see how it all works, really.

A.

Thanks

illegalhunter
2nd January 2011, 09:02 PM
Santa brought me one aswell and you can download books from google and convert them for the Kindle

N16SHP
3rd January 2011, 01:01 AM
I think these things are awesome! I'm not a big reader, but when I go on holiday, I take a few books, and think these would be so useful at cutting down on luggage space!

Gismo
3rd January 2011, 07:21 AM
With my Nook Colour, any time i walk into any branch of Barnes & Noble you connect to their wi-fi, you can download books directly and read any book for 1 hour and decide whether to buy or not.
You can also subscribe to news papers and magazines, out of curiosity, can the Kindle subscribe like that? not that i'lll be doing it, just curious

GCA3N
3rd January 2011, 09:58 AM
With my Nook Colour, any time i walk into any branch of Barnes & Noble you connect to their wi-fi, you can download books directly and read any book for 1 hour and decide whether to buy or not.
You can also subscribe to news papers and magazines, out of curiosity, can the Kindle subscribe like that? not that i'lll be doing it, just curious

That is so cool.

AndyP & Lenore
3rd January 2011, 11:02 AM

The Kindle can subscribe to a load of newspapers, I've looked at the list and it covers most daily broadsheets and tabloids, but I'm not really a newspaper reader so not bothered with that side of it. And as there's no Amazon stores - well anywhere really - the ability to download books for an hour doesn't exist. However, I think you can download the first three chapters of books to decide if you want to pay for the rest.

A.

Gismo
3rd January 2011, 11:10 AM
If i could subscribe to a UK paper i would, i like to keep up to date with the news there, sadly, when i'm home i hardly get a chance to keep up to date

JamesCB
4th January 2011, 01:01 PM
I tried a friends and was quite put off by the odd black/white flash between each page load. He presumed what was normal though?

AndyP & Lenore
5th January 2011, 01:08 AM
I tried a friends and was quite put off by the odd black/white flash between each page load. He presumed what was normal though?

James, the wee flash is normal - it's when the page is refreshing itself on a page turn. Its actually one of the features of the kindle, because that's the only time the screen uses any power.

JamesCB
14th January 2011, 06:42 PM
James, the wee flash is normal - it's when the page is refreshing itself on a page turn. Its actually one of the features of the kindle, because that's the only time the screen uses any power.

Ahh fair enough. Suppose in future updates the load time will be less and less.