PDA

View Full Version : Go for it?

scotty86
2nd December 2010, 06:57 PM
ok av got a 2000 honda civic vti coupe at the mo...

been offered a decent finance offer for a cooper!

stats- 56 plate (new shape) cooper in white with black roof, 30k miles with service history, 6month tax 1yr mot, 1yr warranty, and in show room condition.

finance per month is acceptable and @ 4.75% interest! (its in my work- so staff rates)

take it? or leave it? opinions/advise?

Gismo
2nd December 2010, 07:02 PM
Hmm, tough question, any MINI owner will tell you to go for it, have you test driven it? if so and are happy at the acceleration and handling then go for it.
My main concern for you would be the power difference from the vti to the Cooper, but, a well driven Cooper will leave a great smile :thumbs up:

stoney
2nd December 2010, 07:12 PM
as gismo said most will tell you to go for it but do u want a cooper or a cooper s ???? if your happy with the cooper then go for it it a brill car i love mine to bits but i had a cooper and then traded up to a s in about a year and 1/2 later

Stewart
2nd December 2010, 07:18 PM
I went from a 1999 Honda Civic I got new to the nearly new Mini (it had 1K on the clock) in 2008, the Honda never let me down and never needed any work apart from a burst radiator from a stone and the usual exhaust . But the Mini is a different beast, different feel and have to say I love it to bits. My Coop was the cheaper option as I was nearly in a new Golf GT that was a nice car but I just don’t think I’d still enjoy the drive as much after my few years ownership that I do with the Mini.

Not saying Mini’s don’t have there wee problems and are expensive but I’m happy with my Mini.

satans little helper
2nd December 2010, 08:12 PM
i went from civic type r to a cooper! no regrets, minis more fun and cheaper to run...

KenL
2nd December 2010, 09:20 PM
finance per month is acceptable and @ 4.75% interest! (its in my work- so staff rates)

Forget this! What you need to be researching (or at least asking on here) is what is the spec of the car and what they are asking for it? Also, what they are offering for a trade in.

You could also look on here: http://www.minicherished.co.uk/miniuk/minicherished/homepage/?campaignid=ZED_Cherished_080310_311210&advertiserid=google_ppc&bannerid=mini_cherished at what MINI dealers are asking for used cars. These will be top price with room to negotiate down.

On the car, the Cooper is a great car, I had a 56 plate myself.

scotty86
4th December 2010, 11:10 AM
Forget this! What you need to be researching (or at least asking on here) is what is the spec of the car and what they are asking for it? Also, what they are offering for a trade in.

You could also look on here: http://www.minicherished.co.uk/miniuk/minicherished/homepage/?campaignid=ZED_Cherished_080310_311210&advertiserid=google_ppc&bannerid=mini_cherished at what MINI dealers are asking for used cars. These will be top price with room to negotiate down.

On the car, the Cooper is a great car, I had a 56 plate myself.

im just sating the price given to me by my work for this particular coop is acceptable after my research of prices, year and spec...

i am basicly seeking the opinions of people who might of been a honda owner and made the switch... which a couple of you guys have and thanks v much for the reply's!!!

i am looking to stick the misses on the insurance... so i had thought standard cooper would do but i will be the main driver and have alaways fancied an S never mind a standard cooper... mmm descisions!

AndyP & Lenore
4th December 2010, 11:23 AM
im just sating the price given to me by my work for this particular coop is acceptable after my research of prices, year and spec...

i am basicly seeking the opinions of people who might of been a honda owner and made the switch... which a couple of you guys have and thanks v much for the reply's!!!

i am looking to stick the misses on the insurance... so i had thought standard cooper would do but i will be the main driver and have alaways fancied an S never mind a standard cooper... mmm descisions!

I know exactly what you mean Scotty. Finance is a big a part of buying the car as the car itself. I agree with Ken to a certain extent, if the spec/price is all wrong, you'd be daft to go for the car, but the spec/price issue is not the only issue for most folk when buying a car... If the finance doesn't suit your pocket you still need to walk away, or at least arm yourself with better offers from other dealers to banter a better deal. Luckily, you don't need to do this as you've already said the finance ticks the box.

As for the car... If you've "always fancied an S", you'd be making a mistake going for the cooper. As much as the Cooper is a great car and William and Ken speak highly of them, if you go for one, coming from your S2000, I suspect you'll find it underpowered and only end up changing to an S sooner rather than later. With a car on finance - depending on what percentage of the cost of the vehicle is financed, you may not have this as an option because you'd be in negative equity.

So, I'd do a bit more research, take an S out and take a Cooper out, compare the difference for yourself and then make the informed decision. TBH, I suspect adding your wife to an S insurance won't be that much dearer than adding her to a Cooper insurance policy.

A.

satans little helper
4th December 2010, 12:57 PM
s2k...? vti dont you mean.....:D:p

N16SHP
4th December 2010, 03:05 PM
I know exactly what you mean Scotty. Finance is a big a part of buying the car as the car itself. I agree with Ken to a certain extent, if the spec/price is all wrong, you'd be daft to go for the car, but the spec/price issue is not the only issue for most folk when buying a car... If the finance doesn't suit your pocket you still need to walk away, or at least arm yourself with better offers from other dealers to banter a better deal. Luckily, you don't need to do this as you've already said the finance ticks the box.

As for the car... If you've "always fancied an S", you'd be making a mistake going for the cooper. As much as the Cooper is a great car and William and Ken speak highly of them, if you go for one, coming from your S2000, I suspect you'll find it underpowered and only end up changing to an S sooner rather than later. With a car on finance - depending on what percentage of the cost of the vehicle is financed, you may not have this as an option because you'd be in negative equity.

So, I'd do a bit more research, take an S out and take a Cooper out, compare the difference for yourself and then make the informed decision. TBH, I suspect adding your wife to an S insurance won't be that much dearer than adding her to a Cooper insurance policy.

A.

Well said Mr P, and totally agree with you. I test drove 6 Mini's before I bought one, two Coopers, and 4 S's, finally bought the fourth S that I test drove. I had much the same feeling that although the Cooper was a great solid car, once you feel the power of an S, you'll be hankering after one sooner rather than later. In all honestly, the Supercharged S put a smile on my face, and the new style didn't unless i popped it into sport mode and cained it...but I couldn't justify spending the money on the Supercharged S when the overall quality inside of the newer S was much better.