PDA

View Full Version : Engine warning light on

Delboy
24th December 2010, 09:09 AM
Got into my car this morning and started it up. Yellow enging warning light came on in the little window on the rev counter and the car was coughing and spluttering. Switched off for a minute and tried again - same result :argh::argh::argh:. Took my wife's S-Max to work, which, of course, was perfectly fine. Flamin' Minis :frown:.

I'm hoping that it might correct itself once the temperature rises a bit as it was minus 10 on the car gauge.

Anybody had this sort of thing in the cold weather?

GCA3N
24th December 2010, 10:19 AM
What a nightmare Del gutted for you mate. Am I right in saying it is still under warranty Del? Hopefully it will just be a sensor or something similar, mind you the last time you had a sensor issue it took ages to sort. Lets hope you can get it sorted soon.

Craig
24th December 2010, 10:48 AM
Bummer :frown:

Delboy
24th December 2010, 11:06 AM
Thanks guys. Yes, it's still under warranty so I'm ok from that point of view.

The first "engine warning light problem" I had last year had no symptoms associated with it - the car ran normally (it just took the dealer 1 month to find the fault :frown:).

This time is different - the car sounded like it was on three cylinders :thud:.

john
24th December 2010, 12:02 PM
sounds like limp mode, :sad:

switch the ignition on but dont start the engine, leave it on for approx 15 minutes and with a bit of luck it will clear itself (depending on the fault) and then take it to the dealer when you get a chance as it should log the fault.:yes nod:

Delboy
24th December 2010, 12:57 PM
sounds like limp mode, :sad:

switch the ignition on but dont start the engine, leave it on for approx 15 minutes and with a bit of luck it will clear itself (depending on the fault) and then take it to the dealer when you get a chance as it should log the fault.:yes nod:

Thanks John, I'll try that later :thumbs up:.

Delboy
24th December 2010, 02:35 PM
Got home and tried my car again. Sounded better but warning light still came up on the rev counter. I tried John's suggestion above and, hey presto, warning light is away!

I took the car a quick spin in both normal and sport mode and it felt correct. Even the exhaust is popping again when revving in neutral.

Temperature outside is about minus 3-4 so positively tropical compared to this morning!

Thanks John, you're a star!

john
24th December 2010, 02:51 PM
Great news, enjoy!

Merry Xmas

GCA3N
24th December 2010, 05:52 PM
Del that's so good and briiliant advice John well done. Dead chuffed for you Del :thumbs up:

Delboy
24th December 2010, 06:00 PM
Del that's so good and briiliant advice John well done. Dead chuffed for you Del :thumbs up:

Thanks Greig. It never fails to amaze me how good NMS is for help such as this - absolutely brilliant :yes nod:.

Thanks again John - this is certainly a wee tip worth remembering :thumbs up:.

Stewart
24th December 2010, 06:29 PM
Glad the cars better Del.

Was out today up the mearns at 8am and it was around -10, my car had been sitting for days.

I just hate the window trying to drop to open the door all the same.

Delboy
24th December 2010, 07:17 PM
Thanks Stewart. Yeah, it was mega cold this morning, and I know what you mean about the window.