PDA

View Full Version : Which Wheels?

Flash_Amber
15th December 2010, 03:47 PM
Thinking about getting a set of gloss black wheels for my Sparkling Silver Cooper but not sure which ones would suit.

Anys suggestions? :confused:

GCA3N
15th December 2010, 08:42 PM
Thinking about getting a set of gloss black wheels for my Sparkling Silver Cooper but not sure which ones would suit.

Anys suggestions? :confused:

For me stick with an oem one. It would be r112's in gloss black or even the r113's another fav of mine.

Mon the fish
16th December 2010, 09:08 AM
Black OZ ultraleggera IMO

ELFMAN
17th December 2010, 09:55 AM
Ach, everybody's getting black alloys! :smilewinkgrin: (although I think Greig's car would look even COOLER :cool: with his alloys gloss-blacked :yes nod:).

Google and check out ROTA RB Drift, Silver in 17". I'd have a set of these in a minute - They were available in a MINI fitment, but they wouldn't fit over my JCW Brakes :argh:
They're not black, they're Retro - be dfferent!

I had similar MINILITES in 16" on my R53 S and they really suited the car. The 17" ROTA design would look NICE! :thumbs up:

GCA3N
17th December 2010, 01:00 PM
Ach, everybody's getting black alloys! :smilewinkgrin: (although I think Greig's car would look even COOLER :cool: with his alloys gloss-blacked :yes nod:).
:

:thumbs up:

Mon the fish
17th December 2010, 03:11 PM

Google and check out ROTA RB Drift, Silver in 17". I'd have a set of these in a minute - They were available in a MINI fitment, but they wouldn't fit over my JCW Brakes :argh:

I had similar MINILITES in 16" on my R53 S and they really suited the car. The 17" ROTA design would look NICE! :thumbs up:

Still trying to decide whether to get the RB's in silver, with a polished lip, or white ultraleggera's

Neil - TXJ
17th December 2010, 04:53 PM
Choosing wheels is a nightmare. I had narrowed it gown to TD Pro Race or OZ Ultraleggeras as I was keen to stick with 16". However Gismo new car has pointed me towards the R105 but these are 18", not cheap and not the lightest.

Decision, decisions, decisions!!!!

Trigger

KenL
17th December 2010, 08:50 PM
I would stick to MINI wheels, they always look much classier to me.

If you are happy with the wheels you have, why not get the ones you have coated/painted? I mentioned that I liked the wheels on new MINI at Peter Vardy and they said they had many sets coated at a place near Edi at only £40 or so per wheel. At least, that is the price I think he said.

So, if happy with your wheels would be cheaper. If money is not an object, the JCW wheels in black look fantastic.

Mon the fish
18th December 2010, 08:49 AM
A lot of the OEM wheels look good, but are stupidly heavy and have some weird offsets. S-lites are over 11kg(!), Ultraleggera's are nearer 7kg.

That's a big difference...

Flash_Amber
18th December 2010, 10:24 AM
I would stick to MINI wheels, they always look much classier to me.

If you are happy with the wheels you have, why not get the ones you have coated/painted? I mentioned that I liked the wheels on new MINI at Peter Vardy and they said they had many sets coated at a place near Edi at only £40 or so per wheel. At least, that is the price I think he said.

So, if happy with your wheels would be cheaper. If money is not an object, the JCW wheels in black look fantastic.

I did think about having my current ones powder coated as I really like them. Perth Powder Coating is just along the road from me and they seem to have a good reputation, however I'm worried that maybe I wont like them in black???

I do like the JCW wheels in black but they're not cheap!

Oh decisions decisions!!!

Flash_Amber
18th December 2010, 10:27 AM

Just googled these, really like them but....... I like the black ones :blush:

Neil - TXJ
18th December 2010, 11:16 AM
Just googled these, really like them but....... I like the black ones :blush:

Agree but sizes look a bit unusual

A lot of the OEM wheels look good, but are stupidly heavy and have some weird offsets. S-lites are over 11kg(!), Ultraleggera's are nearer 7kg.

That's a big difference...

Agree, I still like the TD Pro Race which appear reasonably priced and lightweight but they are popoular and I would prefer something a bit difference so the Ultraleggera's are still getting my attention

Flash_Amber
18th December 2010, 06:20 PM
Agree but sizes look a bit unusual

Agree, I still like the TD Pro Race which appear reasonably priced and lightweight but they are popoular and I would prefer something a bit difference so the Ultraleggera's are still getting my attention

I've had a look at the TD Pro Race which I do like and are definitely an option as they're a decent price.

jdl_1967
18th December 2010, 08:26 PM
4kg per wheel makes a huge difference and you will definitely notice the difference in how the car feels.

I went from S-spokes (11kg) to 15" Pro Race (c5.5kg).

The ratio of unsprung weight loss to sprung weight loss (weight suspended by the suspension) is approximately 4:1. Therefore every 1kg of unsprung weight, has the effect of feeling as though you've lost 4kg of sprung weight.

So, even at losing only 4kg of unsprung weight per wheel, 16kg in total, equates to the car feeling as thought it had lost approximately 64kg in total! That's the weight of a small person.

Big factory wheels look great, but ruin the way the car feels. Search for road tests on the R53, nearly all press cars only had the 16" X-Lites, 8kg each. Many testers stated that the big 17" wheels ruined the driving characteristics of the car.

After saying all that, I've driven Craig's purple JCW with factory 18s and it felt great, better than my original S-spokes. Go figure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon the fish
20th December 2010, 08:47 AM
For some reason, the 18" R95's are a kilo lighter than the 17" S-Spokes, but still aren't exactly light