PDA

View Full Version : 2011. What are you going to work on?

AndyP & Lenore
31st December 2010, 07:30 PM
I've never really liked "new years resolutions" as they are always so hard to keep. And when I break them I have a real sense of failure - and I hate to fail. And fail I do, usually within a couple of hours of the 1st of the month.

So, this year I'm going to commit to "working on improving".

I'm going to work on:

1. Keeping my temper. Especially when I'm driving - I've got terrible road rage, more often than not directed at pensioners who drive at 40mph everywhere. It's really not their fault - they started driving when there were no speed limits so assume everything is still the same, and they don't go over 40 out of town because they recognise their skills are so limited they would be a danger to themselves and other road users by going any faster. So, more patience required there.

2. Spending more time with my Mum and Dad. Regardless of how much I want them to be, they won't be around forever and I really should spend more time with them now.

3. Loose a stack of weight. In 2009 I shed 2 stone and although I haven't weighed myself recently I suspect it's all gone back on. So, I really need to get some weight off and starting Jan 2 the work begins.

So, what are you all gonna work on in 2011?

A. :D

Doug_m
31st December 2010, 07:45 PM
Im deffo gonna work on getting fit!

And to save more ca$h :)

N16SHP
31st December 2010, 08:03 PM
Save cash is a good start as I'm getting married in December 11, and with that i've also enlisted the help of a mate who is a personal trainer to get me in shape!!

The Dogfather
31st December 2010, 08:17 PM
I'm going to shift some weight as well, I'm still below what I was last summer but I've put a large amount back on.

Target weight is 10st 7lbs so that's 21lbs I have to loose

Scottie
31st December 2010, 09:01 PM
had a thought about what I could in 2011 that I didn't do in 2010 and can't come up with anything so for me it's just keep going as I have been.

GCA3N
31st December 2010, 09:03 PM
Good thread Andy. gonna need to think about this, hard to improve on perfection ;)

T5LLC
31st December 2010, 10:18 PM
Good thread Andy. gonna need to think about this, hard to improve on perfection ;)

That made me giggle! :)

My new years thing this year is to just enjoy it! Spent to much time this year being bothered about no longer having parents in my life. Greig you know what i mean.

Hope everyone has a great start to the year.

Leanne & Poppy x

Flash_Amber
31st December 2010, 10:47 PM
I've lost 3 stone this year so the plan is to keep going till I reach my target weight this new year. The other thing I want to do is go to college and study art and design.

Wishing everyone good health and happiness for the new year x

GCA3N
31st December 2010, 11:15 PM
That made me giggle! :)

My new years thing this year is to just enjoy it! Spent to much time this year being bothered about no longer having parents in my life. Greig you know what i mean.

Hope everyone has a great start to the year.

Leanne & Poppy x

Good to be here for comic value :lol:

GCA3N
31st December 2010, 11:16 PM
I've lost 3 stone this year so the plan is to keep going till I reach my target weight this new year. The other thing I want to do is go to college and study art and design.

Wishing everyone good health and happiness for the new year x

Well done and you should go for it now before life passes bye.

Mini Ecosse
1st January 2011, 09:39 AM
Hopefully loose some weight:thud:

Must admit to be concerned about Andy's comments re pensioners, I retire in October:thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

Neil - TXJ
1st January 2011, 10:26 AM
2 things which don't go together very well.

1. Not to come last in a Round of COD
2. Lose weight / get fitter

Crombers
2nd January 2011, 10:15 PM

Can I have a go !

GCA3N
2nd January 2011, 10:50 PM
Can I have a go !

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: brilliant :thumbs up:

AeroJonny
3rd January 2011, 10:21 PM
I want to lose at least a stone between now and starting my new job in March, it's a new start and the dream job so I want to hit the ground running. :)

Craig
3rd January 2011, 10:59 PM
I want to lose at least a stone between now and starting my new job in March, it's a new start and the dream job so I want to hit the ground running. :)

I take it you ve got a pilot job Jonny? If so well done son ;). And get the weight off fatty !! :yes nod:

Sheilz
3rd January 2011, 11:33 PM
Am another with an expanding waist line so need to cut out the sweeties and junk and take on board that driving to the beach really isn't classed as 'exercise' I need to get out and walk along it too! I also need to work on curtailing my spending this year too. Shouldn't be too difficult since I grudge every soddin penny stolen in hidden taxes which should make it easier to avoid shopping but also need to save money for some things around the house that are beginning to scream out for attention. So no clothes shopping and a serious cut in my petrol consumption is on the cards for me this year.

Gismo
4th January 2011, 07:54 AM
A fitter, healthier lifestyle for me, more fruit and less of the sweet stuff

Mon the fish
4th January 2011, 09:18 AM
Everyone want to lose weight on here - I've been trying to put it on and can't... :p

My plans - more whisky, more sex, and try to get single-figure mpg out of a full tank of V-Power, as current best effort is a disappointing 17mpg

Mini Ecosse
4th January 2011, 09:27 AM
everyone want to lose weight on here - i've been trying to put it on and can't... :p

my plans - more whisky, more sex, and try to get single-figure mpg out of a full tank of v-power, as current best effort is a disappointing 17mpg

pmsl

Gismo
4th January 2011, 11:29 AM
and try to get single-figure mpg out of a full tank of V-Power, as current best effort is a disappointing 17mpgI got 9mpg on a track day at Knockhill :thumbs up: try a wee bitty harder :Whistle:

AeroJonny
4th January 2011, 02:53 PM
I take it you ve got a pilot job Jonny? If so well done son ;). And get the weight off fatty !! :yes nod:

Cheers Craig, I'm going to be flying for the web's favourite airline, just impatient to start now. Yes boss ;)

Everyone want to lose weight on here - I've been trying to put it on and can't... :p

My plans - more whisky, more sex, and try to get single-figure mpg out of a full tank of V-Power, as current best effort is a disappointing 17mpg

LAD!

john
4th January 2011, 03:26 PM

Can't help with the first two but the single figure is easy and you live in the right place for it too, just nip up to the Lecht and back or hang on to the back of an FQ320 Lancer for a bit (both work a treat)

Forbes
4th January 2011, 04:00 PM
Can't help with the first two but the single figure is easy and you live in the right place for it too, just nip up to the Lecht and back or hang on to the back of an FQ320 Lancer for a bit (both work a treat)

I still don't forget you on the A90 between Dundee and Perth

Gismo
4th January 2011, 04:03 PM
I still don't forget you on the A90 between Dundee and PerthAnd i remember doing a recce one year for the Cullen Run :lol:

Mon the fish
4th January 2011, 05:24 PM
To be fair, you have to go hammer & tongs for the whole tank to get teens mpg, the 17mpg I got was driving from Falkirk to Alford via the A93, so a bit of sensible motorway driving helped keep the mpg higher

AeroJonny
4th January 2011, 08:10 PM
To be fair, you have to go hammer & tongs for the whole tank to get teens mpg, the 17mpg I got was driving from Falkirk to Alford via the A93, so a bit of sensible motorway driving helped keep the mpg higher

excuses, excuses...

Craig
4th January 2011, 08:12 PM
Cheers Craig, I'm going to be flying for the web's favourite airline, just impatient to start now. Yes boss ;)

Hope the new job goes well :thumbs up:

stoney
4th January 2011, 09:06 PM
well i am detrmind to move house so save money and get my flat on the market !!

Mon the fish
4th January 2011, 10:31 PM
excuses, excuses...

Oh I will try, don't you worry! Just got to make time for the whisky and sex bit now...

Doug_m
4th January 2011, 11:10 PM
Oh I will try, don't you worry! Just got to make time for the whisky and sex bit now...

Good luck with the sex part, single figure mpgs waay easier!

Not paying are you? Ha :p

Mon the fish
5th January 2011, 08:36 AM
As I'm married, I pay both financially and mentally :-(

euan
5th January 2011, 10:47 AM
My aim is to some proper financial planning, we've got some big house plans for the next couple of years (loft extension, and a long term plan to extend the ground floor) that means we've got some big bills coming up. So we need to get our finances in shape in a way that doesn't involve cutting services and raising taxes ;-)

Mon the fish
3rd January 2012, 09:03 AM

Thread resurrection time - how many failed to do what they wanted!?

I had more whisky, you'll need to ask the wife about the sex part, and I sadly failed at the mpg challenge as I hardly used the car. What I didn't plan on was taking up running - did the Glasgow half marathon in 1hr 57, and planning on a full marathon this year

stoney
3rd January 2012, 09:44 AM
well i am detrmind to move house so save money and get my flat on the market !!

well flat is on the market but still in the flat so 1/2 way there for me

euan
9th January 2012, 10:38 AM
My aim is to some proper financial planning, we've got some big house plans for the next couple of years (loft extension, and a long term plan to extend the ground floor) that means we've got some big bills coming up. So we need to get our finances in shape in a way that doesn't involve cutting services and raising taxes ;-)

Well, we did the loft conversion and a new bathroom and did the financial planning - was all brought forward as we had a new arrival in the form of a new baby boy just before christmas so it was all kind of necessary!

AndyP & Lenore
9th January 2012, 12:07 PM
I'm going to work on:

1. Keeping my temper. Especially when I'm driving - I've got terrible road rage, more often than not directed at pensioners who drive at 40mph everywhere. It's really not their fault - they started driving when there were no speed limits so assume everything is still the same, and they don't go over 40 out of town because they recognise their skills are so limited they would be a danger to themselves and other road users by going any faster. So, more patience required there. A. :D

FAIL!
The 40mph ass****s simply shouldn't be on the road. And don't even get me started on the "fogs and sides" brigade.

2. Spending more time with my Mum and Dad. Regardless of how much I want them to be, they won't be around forever and I really should spend more time with them now.

FAIL!
And for this I feel awful. Must make more effort in 2012.

3. Loose a stack of weight. In 2009 I shed 2 stone and although I haven't weighed myself recently I suspect it's all gone back on. So, I really need to get some weight off and starting Jan 2 the work begins.

FAIL!

Although I have taken up tennis and am fitter than I was a year ago. Only trouble is I'm pushing my body too hard and things keep breaking which keeps setting me back. I need a more structured approach to this getting fitter/loosing weight fandango.

A.

Gismo
9th January 2012, 02:40 PM
A fitter, healthier lifestyle for me, more fruit and less of the sweet stuffMassive FAIL :sad: really need to do something this year

ELFMAN
9th January 2012, 02:49 PM
Must have MORE FUN in 2012!!!
For 2012 I'd like to be less Uptight, less Upright... and lose the weight that I lost in 2011 before going into hospital - and put back on again since June.

Age-wise, that was my last New Year with a '4' at the start, which scares the cr@p out of me. There must be some mistake, I'm in my 30's at most, and psychologically it could be argued I'm still in my teens. By the way, I have more than enough Whisky, so no probs there, but if anyone knows a mad girl who likes Highland Scenery, Led Zeppelin and a sense of the ridiculous, that would make 2012 a bit special...

Sheilz
10th January 2012, 11:59 PM
Partial fail for me :frown: Didn't lose weight, the exact opposite. Petrol consumption vastly reduced with benefit of Dougall's mileage being much lower than Specy's at same age. Spent loads on the house and very little by way of clothes buying for myself though purchasing such items for teenage daughter went through the roof. Still got loads to do to the house and seriously need to tackle the spare tyre which is getting to tractor proportions. Billy Bunter lives on!

EcosseGP
11th January 2012, 10:25 AM
I think everyone plans to start the new year off making "promises" to themselves but I wonder how many actually succeed. I know that I haven't even tried on stuff I said I'd do during 2011 and decided there's no point in making efforts just to repeat them in 2012 as I just know it'll never happen.
Will however go down the lose a few pounds (not on fuel) route and try to be fitter than in 2011 but another year older and maybe not wiser so who knows what will happen ..
With those that have made resolutions for 2012 "good luck" and see how you get on this year

At 8000rpm no one hears you scream

ELFMAN
11th January 2012, 12:35 PM
seriously need to tackle the spare tyre which is getting to tractor proportions

Sheilz, My best hope this year is to aim for a 'Space-Saver' instead of my current '205/45x17 Run-Fat'... :frown:

Craig
11th January 2012, 12:54 PM
Sheilz, My best hope this year is to aim for a 'Space-Saver' instead of my current '205/45x17 Run-Fat'... :frown:

:laugh: :lol: :clap:

Sheilz
11th January 2012, 09:16 PM
:laugh: :lol: :clap:

Go for it Euan :thumbs up:

Ferengo
17th January 2012, 01:53 PM
Well I'm gonna put my guitar business back on track. Lost sight of everything last year and no idea what I made. So far everythings going good. GOt my spreadsheets all sorted for stock in, out and fee's/taxes.

ELFMAN
18th January 2012, 12:07 PM
Well I'm gonna put my guitar business back on track. Lost sight of everything last year and no idea what I made. So far everythings going good. GOt my spreadsheets all sorted for stock in, out and fee's/taxes.

TWANG-TASTIC! One of my resolutions should really be to try to pick up my guitar (Strat) again - haven't played for many many months...

Glorious
18th January 2012, 12:32 PM
I've got a few for this year:

* get a new job - been working in IT in a financial office in Edinburgh for over 14 years - really need a change and contracting looks good. A proper financial review needs done as well.
* run the Edinburgh marathon in under 4 hours - failed at this last 2 years so need to crack this in May
* get my purple belt at karate, possibly my brown as well if I work hard
* make a profit from events that I run in my spare time - got a documentary film festival in Sept and a Halloween Mascarade ball in October - might set up a wee company properly if these do well
* finally, get back in a band again - I play drums and recently bought a lovely Roland V Drums kit for practice in the house and it's great to be able to jump on for 5 mins with headphones so no-one can hear me. No excuse not to practice.

That'll do - I hate a challenge!

ELFMAN
18th January 2012, 02:47 PM
Guitars? Drums? All we need is a Bass Player and we've got an NMS Band - MINI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE anyone? :shut up: :frown:

Ferengo
20th January 2012, 04:55 PM
Lol, It#s actually the Bass I play in a band. Love collecting guitars though and it turned into a bit of a business. Even do work for the local music store now.

.... and it's never too late to learn the guitar. :thumbs up:

Guitars? Drums? All we need is a Bass Player and we've got an NMS Band - MINI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE anyone? :shut up: :frown:

weefossy
20th January 2012, 08:29 PM
What Roland kit do you have? I've got a TD6v with all mesh heads and a V11 Hi Hat. I love it and wouldn't go back to an acoustic kit, even for gigging. Saying that I occassionally play percussion for a Soul Band using all acoustic congas etc. Keeps me busy in my old age...lol

Glorious
20th January 2012, 09:09 PM
What Roland kit do you have? I've got a TD6v with all mesh heads and a V11 Hi Hat. I love it and wouldn't go back to an acoustic kit, even for gigging. Saying that I occassionally play percussion for a Soul Band using all acoustic congas etc. Keeps me busy in my old age...lol

I've got the TD12 - again with all mesh heads. It's my first electronic kit (I've got a Tama Rockstar that I gig with that I bought in 2000 and is still mint) and like you I love it. It' s great to be able to throw some tunes on and just go mental (I like my stuff heavy!) for 5 mins or an hour and not bother anyone else in the house.

So you gig with it? I guess it's the sound guy's dream! I'm just jamming with friends just now but would definitely try it out live.

Where do you play?

weefossy
22nd January 2012, 12:55 PM
I'm back playing with guys I used to play with at school (that sounds bad ,but you know what I mean) I stopped playing when I moved down south, but they have all kept playing in various bands (wedding bands etc) over the last 40 years. They are all "old pros" so it is easy for me to join in on percussion. There usual drummer is better than me and can sing. We use 2 Bose Poles as a PA, which is great for small to medium venues.
Yes the biggest asset of the electric kit is being able to control the volume in smaller venues. How many bands have you heard that are too loud because everyone has to gear up to the volume of the drums?
I often think many drummers knock Roland kits because they don't like the visual look and they don't want to spend £2k after having bought a full acoustic kit. Maybe the new Pearl electric kit is the solution for them? I'm just off for a practice with the guys.

Glorious
22nd January 2012, 03:15 PM
Yeah I'll be interested in trying my Roland in a live situation. Was actually at a wedding last night and after seeing the band it stirred up the feelings for playing in a band again.

I have no problem with the look of the kit - the sound out of these things is amazing and that's what counts after all. I got a great deal - mint condition TD12, with extra cymbal and DW4000 double pedal, for £1k :thumbs up:

weefossy
23rd January 2012, 11:49 PM
You stole it !!
If you haven't had a go on the V11 hi-hat, give it a try - great feel. Welcome to try mine some time.

Glorious
24th January 2012, 12:04 AM
Oh yeah, I have that one too! Still need to find a consistent sweet spot on it as it can be hit and miss, but yeah it's better than the older versions.

Couldn't believe it was only £1k tbh - bit his hand off!