PDA

View Full Version : warranty

astrocooper
26th December 2010, 02:20 PM
hi our mini warranty runs out shortly and wondering if it is worth buying an extended mini warranty /plan to keep car for another 4 yrs .any idea of cost of warranty / cheers .

GCA3N
26th December 2010, 03:29 PM
For me if you have no plans to sell then 100% yes get it extended. I love the peace of mind and let's be honest it's more than likely to get something going wrong in the next 4 years. As far as price I think you are looking at around the 300 for 3 years but don't take that as gospel.

Go on here for a quote
http://www.miniwarranty.co.uk/Pages/Home.aspx?campaignid=ZED_Brand_Search_230609_31120 9&advertiserid=google_ppc&bannerid=mini_warranty

RobSco
26th December 2010, 05:30 PM
Hi

If you bought your Mini from a Cherished Mini Dealer you will received an invitation letter sent to you where you can enter your login name and PIN...

With the Link that Greig has supplied you can still enter Car Registration Number and choose what cover you require and what excess you want to pay,this is where you'll find,depending on cover it cost's more for a year than what Greig is quoting for three but he did say wasn't sure and I think you might be surprised at the price.

It is peace of mind incase anything goes wrong but find monthly payment far to high to pay each month better putting it aside, it's totally a personal choice but still worth looking at to see what's available but check out what's covered as all is not...

Hope this Helps... :thumbs up:

astrocooper
26th December 2010, 07:58 PM
cheers guys for the replies and help /i guess the better option would be to keep with the mini cherished warranty /there seems to be a few choices so i will need to choose which one ?

KenL
26th December 2010, 08:03 PM
As far as price I think you are looking at around the 300 for 3 years but don't take that as gospel.

Is that for each year or for 3 years?

I would defo look to keeping my current car for a bit longer if you can get a warranty which works out at £100/year.

GCA3N
26th December 2010, 08:27 PM
Is that for each year or for 3 years?

I would defo look to keeping my current car for a bit longer if you can get a warranty which works out at £100/year.

TBH Ken I was kinda having an educated guess mate on previous warranty purchases so it was a guess I could be a bit out. I am sure someone will be along soon with some better knowledge.

Craig
26th December 2010, 08:47 PM
I looked into warrantys and warranty direct were about the best value for money. Can't remember the exact cost, but they were significantly cheaper than mini and better coverage ;). I just thought I would gamble and put a bit aside every month just in case :yes nod:

Stewart
26th December 2010, 10:44 PM
My car is three years old on the 29th and I got the Letter. I decided not to take it as the car has had no problems thus far. If anything did go I think I take it to my local garage that I trust and try and get genuine parts. I still have free services, I have another service.

I actually thought my car was covered for four years from new, so was surprised when it came in the beginning of the month.
You probably can adjust it but on the letter they wanted £25 a month, and as some have experienced if anything does go wrong they would try a wriggle out of it.

GCA3N
27th December 2010, 06:55 AM
My car is three years old on the 29th and I got the Letter. I decided not to take it as the car has had no problems thus far. If anything did go I think I take it to my local garage that I trust and try and get genuine parts. I still have free services, I have another service.

I actually thought my car was covered for four years from new, so was surprised when it came in the beginning of the month.
You probably can adjust it but on the letter they wanted £25 a month, and as some have experienced if anything does go wrong they would try a wriggle out of it.

£25 a month :thud:Id tell them to stick it :moonie:where the sun don't shine. Did you ever consider a non bmw warranty stewart?

GP BILLY
27th December 2010, 09:56 AM
I looked into warrantys and warranty direct were about the best value for money. Can't remember the exact cost, but they were significantly cheaper than mini and better coverage ;). I just thought I would gamble and put a bit aside every month just in case :yes nod:

Just got a quote from Warranty Direct for Nadias clubby S to start next summer
1 years luxury Care Policy £308.77Which basicaly says

Your LuxuryCare Warranty will cover you against the cost of parts and labour following a mechanical or electrical failure, the full comprehensive list of what we cover is listed below.

Included with your warranty is the extra protection of - Recovery, Car Hire, Emergency Travel and Overnight Hotel accommodation you also get free access to our 24 hour recovery helpline operated by AXA assist. This helpline will give you and your family peace of mind that help will be on hand when you need it most.

The real worth of our warranty will only be discovered when you claim and we know that it can often be difficult to decide on the warranty company that deserves your trust. That's why we're delighted to list among our many partners such names as The Telegraph, The Times, The Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday, WhatCar magazine, Auto Trader, Admiral Insurance, Confused.com, Go Compare, This is Money and Honest John.

EXCLUDED COMPONENTS
The following components of the vehicle are NOT covered.

BODYWORK
All bodywork, trim, upholstery, glass, paint, sunroof components, panels, wheels and tyres.

BRAKES
Brake discs and drums, brake pads and shoes.

CLUTCH
Clutch centre/friction plate, cover plate and release bearing.

CONTAMINATED FUEL
The cleaning or unblocking of fuel lines, filters, carburettors, pumps, metering units or idle speed control valves.

ELECTRICS
Lamps, batteries, fuses, and connectors, in-car audio and entertainment systems or navigational systems.

ALARMS AND IMMOBILISERS
Not fitted by the vehicle manufacturer as original specification.

SERVICE ITEMS
Including but not limited to:- Distributor cap, rotor arm, condenser, points, high tension leads, spark plugs, wiper blades, filter elements, bulbs, belts, antifreeze, fluids, grease, fuel or oils.

MISCELLANEOUS
Exhaust gasket, exhaust pipes, catalytic converter, auxiliary drive belts, brackets, mountings, pipes and hoses, water ingress, cables other than clutch cables.

OIL LEAKS
Notwithstanding exclusion 11 of the policy, this covers the cylinder head gasket and seal or gasket replacement that necessitates the removal of the engine, gearbox/drive unit or differential unit to carry out repairs.

CASINGS
Casings are covered provided they have been damaged as a result of failure of an insured part or by the consequential damage of an insured part failing.

SUNDRIES
Sundries such as coolants, lubricants, fluids, oils, filters and other working materials are covered if their replacement is necessitated due to a valid claim, provided the vehicle is not within 1,000 miles of its next service.

1 years Major Care Policy £162.03 (which seems to cover quite a lot)

Your MajorCare Warranty will cover you against the cost of parts and labour following a mechanical or electrical failure, the full comprehensive list of what we cover is listed below.

Included with your warranty is the extra protection of - Recovery, Car Hire, Emergency Travel and Overnight Hotel accommodation you also get free access to our 24 hour recovery helpline operated by AXA assist. This helpline will give you and your family peace of mind that help will be on hand when you need it most.

The real worth of our warranty will only be discovered when you claim and we know that it can often be difficult to decide on the warranty company that deserves your trust. That's why we're delighted to list among our many partners such names as The Telegraph, The Times, The Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday, WhatCar magazine, Auto Trader, Admiral Insurance, Confused.com, Go Compare, This is Money and Honest John.

WHATS COVERED:

Engine
Cam followers, camshaft bearings, camshaft/s, connecting rods and bearings, crankshaft and bearings, cylinder bores, cylinder head, cylinder head gasket, cylinder liners, distributor drive, exhaust manifold, flex plate/ auto drive plate, gudgeon pins, inlet manifolds, liner seals, oil pump and drive, piston rings, pistons, rocker gear/ tappet gear, timing chain and timing chain tensioner, timing gears, valve guides, valve springs, valves (excl. decarbonisation, burnt or pitted valves and valve seats)

Manual transmission
Bearings, bushes, extension shaft, gears, selector shafts and forks, shafts, synchromesh hubs and rings

Automatic transmission
Automatic transmission clutches, bearings, brake bands, bushes, extension shaft, gears, internal governor (manual and electric), oil pump, servos, shafts, torque converter, valve block, valves

Front Wheel Drive Unit
Bushes and internal bearings, C.V. joints, crown wheel and pinion, differential gears and bearings, external drive shafts

Rear axle
Bushes and internal bearings, C.V. joints, crown wheel and pinion, differential gears and bearings, external drive shafts

Propshaft
Centre bearings, universal joints

RobSco
27th December 2010, 10:33 AM
Go on here for a quote
http://www.miniwarranty.co.uk/Pages/Home.aspx?campaignid=ZED_Brand_Search_230609_31120 9&advertiserid=google_ppc&bannerid=mini_warranty

I've just entered my Car Registration and Mileage to the link Greig supplied and it came up with the following

Comprehensive Cover Warranty - Excess £100 - Emergency Service - Yes - Total £465 a Year - £43 a Month...

You can alter the cover and excess to bring premium down but in doing so your not covered for as much and if you increase the excess you have to pay more out of your own pocket when making a claim...

Also states the following

"Please note an Insured Warranty product can only start between 30 and 45 days in the future."

So I take it if you don't continue the insurance when your Cherished Warranty expires you are not covered for this amount of time, so if anything did happen in between you would still have to pay out of your own pocket...

Try the link out for yourselves to see what it would cost... :thumbs up:

GCA3N
27th December 2010, 11:00 AM
:thud: I cannot believe that what a rip off, you'd be better taking £500 and buying some premium bonds,:yes nod:

MiniSnaps
29th December 2010, 08:38 AM
Hmmm,coupled with the exclusions for brakes/exhaust/clutch etc this line
Any item that has worn out rather than suffered from a defect would suggest that they can wriggle out of pretty much any claim on a car that is 5 or 6 years old.