PDA

View Full Version : Winter Tyres

Grouchy
3rd December 2010, 12:55 PM
Hi Folks.

Having problems getting grip in this bad weather (na you dont say!! ha ha!).
So i am going down the winter tyre route.

Now trying to get the run flat tyres in the correct sizes is proving difficult, in fact its impossible!.

So i need 205/45/R17 but the only ones i can get are 205/50/R17.

Is this going to cause any problems, apart from maybe a slight error in the speedo reading. Any concerns with insurance??

P.S. BMW Mini do winter wheel /tyre packages costing £1300 for 17" or £1000 for 16", but wont do the tyres alone!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

stoney
3rd December 2010, 02:00 PM
205/50/17 will be fine you are better going a slightly bigger sidewall in the snow any way i have just got a set to go on to my van

Craig
3rd December 2010, 02:56 PM
I have 215/45/17 and have no problems. Also plenty choice ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheilz
4th December 2010, 01:26 AM
Hi Folks.

Having problems getting grip in this bad weather (na you dont say!! ha ha!).
So i am going down the winter tyre route.

Now trying to get the run flat tyres in the correct sizes is proving difficult, in fact its impossible!.

So i need 205/45/R17 but the only ones i can get are 205/50/R17.

Is this going to cause any problems, apart from maybe a slight error in the speedo reading. Any concerns with insurance??

P.S. BMW Mini do winter wheel /tyre packages costing £1300 for 17" or £1000 for 16", but wont do the tyres alone!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I got my mini winter wheel/tyre package for just over £400 from a dealer in England. I guess if they'd grasped how heavy demand would be for winter tyres I might've had to fork out a bit more.

Grouchy
6th December 2010, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the replies folks.

Sheilz, Thats a very good price you got for your Winter wheel/tyre package. Four new run flats would cost alot more than that alone.

Ta.