PDA

View Full Version : Xenon Bulb

Craig
28th December 2010, 03:18 PM
Well one of my bulbs has gone :frown:

Anyone know the cost of one? Or is it time for a wee upgrade and replace both?? This is just what I don't need right now as I am oncall for work and cannae drive with one headlight and the auto levelling is still not working :argh:

GCA3N
28th December 2010, 05:11 PM
Craig I remember a thread about this a while back and falling off my chair when I found out the price, sure they are something stupid mate. There are supposed to last for ages. Hope you can sort something, did you look through the older threads?

Fartin Martin
28th December 2010, 05:26 PM
circa £120 quid from bmw..or in tht kinda region!

Delboy
28th December 2010, 05:48 PM
circa £120 quid from bmw..or in tht kinda region!

Clucking bell! That's a sore one.

Fartin Martin
28th December 2010, 05:53 PM
Clucking bell! That's a sore one.

most xenon bulbs are in that region..my uncle paid 140 for an audi one..and that wasn't even from audi...

Craig
28th December 2010, 05:57 PM
Yeah I knew from BMW they are over £100 but I have also heard you have to buy in pairs as there can be a colour difference due to age of the bulbs .... They are 4300k bulbs and wondered that if I have to change the both, maybe go for the 6000k upgrade bulbs.. Anybody done that??

Scottie
28th December 2010, 06:03 PM
I upgrade the xenon bulb in the Cabrio when we had it. What a pig of a job really tough to get the bulb back in and clicked into place if I remember correctly we ended up taking the light unit out to refit the bulb. I've had a xenon out on me a couple of times in other motors and it always turned out to be the ballast to be at fault.

I upgrade to 8000k found it to be a whiter and more blue light but not as bright if that makes sense

Fartin Martin
28th December 2010, 06:04 PM
I was gonna as I was getting them on another forum for £45 quid..and was told not to go for it as using other brands may cause the headlight unit to break or something..I did have a thread on it..and it was Dave that said not to do it..I reeeeeally wanted a higher kelvin bulb as well as I think the 4300 isn't blue enough for me :(

Fartin Martin
28th December 2010, 06:07 PM
http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?19671-Xenon-bulb-offer&highlight=

Craig
28th December 2010, 06:52 PM
hmmmm... so if I get a bmw replacement, will I only need 1 and will it match?

Mon the fish
28th December 2010, 06:52 PM
I upgraded mine the other day to Phillips 85122, £59 for 2 from hids4u.co.uk - half the price of BMW, and a lot brighter too. The bluer a Xenon, the increase in colour temp. But also a decrease in output (lumens) - see below

4300k D2S Philips = 3200lm (lumens)
4300k D2R Philips = 2800lm (lumens)
4300k D2S Philips = 2400lm (lumens) actually 5800k
4300k D2R Philips = 2000lm (lumens) actually 5800k
4800k D4S/R (brand) = 3800 (lumens) ** brightest in the market
5800k D4S/R (brand) = 3300 (lumens)
7000k D2S other = 1790lm (lumens)
7000k D2R other = 1390lm (lumens)
8000k D2S other = 1180lm (lumens)
8000k D2R other = 780lm (lumens)

mikeythemini
28th December 2010, 07:35 PM
Very rare for the bulb to go have you tested it ?
Ballasts go but also the connector to the ballast corrodes

Craig
28th December 2010, 10:45 PM
If I'm honest Mikey, I just assumed it was the bulb .... How do I check the ballast?? Car is due into my local garage on 6th Jan to look at a few things anyway so prob get them to check it out ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyP & Lenore
29th December 2010, 12:50 AM
Car is due into my local garage on 6th Jan to look at a few things anyway so prob get them to check it out ;)

"local" garage? Not your 'closest' local garage, surely?

A. :confused:

Craig
29th December 2010, 01:10 AM
"local" garage? Not your 'closest' local garage, surely?

A. :confused:

I did say local garage and not local dealer ;)

If I have my way not a single penny (and I do mean Penny) will ever be given to that dealer whilst I have breath in my lungs. They have shafted me enough :argh:

AndyP & Lenore
29th December 2010, 01:23 AM
I did say local garage and not local dealer ;)

If I have my way not a single penny (and I do mean Penny) will ever be given to that dealer whilst I have breath in my lungs. They have shafted me enough :argh:

Had me worried there for a minute. Thought you'd gone all soft. :lol::lol:

A.:D

mikeythemini
29th December 2010, 09:58 PM
Easy to test the bulb, just swap the left & right ones over

Craig
29th December 2010, 10:32 PM
Easy to test the bulb, just swap the left & right ones over

Cheers Mikey , if it's not the bulb, is there anything that I should then check first? Thanks for the help ;)

Crombers
29th December 2010, 11:14 PM
On call / work / bulb / MINI?

Why are you driving your MINI on these roads & not the fab Punto? :p

Craig
29th December 2010, 11:23 PM
On call / work / bulb / MINI?

Why are you driving your MINI on these roads & not the fab Punto? :p

Cos my big sis bought a rear wheel drive auto merc and can't get out of her street so I gave her the punto meaning I had to use the mini.... Her merc was parked at my mums and I managed to get it out so I'm now using it as her street is still not rear wheel drive friendly :frown:

Craig
6th January 2011, 02:29 PM
Just had an update from the garage... The bulb has gone :frown: £80 ish from Dingbro.. Also got them to check the car over and one of the front pads was just down to the metal so new pads required after only 27k miles.. That's what happens when brakes aren't stripped down at service time :argh: still waiting to find out if they can fix the auto levelling if the lights.....

GCA3N
6th January 2011, 03:13 PM
Just had an update from the garage... The bulb has gone :frown: £80 ish from Dingbro.. Also got them to check the car over and one of the front pads was just down to the metal so new pads required after only 27k miles.. That's what happens when brakes aren't stripped down at service time :argh: still waiting to find out if they can fix the auto levelling if the lights.....

:frown: not good mate.

Craig
6th January 2011, 05:37 PM
Well it ain't the bulb, or the ballast... Turns out it is something to do with a relay I'n the drivers side footwell.... Tried to call Mikey for some advice but he's a busy man... Will try again shortly ,,,,, doesn't look like an easy fix tho :argh:

GCA3N
6th January 2011, 05:43 PM
Well it ain't the bulb, or the ballast... Turns out it is something to do with a relay I'n the drivers side footwell.... Tried to call Mikey for some advice but he's a busy man... Will try again shortly ,,,,, doesn't look like an easy fix tho :argh:

Craig man I tell you this you must seriously love Mini's mate. Hope it gets sorted soon.:thumbs up:

Craig
6th January 2011, 07:33 PM
Spoke to Mikey earlier and gave the garage some ideas. Thanks again Mikey, top man ;). Here's hoping it sorts it :yes nod:

Stewart
6th January 2011, 07:43 PM
Good luck with it.

Scottie
6th January 2011, 07:43 PM
Hopefully someone can shed some light on the problem..........:smilewinkgrin::blush:

sorry couldn't help it.

Gismo
6th January 2011, 09:50 PM
Fingers crossed Craig

Craig
6th January 2011, 10:18 PM
Local dealer said it was the bc1 unit that had water damage.... Hope not ! :thud:

GCA3N
6th January 2011, 10:31 PM
Local dealer said it was the bc1 unit that had water damage.... Hope not ! :thud:

Is that expensive Craig?

Craig
6th January 2011, 10:33 PM
It's approx £500 for the unit and it needs to be coded by a mini dealer. :thud: I do think that they are wrong tho ;)

GCA3N
6th January 2011, 10:39 PM
It's approx £500 for the unit and it needs to be coded by a mini dealer. :thud: I do think that they are wrong tho ;)

Oh Sh1t man just what you need.

Mon the fish
7th January 2011, 08:22 AM
Quite a common fault unfortuneately.

On the subject of bulbs, I put in the Philips 85122, under £60 for 2 from hids4u.co.uk. Not much difference between dipped and main beam now - damn they're bright

Craig
7th January 2011, 09:39 AM
Cheers Gordon.

Keeping my fingers crossed it isn't the bc1 and is just damaged connectors on the ballast ;)

Mini Ecosse
7th January 2011, 10:10 AM

FFS fingers crossed 4 you

Craig
8th January 2011, 12:20 PM
Well, picked the car up this morning...... Total bill.........£240!! ;) Happy man. Thats for fitting the lower strut brace, checking and topping up all my fluids (inc antifreeze, stripping down and cleaning all my brakes and replacing the front pads, plus fixing the headlight and levelling problem which turned out to be a loose wire!. :sheep: I am so chuffed with the guys at the garage. They troubleshooted the problem correctly, unlike a local dealer who wanted to sell them a bulb and a ballast, on a non return and then if that didn't work, wanted to sell them a BC-1 :thud: And people wonder why I don't trust dealers.....:frown:

KenL
8th January 2011, 02:01 PM
On the subject of bulbs, I put in the Philips 85122, under £60 for 2 from hids4u.co.uk. Not much difference between dipped and main beam now - damn they're bright

Not too bright I hope.

GCA3N
8th January 2011, 05:13 PM
Well, picked the car up this morning...... Total bill.........£240!! ;) Happy man. Thats for fitting the lower strut brace, checking and topping up all my fluids (inc antifreeze, stripping down and cleaning all my brakes and replacing the front pads, plus fixing the headlight and levelling problem which turned out to be a loose wire!. :sheep: I am so chuffed with the guys at the garage. They troubleshooted the problem correctly, unlike a local dealer who wanted to sell them a bulb and a ballast, on a non return and then if that didn't work, wanted to sell them a BC-1 :thud: And people wonder why I don't trust dealers.....:frown:

Great news Craig. :thumbs up:

N16SHP
8th January 2011, 07:36 PM
well, picked the car up this morning...... Total bill.........£240!! ;) happy man. Thats for fitting the lower strut brace, checking and topping up all my fluids (inc antifreeze, stripping down and cleaning all my brakes and replacing the front pads, plus fixing the headlight and levelling problem which turned out to be a loose wire!. :sheep: I am so chuffed with the guys at the garage. They troubleshooted the problem correctly, unlike a local dealer who wanted to sell them a bulb and a ballast, on a non return and then if that didn't work, wanted to sell them a bc-1 :thud: And people wonder why i don't trust dealers.....:frown:

...result!!

Craig
8th January 2011, 08:15 PM
Cheers guys :thumbs up: really couldnt have coped with a big bill after xmas... :rolleyes:

Gismo
8th January 2011, 10:44 PM
Hey nice one Craig, glad to hear it

audrey
8th January 2011, 11:57 PM
Brilliant news Craig :D

AndyP & Lenore
9th January 2011, 12:40 AM
That's great news Craig.

A. :D

Mini Ecosse
9th January 2011, 04:04 PM
Great news Craig.

This will help with the pennies towards Leterfinlay Lodge which I see is on the market. Will go well with the rest of your property portfolio :thumbs up::thumbs up:

Craig
9th January 2011, 04:17 PM
Great news Craig.

This will help with the pennies towards Leterfinlay Lodge which I see is on the market. Will go well with the rest of your property portfolio :thumbs up::thumbs up:

Lol ;). It would be nice, it would include free food :yes nod:

The Dogfather
9th January 2011, 05:14 PM
Dealers they can't actually fix only replace and it seems that they can't even diagnose a problem before they replace either......

Out of warranty I'd never take my car to a dealers, glad you got it sorted Craig

Craig
9th January 2011, 05:20 PM
Cheers folks ;)

Hoping that's my luck turning !! :lol: