PDA

View Full Version : AV Receivers.. what's best these days

AndyP & Lenore
10th December 2010, 01:54 AM
Our trusty Denon AV Receiver is starting to give up the ghost. We need to switch it on for 10 mins before the amp circuits warm up and switch on, and every now and then the audio just goes dead. So, looks like we need a new beast.

What's best these days out of Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Sony etc? Always liked the warm sound from my Denon, but have Sony surpassed them lately or Yamaha.... ?opinions and suggestions welcome.

Would prefer something that can handle multiple HDMI inputs and two HDMI outputs so it takes away my HDMI switch box. Not sure there will be a receiver out there that does that.

Also, do I really need a full receiver? If I can't get a twin HDMI output handling receiver, do I just need an amp? My requirements would be: to take the output from a range of sources; Blu Ray player, Sky + HD box, PS3. And push that audio out to a set of cinema speakers; 5 plus active sub woofer. I also won't need radio reception.

All advice and suggestions welcome...

A.

The Dogfather
10th December 2010, 07:26 AM
Andy, lots of choice around just make sure you get and amp that decodes the latest HD sound from the HDMI cable.

This awarding winning Sony has 4 HDMI signals as all the latest codecs to decode the HD sound: -

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/7105 is £320

or there's this Yamaha at £350

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/6946

Or the one I'd probably have gone for a Pioneer with internet radio at £360, this also has an app so that you can control it with your iphone.

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/6857

All do 7.1 or 7.2 full HD sound, all are 100w per channel.

AndyP & Lenore
10th December 2010, 11:26 PM
That Pioneer looks pretty well specced for the price. Usually a Denon fan, but I may be swayed.

Cheers for the suggestions.:thumbs up:

A.:D

The Dogfather
10th December 2010, 11:31 PM
No worries, I have a Pioneer amp which I bought just before all the new codecs and HDMI stuff came through on affordable amps.

Other than its 'out of date' it has the best sound of both my amps, and its surprisingly good with music.

Gismo
11th December 2010, 10:21 PM
That Pioneer amp doesn't have 2 HDMI outputs, depends on your price range, as you've mentioned, Denon are very good and was sad to see my one go when i moved to the USA

The Dogfather
12th December 2010, 12:51 AM
Missed that Andy wanted two outputs, oops!

AndyP & Lenore
12th December 2010, 01:15 AM
That Pioneer amp doesn't have 2 HDMI outputs, depends on your price range, as you've mentioned, Denon are very good and was sad to see my one go when i moved to the USA

Missed that Andy wanted two outputs, oops!

Thing is I was looking for an amp that has two outputs which are switching, so I can play the PS3 in the dining room and Lenore can watch Sky in the living room. I doubt such a machine even exists.

At the moment we use a HDMI matrix switch box and it works a treat, but it would just be one less piece of kit to plug in is all.

So, a single HDMI output should be fine because I can never seen us needing to output to two different TV's at the same time anyway.

A.