PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear Last Nite

CooperTrooper
19th July 2004, 10:10 PM
Anyone else see the skoda fabia beating the mini last night on top gear?

anyone else watch it red faced with their pals?

that skoda looks quick, and 50mpg, when is a good deisel mini comin out, like a 130bhp turbodeisel, id buy that . . .

;)

GAJ
19th July 2004, 10:26 PM
Was getting ribbed by my colleague earlier. He admitted he'd still rather have a MINI though!

CooperTrooper
19th July 2004, 10:28 PM
yeah, ive been getting pelters

was dead funny the way the wee guy caugth clarkson on every bend, then wehn the track opened, the skoda took the lead again and got off.

but yeah, i think i'd rather have a BMW than a skoda ;)

Burple
19th July 2004, 10:54 PM
Yeah, this was done a while ago..

Surely to make it fair tho, If they were racing the top of the range fast wee Skoda, they shoulda been racing it aginst an 'S'????

And we know who woulda won that.... :D;)

CooperTrooper
19th July 2004, 11:06 PM
i think they 'previous' one u seen was on fifth gear on channel 5, i saw it a few weeks ago, then saw clarkson etc do pretty much the same thing last night . . . . .

they were makin the '12k' comparison and '9sec 0-60' as the comparison.

Burple
20th July 2004, 12:50 AM
quote:Originally posted by CooperTrooper

i think they 'previous' one u seen was on fifth gear on channel 5, i saw it a few weeks ago, then saw clarkson etc do pretty much the same thing last night . . . . .

they were makin the '12k' comparison and '9sec 0-60' as the comparison.

Ah... right... fair enough..

Still rather have the mini tho! ;):D:D:D:D:D

Not many mad Skoda clubs around are there?? ;):D:cool:

Heather
20th July 2004, 01:05 AM
Yeah but the mini did it with style...thats the differnce:D

ny152
20th July 2004, 02:15 AM
The Fabia VRs is an excellent car (just like its big brother the Octavia VRs).

But its still a Skoda and that image of years past does take a lot to shake off. Saying that it does show how to make a right good fast wee diesel - are you listening BMW ??

Can't wait till the day when MINI bring out the S Turbo Diesel (or maybe not with those initials :p)

p.s. time to 'fess up to owning no less than 6 skodas in the past :I.

phantom
20th July 2004, 02:40 AM
Who cares!! Who the Flipping, Flipity heck would want to be seen in a skoda;)

X30YES
20th July 2004, 04:00 AM
Been getting it all day as well ......and as you rightly say phanton who the donald duck would bee seen in a Skoda

Heather
20th July 2004, 04:01 AM
quote:Originally posted by Goldmini
Can't wait till the day when MINI bring out the S Turbo Diesel (or maybe not with those initials :p)

The STD!hhmmmmmm good name!;)

eddie 44
20th July 2004, 05:10 AM
could ney sleep after watching top gear, beat by a skoda ......
surely a better driver could have gone a roond the corners a bit
quicker... think we should get in touch with the bbc & demand a
rematch, as the skoda has a turbo , the mini should has a super charger !

Big Col
20th July 2004, 03:41 PM
The STD MINI! Bet it would go like the clappers. :D

Heather
20th July 2004, 05:04 PM
:D:D:D:D

The Dogfather
20th July 2004, 05:48 PM
Turbodiesels are the most economical and torquey engines but they sound like a bag of nails. I'd rather have a petrol and this is after owning a couple of TDs.

If BMW did bring out a fast diesel mini then I'd might consider it purely for getting to and from work, but for weekend fun petrol everytime......

R7 ETH
20th July 2004, 06:07 PM
I test drove both the Fabia and the Octavia VRS's before buying the mini. They both had great engines very torquey diesel and smooth turbo on the Octavia, but the interior and the finish i though let them down. Also the fabia handled like a dog the back end is renound for slipping out on roundabouts.:eek:

I test drove both and went for the cooper so i think that says something.

Anyone intrested in skoda's Briskoda.net

Duncan Stewart
20th July 2004, 08:57 PM
Great engine in a dire car does not make it better than a Mini Cooper! However the same engine is available in a Seat Ibiza which looks and handles much better - they also do a 160bhp Seat Ibiza TDi with Cooper S performance - very nice but I would rather have my Mini.
And don't be fooled by the MPG - diesils are very high geared and MPG is thus measured off turbo, I've had turbo Ds in the past and struggled to get over 40mpg in real world driving.

The Dogfather
20th July 2004, 09:02 PM
We had an Audi A2 TDI that could only manage a measly 65mpg in normal driving. Still you never use a full tankfull without something falling off.

Why not get a Mini One D and chip it, it'd be almost as quick as a cooper......

Big Col
20th July 2004, 09:16 PM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

We had an Audi A2 TDI that could only manage a measly 65mpg in normal driving.

<blinks> 65MPG normal driving????? Were you Driving Miss Daisy?????

The Dogfather
20th July 2004, 09:22 PM
No, I developed a strategy for saving fuel - never slow down round corners that way you never have to accelerate. We once went over to the west coast with friends (slow drivers) we got an average of 73mpg out of a tank on that run......

It was as boring as hell though

Heather
20th July 2004, 10:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

However the same engine is available in a Seat Ibiza which looks and handles much better - they also do a 160bhp Seat Ibiza TDi with Cooper S performance - very nice but I would rather have my Mini.

I can agree with that. It was the 160bhp ibiza tdi i had before the mini. Good MPG and very nippy but bland, bland, bland inside. Wasn't too reliable either. My mini is much more fun!:D

KAH
21st July 2004, 12:38 AM
for the money we have all spent on our cars we could have a Faster/more efficient car....But we choose mini and every journey is better because of that:).....nobody waves at you cause you drive a skoda fabia!!!!!!

Big Col
21st July 2004, 04:40 PM
Well...not with an open handed wave anyway...it's more of a wristy gesture I think they get. ;)